Best way to spend 5 days pre cruise in Australia???

kandd

It's a good 30 mins down hill walk to Echo Point from Katoomba Railway Station. Echo Point has the lookout on all the Blue Mountains posters which shows the Three Sisters rock formation. From there you can do many different walks. Depending on your fitness level I would recommend the Giant Staircase, across the valley floor and back up via the Scenic Railway. It used to be the steepest something railway in the world or southern hemisphere I can't remember. From there you can do a return journey on the Sky Rail. After that you need to find your way back to Katoomba Railway Station.

It's a wonderful experience but you do need the whole day so start out early. If you don't think you're up to doing it on your own just book a day tour at your hotel front desk. It would certainly take the pain out of potentially having to walk the whole way back up hill to Katoomba Railway Station at the end of a long day :)

FYI. There is now a dedicated public bus that runs very frequently between the Katoomba station, Echo Point (3 sisters) and Scenic World. No need to walk:)

Add to this the trolley bus and the hop on hop off.

Scenic world has 3 attractions. The steepest train at 52deg and a cable car that takes you part way down into the valley where there are several interconnecting boardwalks. There is also a cable car that goes across the valley and takes you halfway to the 3 Sisters lookout at Echo Point.

And as mentioned there are many walks to do for the fit.

Edited by cassamanda

• 3 weeks later...

When you are staying in The Rocks think about the "Communist Scum" that saved it.

It is now one of the most capitalist parts of Sydney but the area was to be demolished to allow the construction of yet more concrete and glass towers. Back in the 70's one of the more radical unions placed Green Bans on the area to stop the demolition. They were concerned that we were losing our heritage. They won and The Rocks was preserved.

When you are staying in The Rocks think about the "Communist Scum" that saved it.

It is now one of the most capitalist parts of Sydney but the area was to be demolished to allow the construction of yet more concrete and glass towers. Back in the 70's one of the more radical unions placed Green Bans on the area to stop the demolition. They were concerned that we were losing our heritage. They won and The Rocks was preserved.

To think we almost lost all those wonderful heritage buildings. I remember them finding coins and all sorts of things from the early colony buried under a building that was demolished near that big cutting. I reckon it's us Aussies who need a reminder that Unions can be very good for the community at large.

Edited by wishfulone

We nearly lost the QVB in the same era - what a shame that would have been!

Sadly, some things are going that way now, too. The Powerhouse museum is set to be sold and demolished unless there are a fair few voices against it (and possibly even if there are).

We nearly lost the QVB in the same era - what a shame that would have been!

Sadly, some things are going that way now, too. The Powerhouse museum is set to be sold and demolished unless there are a fair few voices against it (and possibly even if there are).

We don't live in Sydney these days and hadn't heard about the Powerhouse sale. It was so great when they gave it new life in the early 80's I think. There'll be a lot of Sydney kids, particularly the nerdy ones, who'll miss it for generations.

We don't live in Sydney these days and hadn't heard about the Powerhouse sale. It was so great when they gave it new life in the early 80's I think. There'll be a lot of Sydney kids, particularly the nerdy ones, who'll miss it for generations.

As I understand it they want to move it to Parramatta.

• 1 month later...
I'm an ex-pat American now living at the far end of the blue mountains.

I agree, most don't understand the sheer vastness of the country! Sydney is an awesome city, one of the very few in the world I really love. Spend a day exploring the Rocks, there is a lot of early history to discover. Take the Manly ferry across the harbour and enjoy the beach. Visit the museums and parks in the city centre. Take a rivercat up the parramatta river. Hop on any random ferry and see the harbour from the water. Go glamping on cockatoo island. See a show at the opera house, Capitol theatre, or packer theatre. There are so many things to keep you busy, a long trip elsewhere could be pretty exhausting and you'd miss a lot of a lovely city.

Do take a round trip to the mountains on the train - it's a lovely trip, especially if you go further than Katoomba and see the amazing views along medlow bath, bell, etc. It's three hours each way to Lithgow and back (end of the line, and the best views are in the last 45 minutes), but you could stop at Blackheath or somewhere along the way if you wanted to, or several stops for that matter. I'd personally avoid katoomba, too touristy and it's not close to much in the way of the natural beauty of the area. Wentworth Falls or Blackheath are nicer nature spots and cute towns with great bakeries. Leura is nicer for cafes and cute shops. Medlow bath station is directly across from the Hydro Majestic which has some of the most glorious views in the mountains.

Take a couple of day trips, the central coast is lovely and also accessible by train. South coast is stunning. Also accessible by train. Gorgeous views on most trains once you're out of the city.

Trains here are usually much more reliable and regular than anything you're used to in the US (unless you're in one of the rare cities with a public transportation system that actually works), and once you've scanned a travel card a certain number of times (10?) in the course of a week the rest of your travel is free. The same card works on city buses, ferries, trains etc so it's quite easy.

We will be in Sydney for five days Dec 2-7, 2016 and enjoyed your post.

What is the name of the travel card, where can I get it and how much is it?

Looking forward to so Sydney.