Internet / Phone Capability on Valor (departing Sat.)

BeadedGoblets

I'm rather a novice and am hoping for advice on internet and phone usage.

We don't have a Verizon international plan. If I understand correctly, we can turn our phone to Airplane Mode which would allow us to take photos (and IF we were in port with free wifi) could check emails. However, I understand that we shouldn't click off Airplane Mode to make or receive calls or make or receive texts or we'll be hit with some big charges.

I have an iPad that isn't connected to Verizon. Is there an inexpensive internet plan (this is a 7-day) that would allow us to check FB on a once-a-day basis (to make there are no family emergencies). I think I saw an internet plan (FB only) that would be less expensive than accessing our emails.

Hope to get some good advice today (including where could I order this from Carnival before embarking and any apps I'd need to download).

Again, just looking to check once a day to make sure no at-home emergencies have cropped up.

Edited by BeadedGoblets

Just off Valor last month. $60 for 7 day cruise gets you access to Facebook and some other social media. Check the website for the breakdown. It worked fine for me and my GF since she can't go 7 minutes without being on Facebook

Kept airplane mode on during sea days. You don't want people calling you and you getting a bill for it thru Verizon. And we didn't text either on Sea days.

Did call our provider (AT&T), told them where we were going and for $30 I was able to text and call people from the islands without roaming fee's and such

I'm guessing that as long as family knew to Private Message me through FB I could get emergency messages? that's really the only time we'll be on.

or....are you saying that in ports we can leave our (Verizon) phones on airplane mode and perhaps check email or FB postings from free-wi-fi spots without incurring Verizon charges?

also, do we set this up and pay ahead of time and do i need to download any apps or anything?

Thanks for the info and quick response!

We don't have a Verizon international plan. If I understand correctly, we can turn our phone to Airplane Mode which would allow us to take photos (and IF we were in port with free wifi) could check emails. However, I understand that we shouldn't click off Airplane Mode to make or receive calls or make or receive texts or we'll be hit with some big charges.

I have an iPad that isn't connected to Verizon. Is there an inexpensive internet plan (this is a 7-day) that would allow us to check FB on a once-a-day basis (to make there are no family emergencies). I think I saw an internet plan (FB only) that would be less expensive than accessing our emails.

Hope to get some good advice today (including where could I order this from Carnival before embarking and any apps I'd need to download).

Again, just looking to check once a day to make sure no at-home emergencies have cropped up.

I don't know about using my iPhone other than for picture taking. I keep it on airplane mode the whole time I am cruising. Even if on an island with free wifi, I don't believe you can use the Internet if your phone is on airplane mode. Have never tried.

I take my iPad and use free wifi in port. On the ship, you can buy the social plan for $5 a day or $25 for the 7 days cruise. You can only access the social media such as facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. There are 2 internet plans which gives you Internet access to emails etc. The cheaper one is $16 a day. Not sure of the cost for the entire week. You sign up onboard.

FYI: if you buy the social media daily one and you time it right, you can actually access it over a period of 2 days. It is for 24 hours so if you buy it on day1 at 7pm, you have access until 6:59pm of the next day

Having said that, not all ships have the new social plan yet.

If you wanted to make a phone call from your cabin phone, it is $1.99 per minute.

Hope this helps

Im guessing Valor doesn't have the $5/day option?

Does anyone know I'd i can access free wifi in Pitt while still on airplane mode? If not I'll take my noon-verizon ipad to port???

I just messaged my friend who is presently on the Valor. She said the social plan is available on the Valor for $25 for the week or $5 per day.

Try putting your phone or ipad on airplane mode at home and check. When I do, no internet connection. You are safe using your ipad without the airplane mode as it is not connected to a plan.

Thank you SO MUCH for contacting someone on board. I'll take my iPad and purchase the $25 social connection. I'm wondering if i can purchase that before we embark and will try to check on that now....

Again, thanks to all for this good information.

You are welcome. Enjoy your cruise!

Couple of tid bits of info.

Putting your phone in airplane mode is not essential to avoid unwanted charges.

For text messaging, I think Verizon is similar to ATT. 50 cents to send txts, 5 cents or nothing to receive txt's.

For calling, before boarding the ship, find out from Verizon how to set your phone to unconditional call forwarding and how to turn it off. The blocks any call to your number from actually reaching your. We forward our phones to our home number.

You can also set your phone to turn off data roaming...outside of talking one the phone for hours, data use is could generate big $$$$ in usage costs. Turn off roaming to avoid this.

If airplane mode is used, you can turn on airplane mode and then turn wifi back on. Airplane mode usually turns off wifi, but wifi can be turned back on and used while phone is in airplane mode.

My wife and I both have iphones on AT&T's network, we never use airplane mode, turn off roaming, forward our cell numbers to our home number. In over a dozen cruises we've never incurred unwanted charges. We choose to use txt messaging both on and off the ship and pay those charges that we choose to incur after our sailing.

Edited by bar1068

My plan is to keep the Ipad in the cabin and only check FB Messaging once a day (just for emergencies at home). My goal is to spend as little time on the Ipad as possible.

I plan to turn my (Verizon) phone to Airplane Mode but turn off the data. However, I will take the phone to ports because I'm going to use the camera feature on the phone.

Do you think this is sufficient to protect me against any Verizon surprises when I get home?

My plan is to keep the Ipad in the cabin and only check FB Messaging once a day (just for emergencies at home). My goal is to spend as little time on the Ipad as possible.

I plan to turn my (Verizon) phone to Airplane Mode but turn off the data. However, I will take the phone to ports because I'm going to use the camera feature on the phone.

Do you think this is sufficient to protect me against any Verizon surprises when I get home?

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this is too late for the OP but I recently went to Europe with my iPhone and what I did was turn the Airplane Mode ON (SETTINGS) and just under that, I turned the WiFi ON. This means no calls, and data ONLY when there is Wifi.

The only time I turned the Airplane Mode on was when I was going to make a call. Verizon has a 'ship/cruise' plan that is $40. 100 minutes of call time (25 cents per minute over 100). 100 outgoing texts (25 cents per outgoing text over 100, and unlimited incoming texts. 100 MB data. I only ended up using 20 minutes of call time (in 3 weeks) and maybe 60 MB data as I found wifi a lot of places.

I WAS wondering if anyone had any recent experience getting the $5 per day plan and using iMessage??? I used it constantly in Europe and of course it's free! Facetime Audio works well too on wifi for calls but just not sure if the 'social' plan will work with iMessage? Thanks!

I have Verizon and always get their 30-day $40 international/cruise plan which give you 100 voice minutes, 100mb data, 100 outbound texting and unlimited inbound texting. You can use your phone on land and on the ship. They also have an $80 plan with more. I combine the $40 Verizon plan with the $5 a day social internet plan and that covers everything. To get it you have to call Verizon and give them your ship name and they'll activate it.

While off the ship the key to not getting overages is to turn off data services and auto push services such as e-mail and Facebook and only turn them on manually when you need them. While data is turned off you can still send/receive text messages and use Wifi. Hope that helps!

I could be wrong but on a ship, you always use satellite with a cell to make a call. The charges are based on satellite costs and are not Verizon costs. Although you are billed from Verizon for your ship calls, they are not based on a plan from Verizon. I could be wrong but I've cruised a lot and always with Verizon and have always experienced that.

On land is a whole 'mother story. Verizon has pretty decent plans these days when traveling or u can just swap out SIM cards when you arrive at your destination.

I could be wrong but on a ship, you always use satellite with a cell to make a call. The charges are based on satellite costs and are not Verizon costs. Although you are billed from Verizon for your ship calls, they are not based on a plan from Verizon. I could be wrong but I've cruised a lot and always with Verizon and have always experienced that.

On land is a whole 'mother story. Verizon has pretty decent plans these days when traveling or u can just swap out SIM cards when you arrive at your destination.

Right that's how it used to be. Now Verizon has a contract/roaming agreement with the cell/satellite operator Cellular at Sea to provide cell phone service on the ship. The same is true for for other cruise lines like Royal Caribbean, I believe AT&T also does the same. They negotiate a flat or bulk rate (not sure which one) with the provider and there's no extra charges to the customer other than overages if you exceed your plan. I've used the service 5 times and only been charged the $40 flat rate. When you call Verizon they'll ask you for the ship name and sail date to confirm the service is offered on that cruise line. After purchasing the plan you'll receive an e-mail from Verizon stating your plan details and the ship name and sail date.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Right that's how it used to be. Now Verizon has a contract/roaming agreement with the cell/satellite operator Cellular at Sea to provide cell phone service on the ship. The same is true for for other cruise lines like Royal Caribbean, I believe AT&T also does the same. They negotiate a flat or bulk rate (not sure which one) with the provider and there's no extra charges to the customer other than overages if you exceed your plan. I've used the service 5 times and only been charged the $40 flat rate. When you call Verizon they'll ask you for the ship name and sail date to confirm the service is offered on that cruise line. After purchasing the plan you'll receive an e-mail from Verizon stating your plan details and the ship name and sail date.

WOW! Thats amazing. I wish I knew about this. I do not think my past cruises used Cellular at Sea so maybe thats why I didnt know. Maybe I never asked...who knows? Anyway, I have an upcoming Vista cruise and Verizon said the plan they have on the ship is 100 or 250 minutes....although you can use the minutes off the ship it doesnt seem cost effective to use it on land. I am not sure. I have to check more into all the plans. There are so many.

I think its great that Verizon finally has some cost effective plans for traveling on land and sea abroad. Thanks for telling me!

WOW! Thats amazing. I wish I knew about this. I do not think my past cruises used Cellular at Sea so maybe thats why I didnt know. Maybe I never asked...who knows? Anyway, I have an upcoming Vista cruise and Verizon said the plan they have on the ship is 100 or 250 minutes....although you can use the minutes off the ship it doesnt seem cost effective to use it on land. I am not sure. I have to check more into all the plans. There are so many.

I think its great that Verizon finally has some cost effective plans for traveling on land and sea abroad. Thanks for telling me!

You're welcome :)

This is great news about Verizon offering this service. We sail on the Valor in 5-6 weeks. I'll have to check this out. I'll just be certain NOT to tell anyone at work...On our previous two cruises it was nice to get off the grid for a week.

Thank you for all the info. I think we will get the cruise length social media pkg. There are two babies due around our cruise time. My sons girl friend has a little sister due that is a high risk pregnancy due the day we get back. Also a girl in my office is due two weeks after and I need to cover her duties. I hope she keeps her knees together til I can get back. Lol. But we can stay informed with one of these packages.