Butlers

brightonbuoy

We have just returned from our first Regent cruise on Navigator and I have to say it was the best cruise experience we've ever had. Staff and food were outstanding. Suite size was extremely generous. Yes she was a little dated, but then we knew about the dry dock so no complaints there. No noticeable vibrations and no dirty water ( maybe a little brown ), but didn't bother us.

My one complaint would be the butler. Having introduced himself on embarkation day we saw him perhaps 4 afternoons when he delivered canapés. Apart from that ..... Nothing.

On day 1 we asked him to try and make us a second reservation sometime during the cruise for Prime Seven. After 4 days of not hearing back we managed to find him and ask if he'd had any joy. Basically he told us he couldn't do anything. We went to Prime Seven that night and were able to make a booking for a few days later without any problem.

Upon leaving the ship, we left our suite ( penthouse ) and saw him in the suite opposite. He literally turned his back on us.

I'm not sure what we did wrong as we were always polite to him. Perhaps he was homophobic? Unfortunately for him, the envelope I had in my hand with an extra gratuity ( not quite sure why we even thought about giving him anything ) went straight into my pocket.

We wouldn't hesitate to travel again on Regent, but maybe we will stick to concierge level!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi BB, That's such a shame about your Butler, did you think he was openly homophobic when he interacted with you?...if so, you should mention that on feedback. It seems not to have affected your cruise so thats great but i wonder if the staff are not expecting tips as (some on here) don't like to do the tipping and maybe don't get involved on the final day. It's pretty rude either way.

We have done 2 Regent cruises last year and have another 2 planned for this year. We have stayed in concierge level and will continue to do so.

I wonder if anyone really reaps the rewards with a "Butler"

The concierge level on Mariner and Voyager have been splendid.

Hope you had a good holiday. :)

brightonbuoy: Truly hope that your butler was not homophobic as, IMO, there is no place for that on Regent (or anywhere else for that matter). Did you make mention of this on your final questionnaire? I hope so.

While most butlers ib Regent are wonderful, we have run into a couple that were not in our 24 cruises. Both times we asked to have the butler replaced and were satisfied with the replacement. We find our butlers useful but no in making extra dining reservations (I should not generalize as a few have been great). We have had better results making reservations ourselves. While I believe that tipping creates an expectation that can make passengers feel uncomfortable, that is a discussion for another thread.

Really happy to read that you enjoyed your cruise. A person from our TA's office was on a recent Navigator cruise and also said that it was outstanding and that the ship was not as worn as expected. The Navigator should look amazing after refurbishment!

Thanks so much for posting about your cruise:)

During the cruise I just assumed he was a new butler or lacking in social skills. I did make a comment on the feedback form about what was the purpose of a butler, but I had already posted it by the time he ignored us upon departure. (He couldn't have known what I'd written as it was only an hour earlier that I'd posted it ).

Only during a three hour wait at the airport did we discuss the matter and wonder if he were homophobic. I think we were just trying to figure out why he behaved like he did.

I would like to stress that that is purely an assumption. Nothing was said or done to make us feel he was homophobic.

All other crew were amazing and couldn't have been any friendlier.

We look forward to returning to the Navigator or another ship in he near future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD