A "Dutch Ocean Liner"

OlsSalt

LA Times Travel section has full page advertising page touting vacation packages that include a "Dutch Ocean Liner" -- aka Holland America ships.

Some how that struck me as a funny way to describe HAL, but is of course technically correct - flagged in Rotterdam, as they are. But the quaint term "ocean liner" has also not been used for years for cruise ships. Again, one of HAL's signatures - classic, more formal ocean sailing features.

Some of the packages looked quite interesting combining trains, hotels and four day cruises on those "Dutch Ocean Liners".

Yes it is strange that any HAL ship should be described as an ocean liner as none of them have the correct shape hull to be called such, technically.

I'm sure someone will correct me but I believe Cunard's Queen Mary is the only true ocean liner at the present time.

http://cruisedeals.expert/whats-the-difference-between-cruise-ships-and-ocean-liners/

Edited by Mumsysailor

As reports are coming in from the mega-ship RCCL Oasis of the Seas not doing very well in high seas and heavy winds, the difference between an ocean liner and today's hulking floating party platforms becomes a critical selling point for anyone heading out into open seas.

The Queens do get their due respect now as being wave-cutting heavy hitters in rough seas. So I suspect the classic lines of the older HAL ships might be a little more sea worthy as well. I don't know. But it was both the lines of the ships and the large capacity engines that keep the Queens in the ocean liner class.

Who knows, after this scary RCCL incident, selling HAL ships as "Dutch ocean liners" may be the new advertising wave.

Edited by OlsSalt

QM2 is the only true passenger liner at sea today & because she also cruises she is a cruise / liner.

BUT - LINER relates to the trade - ie the service the vessel is on - it is NOT a type of SHIP. Therefore the nonsense about hull shape is not correct. Most passenger liners were built decades ago & that was the evolved shape. QM2 was built to handle the N. Atlantic ocean & a higher speed than regular cruise ships. The other two Queens are Vista class ships similar to the HAL vista class.

The advert for Dutch liners is just typical of the ignorant advertising & media with regards to shipping.

The only liner services at sea these days are operated by Container ship companies where the sailings are scheduled.

The RCC ship caught up in the Atlantic storm is Anthem of the Seas. These large blocks of apartments on a shallow draft barge with 2 outboard legs [azipods] are difficult to handle in very strong winds.

So when you go on your cruise you are NOT on a LINER - nor are you on a BOAT - you are on a cruise ship with boats along each side.

As some captains say - You can put a boat on a ship - but you can't put a ship on a boat.

A few years ago I strayed from HAL and sailed NY to Southampton on QM2. Great experience but once was enough. Very different from a cruise ship but I will say we were not allowed out on deck for several days because of high seas and never once for a moment did we notice any movement of the ship inside. I love to feel that I'm on a ship (as Sea Dog 46 defines it) I'm not too keen on getting into the "boats". :-)