Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

Was it Istanbul or Izmir they cancelled? I was thinking Istanbul.

As with a hurricane, Carnival probably wants to wait and see until closer to the cruises.

They haven't issued anything specific to Istanbul to NOT travel there beyond the general Turkey warnings. Although I did cancel our post cruise Istanbul visit.

Here are the State Department travel announcements regarding Istanbul.

http://istanbul.usconsulate.gov/citizen_messages.html

Bummer about Mykonos being a tender port. I'm all for visiting Izmir and hope we visit it as we're booked on the May 1st sailing. Secretly though, if was to be canceled, I've been hoping we'd sail to Mykonos.

But getting that many people off/on via tender just might be what folks find exciting since it's not what we were expecting at all.

We tendered at both Santorini & Mykonos on Celebrity Reflection, there was no delays getting ashore or back on board at either port and the ship had 3600 passengers aboard, only 300-400 less than Vista.

I guess my only thing is, what exactly should they wait and see about? It's not like it's some secret what's happening around that part of the world. It's different than a hurricane, because it's not going to instantly change course or be better. Although, maybe next year? Totally could be different. By the summer? Unlikely.

Agreed. I canceled our post cruise Istanbul visit because I couldn't predict what June would be like other than I don't see it getting better in the short term.

I needed to do it now as we were traveling on award flights and it was on Turkish airline. The airline didn't concern me so much but even if things get much worse Turkish airlines isn't going to cancel a flight to Istanbul. If they did we could re-book elsewhere for free. That's not going to happen.

So we could change our award flights now (pay $75/ticket) as there's still a little availability, wait it out and fly into Istanbul or wait and cancel our flights and pay out of pocket (no thanks). So we are now by-passing Turkey all together.

Edited by fuddrules

Agreed. I canceled our post cruise Istanbul visit because I couldn't predict what June would be like other than I don't see it getting better in the short term.

I needed to do it now as we were traveling on award flights and it was on Turkish airline. The airline didn't concern me so much but even if things get much worse Turkish airlines isn't going to cancel a flight to Istanbul. If they did we could re-book elsewhere for free. That's not going to happen.

So we could change our award flights now (pay $75/ticket) as there's still a little availability, wait it out and fly into Istanbul or wait and cancel our flights and pay out of pocket. So we are now by-passing Turkey all together.

We are flying Turkish through Istanbul as well in June. I am not worried about that at all. For that matter, Istanbul airport as some of the toughest security in the world.

Did you change your airline? Or just your post trip plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are flying Turkish through Istanbul as well in June. I am not worried about that at all. For that matter, Istanbul airport as some of the toughest security in the world.

Did you change your airline? Or just your post trip plans?

We were staying in Istanbul for 3 days. That's the part we changed. Going through Istanbul airport or flying Turkish airlines wouldn't concern me. I'd rather fly Turkish than United but I don't really have a choice.

Edited by fuddrules

We were staying in Istanbul for 3 days. That's the part we changed. Going through Istanbul airport or flying Turkish airlines wouldn't concern me. I'd rather fly Turkish than United but I don't really have a choice.

Ah, yes. It doesn't concern me at all either. That's a bummer about Istanbul. I am not one to shy away or be influenced by things happening, like they currently are...BUT you also have to use your gut feeling sometimes. Hopefully within a year or two, things will be much more calm.

Then you have an excuse to go back, as well!

A little bit of news for what it's worth..As some of you know I've been following a few different threads on the "Turkey topic" in different forums. I just read this on the HAL forum..copied and pasted it here for you..

A passenger on board ms Prinsendam (in Greece at the moment) just posted this on facebook.

Quote: Moments ago we received word the US State Department recommends travelers to avoid Istanbul, Turkey and some other cities in Turkey so our ship will be changing its itinerary. Disappointing but prefer to be safe. unquote.

Also, Here's the link to the actual thread on the HAL forum. This quote was from post #22

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2334361&page=2

I realize this isn't Carnival but HAL is owned by the Carnival Corp..Anyway, I thought I would share the info with you all.

Can someone explain this more? What is the ships current itinerary that is changing? The quote obviously makes it sound that whatever it was, does not include Turkey anymore.

In the case If someone else wants to write to carnival by email as i just did?

We are right now scheduled to cruise on the Vista from Athens on May 24th.* Watching and reading the news, it appears that there are significant issues in the Piraeus port area with stranded refugees, and in Izmir with a travel alert and the US*Government ordering all non military personal out of the area.* We have also seen how other*cruise lines have adjusted embarkation ports and itineraries recently.**

What if any steps is Carnival taking to monitor the situation, or what if any decisions*has Carnival made about*changing the embarkation port away from Athens or replacing Izmir?* If none,*what other steps is Carnival taking in relation to passenger security?* Finally, is Carnival considering offering options to any scheduled passengers who are uncomfortable or insecure under these circumstances? *

In the case If someone else wants to write to carnival by email as i just did?

We are right now scheduled to cruise on the Vista from Athens on May 24th.* Watching and reading the news, it appears that there are significant issues in the Piraeus port area with stranded refugees, and in Izmir with a travel alert and the US*Government ordering all non military personal out of the area.* We have also seen how other*cruise lines have adjusted embarkation ports and itineraries recently.**

What if any steps is Carnival taking to monitor the situation, or what if any decisions*has Carnival made about*changing the embarkation port away from Athens or replacing Izmir?* If none,*what other steps is Carnival taking in relation to passenger security?* Finally, is Carnival considering offering options to any scheduled passengers who are uncomfortable or insecure under these circumstances? *

Sorry, here's email; rfrizzell@carnival.com

We tendered at both Santorini & Mykonos on Celebrity Reflection, there was no delays getting ashore or back on board at either port and the ship had 3600 passengers aboard, only 300-400 less than Vista.

This makes sense to me as no cruise line would want to spend hours upon hours just getting people off a ship then spend hours upon hours getting them back. I didnt understand the previous poster commenting about it taking hours to get people tendered to Santorini and the same situation back.

Can someone explain this more? What is the ships current itinerary that is changing? The quote obviously makes it sound that whatever it was, does not include Turkey anymore.

I found the Prisendam roll call for this HAL cruise and asked for some more specific information. Hopefully, I will get an answer from someone in the roll call (although its a 55 day cruise and someone might not check it again for a long time). If I dio I will post here.

This makes sense to me as no cruise line would want to spend hours upon hours just getting people off a ship then spend hours upon hours getting them back. I didnt understand the previous poster commenting about it taking hours to get people tendered to Santorini and the same situation back.

Well I am not lying I can assure you. We were on the Celebrity Equinox and we took a ship excursion so we could get off the ship early.We visited Oia and a winery. Celebrity used local boats for tendering, it was very rough in the bay and they were still tendering people off the ship when we were in line at the end of our tour to take the cable car back down the hill.The lines were so long for the cable car that we had to wait about 2 hours to get back down the hill to catch a tender. There was one other ship in port that left while we were standing in line.There are 3 ways to get down the hill. Donkey,walk or cable car.If you still don't understand do some research on Santorini and then maybe you will understand.Your post is insulting.

Those who want Carnival to provide options including an alternate port should read the cruise contract and should have taken out cancel for any reason insurance.

Carnival is certainly not going to divulge, for obvious reasons, additional security details.

The government has not ordered all non-military persons out of the area - only those associated with the military or government. They have not told tourists to leave or restricted tourist travel to Turkey.

Well I am not lying I can assure you. We were on the Celebrity Equinox and we took a ship excursion so we could get off the ship early.We visited Oia and a winery. Celebrity used local boats for tendering, it was very rough in the bay and they were still tendering people off the ship when we were in line at the end of our tour to take the cable car back down the hill.The lines were so long for the cable car that we had to wait about 2 hours to get back down the hill to catch a tender. There was one other ship in port that left while we were standing in line.There are 3 ways to get down the hill. Donkey,walk or cable car.If you still don't understand do some research on Santorini and then maybe you will understand.Your post is insulting.

Did I say you were lying? No. I said I did not understand why it took so long. Now, you are stating it was because it was rough in the bay while they were tendering. THAT is the reason it took so long it seems. Its not because of the amount of people that it took hours and hours.

Carnival is responsible for keeping its passengers safe, if there is even a perceived danger it would behoove Carnival to switch up ports or skip a port. The fact is this is already costing Carnival money. In the last 2 weeks our cruise has dropped more than $300 per person, so at least the perception is there because Carnival clearly can't fill the boat.

Carnival is responsible for keeping its passengers safe, if there is even a perceived danger it would behoove Carnival to switch up ports or skip a port. The fact is this is already costing Carnival money. In the last 2 weeks our cruise has dropped more than $300 per person, so at least the perception is there because Carnival clearly can't fill the boat.

Carnival won't intentionally risk the ship or passengers. Cruise ships can't pull into any port - there are logistics and contingencies that need to be worked. The best thing to do could easily be no changes.

Travel to and within Europe has also been affected. It is not just Carnival that is affected, nor just travel to Turkey.

For the early Vista cruises, Carnival already has the money as it is beyond final payment.

Did I say you were lying? No. I said I did not understand why it took so long. Now, you are stating it was because it was rough in the bay while they were tendering. THAT is the reason it took so long it seems. Its not because of the amount of people that it took hours and hours.

I really do not know why it took so long I only know that it did. I was told at the time that it is common for the bay to be very rough. I also do not know why they used local boats for tendering rather than the lifeboats.Some of the local boats used were not the greatest.:eek:

I much preferred Mykonos and if we were to go there that would be dandy with me.

I was in Santorini last year on the Equinox as well and I found that it wasn't the tendering to port that took a long time but the Fira cable cars. Once we managed to get down to the port, there weren't any line ups at all. I think your original post you said it took 2 hours to tender when in reality you stood in line for two hours for the cable car. I don't think anyone meant any insult.

Another update from that HAL cruise:

I found this by the same poster on board Prinsendam re turkey

qute

TODay we were supposed to arrive in Istanbul at 2pm, and spend 2 nights in the city. Instead we are calling on Myrina, Greece. Tomorrow we will make a brief stop in Istanbul because there are passengers and crew members who are disembarking and embarking from that port. No passengers will be allowed off the ship unless it's their final destination. We have 1 other Turkey port of call scheduled but based on the US Dept of State travel advisory it's likely HAL will adjust the itinerary once again. There's been absolutely no grumbling or complaining by passengers. We all wanted to visit Istanbul and are disappointed but understand and agree with the decision made to protect our safety.

unquote