Anyone with any experience of taking a clothes steamer on ship

A hair dyer certainly gets hot enough to start a fire as can any electrical appliance. I can see why irons are banned because of the very hot plate which if left on could start a fire, steam is very hot but cannot start a fire. The elements inside could if they were faulty.

As for your other comment reference me, you are the type of poster who likes an on line fight, so sad and pathetic.

It would not need to be the element that is faulty. The element does not know if there is water present or not. The water is what keeps the temperature around 212*F, once the water is gone, the heating element continues to heat itself, the air in the water chamber, and the water chamber until the "auto off" switch activates. If this switch fails, the heater will continue to heat until the plastic melts and/or catches fire. If you remember, back in the 80's, if I remember the dates right, Mr. Coffee almost went out of business because of the house fires caused by faulty "auto off" switches, that continued to heat the plastic water chamber until it caught fire.

It would not need to be the element that is faulty. The element does not know if there is water present or not. The water is what keeps the temperature around 212*F, once the water is gone, the heating element continues to heat itself, the air in the water chamber, and the water chamber until the "auto off" switch activates. If this switch fails, the heater will continue to heat until the plastic melts and/or catches fire. If you remember, back in the 80's, if I remember the dates right, Mr. Coffee almost went out of business because of the house fires caused by faulty "auto off" switches, that continued to heat the plastic water chamber until it caught fire.

Many thanks for your detailed explanation. I understand the potential problem now and unlike another poster, you weren't insulting