Royal Colonial Hilton

shortchange1969

We will be in Nassau on the Allure in October. Problem is, we are only there from 7am to 2pm, which probably means we need to be back on the ship no later than 1:30pm. The web sites say the RCH is 9am to 5pm. Opinions on whether or not you think it's worth it for the few hours. RC has an excursion to Blue Lagoon but between the ferry ride back and forth, it cuts into our beach time.

I was there last year in February with my son, ship was in for the same time frame and we enjoyed it. The walk is only 10 minutes, we were there right at 9am. Had lunch at noon, and walked back to the ship. It was our first stop on the cruise and we had a great time. So much so we are going back in May :) We had about 3 hours on the beach with very few people. Now I was only paying for one adult because he was only 5, but it included lunch which was pretty good (had $40 to spend which was more than enough for our lunch, I don't drink so just water, juice and two plates of food, his was a kids meal which I'm not sure they charged me for, in any case it did not come to $40).

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked this day pass yesterday for our group :) I'm really looking forward to spending some time at the beach, if only for a few hours.

To anyone who's been there before, I have a question about the walk from the port to the hotel and safety. I've been reading a lot of posts talking about Nassau and safety. I will have my 68 YO mom with me, so I just want to know, better to walk or take a taxi?

We've done the BCH daypass twice and Blue Lagoon twice.

The BCH is a wonderful spot, an incredibly short 10 minute walk from your ship.

It takes a 5 minute cab ride to Paradise Island ferry terminal to catch the ferry to Blue Lagoon, then waiting to load the ferry, then a 20 minute or so ride and then unload at Blue Lagoon, then repeat coming back.

Blue Lagoon is a great day, but much better suited to a longer stop in Nassau.

BCH is a great choice for such a short day.

I just booked this day pass yesterday for our group :) I'm really looking forward to spending some time at the beach, if only for a few hours.

To anyone who's been there before, I have a question about the walk from the port to the hotel and safety. I've been reading a lot of posts talking about Nassau and safety. I will have my 68 YO mom with me, so I just want to know, better to walk or take a taxi?

The BCH is right to your right when you dock.

The walk is right along the water, until you reach the edge of the hotel (Senor Frogs) then a block inland.

No alleys or away from the crowds.

We will be in Nassau on the Allure in October. Problem is, we are only there from 7am to 2pm, which probably means we need to be back on the ship no later than 1:30pm. The web sites say the RCH is 9am to 5pm. Opinions on whether or not you think it's worth it for the few hours. RC has an excursion to Blue Lagoon but between the ferry ride back and forth, it cuts into our beach time.

Yes worth it, we left a couple hours before needing to be back on the ship and hit Senor Frogs. Stumbled back onto the ship.:D

If Mama can walk a flat distance of 1/2 - 3/4 mile (depending on which berth your ship gets), it's better to walk. The walk is along a well-traveled route so safety should not be an issue (e.g., no dark alleys). A taxi is also an option, but it might take as long as the walk since the cruise port area is very congested. The Hilton British Colonial is a nice, calm, clean place.

We were in Nassau overnight on Navigator and also walked from the cruise port to Senor Frog's at night and did not feel "threatened."

Thanks for posing this question. We're also stopping in Nassau for only a few hours, and had looked at the Hilton. Can you hire smirking gear, wave runner, kayaks or paddle boards etc. We're travelling with 5 teens who prefer to be active, whereas us parents prefer to be sun worshiping. An alternative I'm considering is tiki hut which appears to be a simple beaxh hut but with sea activities for the kids.

Views welcome. X

Thanks for posing this question. We're also stopping in Nassau for only a few hours, and had looked at the Hilton. Can you hire smirking gear, wave runner, kayaks or paddle boards etc. We're travelling with 5 teens who prefer to be active, whereas us parents prefer to be sun worshiping. An alternative I'm considering is tiki hut which appears to be a simple beaxh hut but with sea activities for the kids.

Views welcome. X

With 5 teens, they probably have their own "smirking gear"...:D

Views welcome. X

British Colonial Hilton is in the protected harbour. Wave runners and other motorized vehicles are not allowed to operate in the harbour, They do have snorkeling gear and 2 kayaks which they would have to share with others.

There may not be enough activity on this property for teens. There's a small pool and a quiet beach.

Thanks so much for all of the information! We know the property is a little small, but figured it would be a great place to enjoy the beach and stay within walking distance of the ship :) plus I think it'll be really cool to see the ships from the beach! Good to know about safety too...nice to see that we'll be walking in a populated area!