Pride "Liqour Pick-Up Policy" Stinks!

traveling1969

FWIW, I heard somewhere that at least part of the reason for this change was too many complaints about missed deliveries due to

1. Carnival error

2. Unscrupulous passengers helping themselves to purchases left outside cabin doors

3. Dishonest passengers claiming they didn't receive purchases (when they did)

FWIW, I heard somewhere that at least part of the reason for this change was too many complaints about missed deliveries due to

1. Carnival error

2. Unscrupulous passengers helping themselves to purchases left outside cabin doors

3. Dishonest passengers claiming they didn't receive purchases (when they did)

When did they leave it outside cabin doors? Ours was always left inside our cabin.

Just returned from a back-to-back on the Pride. Ran into the WORST policy regarding liquor purchased on board and in ports. I don't know if this is a new fleet-wide policy or unique to the Pride but in my opinion it is the most inconvenient, cumbersome and ill-advised method for distributing held liquor I have ever encountered.

Here is what occurred. When purchasing liquor on board or when we had liquor that we had purchased off-ship held at the gangway, we were informed that we could pick up our held liquor on the morning of disembarkation between 6:30 and 8:00 am in the Butterflies lounge forward. I couldn't believe it! How were we to pack it securely and re-weigh our checked luggage prior to arrival at the airport? We were FORCED to either do self-embarkation (so we could pack and weigh on board) or try to do it in the arrival lounge or at the airport. What a nightmare and what a crappy note upon which to end our cruise.

We had 3 large bags and a medium carry-on and we knew walk-off would be difficult but we wanted to make sure that the liquor was packed securely so we decided to try the walk-off. The thought of trying to re-pack and re-weigh our bags in the terminal or at the airport was a definite no-go.

We arrived at the pick-up lounge at 6:25 am and the line was HUGE! Once they opened, the line moved at less than a snails pace. The pick-up lounge was obviously understaffed and the scene was chaotic with lots of angry exchanges and comments from those in the endless line. From the time we arrived until we received our liquor, well over an hour had passed. Others were complaining openly about this mess and we ran into another couple who were returning to the lounge as they had been given the wrong items. Since we knew we had to be out of our stateroom by 9:30 am we hurried back to repack. By the time we were finished, we were being hounded to get out of our cabin. So much for a leisurely breakfast and an easy stroll off the ship,

Of course it was another marathon wait trying to get an elevator but we finally got to deck 2 to walk off. Despite my crappy knees and DW's less than elastic back, we made it.

I'll never understand the rationale behind this absurd procedure. I much prefer the method employed by Royal Caribbean and Princess: liquor is delivered to your stateroom the afternoon or early evening on the day before disembarkation day and it works quite well. Plenty of time to pack and weigh and still put luggage out for pick-up. I seem to remember this as the procedure on previous Carnival cruises. Does anyone know if this is a fleet-wide policy/procedure or just an ill-advised improvisation on the Pride?

Is this a deal breaker? Pretty darn close. It changed the end of our cruise from a relatively stress-free waltz into a frenzied last-minute jittterbug. Since we were pressed for time, we couldn't go to guest services to make a formal complaint but I included a lengthy critique of the entire debacle in my survey. I will be sure to forward a copy of this post to Carnival in the hope that something can be done so others won't have to put up with this ill-conceived and ill-advised policy.

Absolutely it's a deal breaker! Will not purchase take home liquor because that experience would be too much of a hassle. As you stated, we like to have a leisurely breakfast before debarking.

Carnival is afraid people will get drunk on their purchased booze on the last night. Ridiculous! I'd love to see the numbers of alcohol sales from before they started this to what is being purchased now. I know we'll never again purchase any alcohol if we have to pick it up the last morning.

No, Carnival is afraid that people would be in their cabins drinking their take home liquor instead of buying drinks at the bars, etc.

I believe we were on the same B2B with you. I went down to the Butterfly Lounge because my DH uses a walker and it was just too far. We knew about the policy ahead of time, but he purchased 2 bottles from ship's store and one bottle at a port. It's always enjoyable to find something as a gift that people may have never seen before. When I returned to the cabin, I told him "NEVER, NEVER buy liquor again." That was not worth the hassle. We were driving to port, so my sympathies were definitely with people that had to worry about getting the bottles into checked luggage at the airport. Traveling is hard enough without extra stress being added to the mix.

Will we cruise Carnival again? - Yes

Will we buy liquor again? - NEVER, NEVER EVER AGAIN :eek:

I never buy liquor if we are flying. Personally the couple bucks saved isn't wor the hassle of getting it, packing it, etc. One flight one of 3 bottles ended up being busted, ruined a bunch of clothes and the suitcase. I don't understand why anyone would pack in their luggage anymore for a flight.

We were on the second leg and had one bottle we purchased at a port stop, walked past the table without checking the bottle in. However I had no intention of drinking the bottle on the ship either.

If I buy anymore it will only be if we are driving home.