Galveston/Hobby- Anything to do?

andream0902

My flight times leave me with tons of time before and after the cruise out of Galveston. I am taking the Carnival shuttle to/from the airport. Is there anything to do near the airport or cruise if you arrive early? Any idea what the airport policy is for checking bags (how long before flight) and for leaving airport once bags are checked? If the airport is near the city we would go there, but we need a place to leave our bags. We have up to 12 hours between cruise and flight home. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello- I live in the Houston area (in The Woodlands) and it's really challenging to get around anywhere without a car. Space Center Houston is about equidistant between Hobby and Galveston and it's a really cool experience (Mission Control!). You could easily do Uber there and back from either the airport or Galveston. In Galveston I'd recommend walking around The Strand or Moody Gardens.

Hobby is not far from downtown Houston but again, without a car it's not that walkable. I love Houston, but it's not a very tourist-friendly city. If you are interested in art we have an amazing Museum District. You could take an Uber there and easily walk from the art museum over to the museum of natural science, stroll around the Japanese gardens and the sculpture garden, and have lunch at the hotel restaurant that's right at the art museum (I've forgotten the name of that hotel but it's very nice.)

I assume you are flying Southwest? They allow checking your bags up to four hours before the flight only. I don't have any other ideas for what to do with your bags in the meantime. I don't think Hobby has luggage lockers anymore.

I hope that helps! And I hope someone can offer a suggestion for your luggage. Enjoy your trip!!

My flight times leave me with tons of time before and after the cruise out of Galveston. I am taking the Carnival shuttle to/from the airport. Is there anything to do near the airport or cruise if you arrive early? Any idea what the airport policy is for checking bags (how long before flight) and for leaving airport once bags are checked? If the airport is near the city we would go there, but we need a place to leave our bags. We have up to 12 hours between cruise and flight home. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have you checked on doing a Carnival excursion on debarkation day?

Welcome to CC

there is plenty to do in Galveston, near the port, but nothing to do around the airport within walking distance

All airlines/airports have a maximum of 4 hrs for checking bags

BTW what time are your flights

Did you book air thru CCL

Edited by jonbgd

OP can you do that baggage check with Carnival? I'm not sure how it works but I think it's like $20 and they send your baggage on for you to the airlines. Maybe someone else has more details. When we stayed in Galveston we found Pleasure Pier to be fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OP can you do that baggage check with Carnival? I'm not sure how it works but I think it's like $20 and they send your baggage on for you to the airlines. Maybe someone else has more details. When we stayed in Galveston we found Pleasure Pier to be fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I agree. Carnival has some sort of program where when you leave your luggage out the night before you disembark, you pay a certain fee and they will send your luggage to the airport. I'm not sure of the details, but you might want to give Carnival a call about it to check out the details.

cheers

Len

We are running into the same problem; late flight and what to do with ourselves and bags. Ours is Hobby on Royal in October. We may rent a car in Galveston, use it on the island for the day and either one way return the rental to Hobby ($180) or return on Galveston ($45) and arrange separate transport to Hobby. Royal does not do luggage service from Galveston either.