Epic unable to dock in Civitavecchia today

Number34

When we missed Livorno on the Epic a few years ago, they issues a new Freestyle Daily during the morning which was vastly different. The Beatles band put on a show in the Theatre for example. It was a really enjoyable day.

Our port fees were also refunded the same day.

Shame if they didn't do anything similar this time.

On our 13th January sailing it didn't look as if we would make it into Palermo. The seas were a bit rough the day before and the captain made the announcement about not taking chances so I quite expected the port of call to get cancelled.

We were supposed to be in port at 8.00, but were not. Looking on the TV showed our position to be sailing away from Palermo on course for Naples. It also informed us that the last port of call was Cagliari and the next Naples which I therefore took to mean that the Palermo call had been abandoned.

I was most surprised to look again at 8.45 to see that we had docked. The captain had obviously turned around and had another (successful) attempt at getting in to port.

This may explain why on your cruise the captain did not make the announcement until after 8.00. He may still have had hopes of getting into port. They wouldn't cancel Civitavecchia without good cause as it's one of their biggest earners in terms of shore excursion revenue.

They printed a new freestyle daily which had the usual seaday offerings and the bars opened earlier. We should have gotten port fees refunded but it was never announced and actually didn't happen automatically.

I was also on the sailing and can confirm that the port fees were not refunded, which was odd to me. We had been billed 240 CAD for the port fees (February 3 - 14 sailing). We asked guest services and were informed that there would be no refund.

I was not expecting freebies - only to be fairly reimbursed the port fees.

Edited by bellevuemountain
(Sailing date)

Sea days on the Epic are very crowded, especially in cooler weather when more people are inside and looking for something to do. But I cannot believe that there was "nothing extra provided" and they just stuck to the same port day schedule (with almost all bars and restaurants closed all day). I know you wanted free bowling, but I'm sure they prepared a new sea day schedule with new opening hours and some added activities.

Yes there was a new freestyle daily offered with a few extra things, but on the whole I do not think they provide enough activities for sea days. Especially unless you don't want to pay any extra. Knowing the weather on these cruises (the particular destination and time of year) isn't too brilliant I feel they should provide more activities.