Upsell fairy - Did I make a good choice

thewynn

I got a call from the upsell fairy last night for our cruise on the Valor this weekend. We were in a 9th floor balcony (8D) and were offered a Grand Suite on the 7th floor for a $500 total upgrade cost so we took it. I had never even researched a Grand Suite because I figured that was outside our price range.

I did like the idea of having a balcony on the Lido deck for easy access to the activities and I figured there would be less foot traffic but the YouTube videos of the GS look pretty decent.

Is $500 worth it for an upgrade to a GS?

So do you only get these calls if you booked directly with carnival and not a travel agent?

I don't know. All I know is my experience: I've always booked directly through Carnival, with my PVP, and I've gotten 3 upsell fairy calls since 2011. I took 2 of the offers, and turned one down.:)

I don't know. All I know is my experience: I've always booked directly through Carnival, with my PVP, and I've gotten 3 upsell fairy calls since 2011. I took 2 of the offers, and turned one down.:)

We booked with an agent so I doubt I'll get a call. Besides our cruise is almost sold out and prices have doubled what we paid a few months ago. We have two inside cabins booked and one is for our daughters so unless it was close I don't think we'd take it anyways.

So do you only get these calls if you booked directly with carnival and not a travel agent?

I also cannot speak with authority on this. This is our 3rd cruise and the 2nd time we have been called, passed on the first one. Our first 2 cruises was booked with a PVP and this one was just through the Carnival website.

From what I understand though it would be difficult to get an upsell through a travel agent though because once they start looking for someone to upsell they just start calling down the list. For instance last night I asked if I could discuss with my wife and call them back and she said I could but in the meantime they would be calling other people. I would think that if a TA is in the middle that the timing would not work out. Again, I have no authority, it is just my observation.

I also cannot speak with authority on this. This is our 3rd cruise and the 2nd time we have been called, passed on the first one. Our first 2 cruises was booked with a PVP and this one was just through the Carnival website.

From what I understand though it would be difficult to get an upsell through a travel agent though because once they start looking for someone to upsell they just start calling down the list. For instance last night I asked if I could discuss with my wife and call them back and she said I could but in the meantime they would be calling other people. I would think that if a TA is in the middle that the timing would not work out. Again, I have no authority, it is just my observation.

That's makes a lot of sense, thanks!

I had FTTH and am now wondering- what perks do I lose by dropping that and only having the suite. I know I have priority embarkation/debarkation but what about being able to go straight to our room when we board or priority line for guest services?

Will our luggage be delivered as quick, I notice our baggage tags doesn't say anything about about priority now.

I had FTTH and am now wondering- what perks do I lose by dropping that and only having the suite. I know I have priority embarkation/debarkation but what about being able to go straight to our room when we board or priority line for guest services?

Will our luggage be delivered as quick, I notice our baggage tags doesn't say anything about about priority now.

You get VIP check-in, priority boarding and priority debarkation with the Suite -no other perks. We buy the Suite and the FTTF. The only redundancies with having both are the check-in, boarding, and debarkation.

Edited by ShakyBeef

"Exclusive Amenities" for Suites:

• VIP check-in
  • Priority embarkation and debarkation
  • Mini Bar or Refrigerator
  • Deluxe bathroom featuring whirlpool tub*

What's included with FTTF:

Priority Check-in

Bypass lines and have exclusive security screening lanes for initial embarkation at onset of cruise.

Guaranteed Stateroom

Your stateroom will be ready as soon as you board, so you can relax or freshen up for the fun you're about to have.

Express Luggage

Your luggage will be expedited to your stateroom so you can unpack and get settled in for a great vacation!

Guest Services

You'll have a dedicated phone number and line at Guest Services so you can quickly have your questions answered.

Dining Reservations

Priority Main Dining Room and Specialty Restaurant reservations (excluding Your Time Dining).

Priority Tender Boarding

We hope you take advantage of Carnival's Excursions. If you choose to explore the destination on your own, you will have the option to choose a priority tender from the ship to shore.

Debarkation

We're always sad to see you go. But when your cruise is over, you may choose an early or late debarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

You can absolutely get an up sell with a travel agent. Instead of you getting the call, the agent is called, and then they call you. If you don't have a good travel agent, then they might wait too long, but most that know what they are doing will be able to get it for you if you want it.

If you booked through an online travel agent, then it is much less likely, because most of those are just online order takers that don't offer any personalized service.

Yikes. The upswell lady told me to cancel my FTTH so I did and only after started seeing that there weren't as many perks. Not going to our room right off is bad, that is the main reason we got FTTH. Darn.

Oh, that sucks. I'm sorry.:( Is FTTF still available? Can you re-buy it? Good luck!:)

I have only received the upsell calls when I booked direct with Carnival. Hoping to get the call later this year on the Magic. Took the offer on the Conquest to go from Balcony to Ocean Suite.