Food Questions

bride and groom

Hi,

We're taking my husbands parents on a cruise for their 50th wedding anniversary. This is our first time on Celebrity and we are far from experienced cruisers ourselves...only two under our belt so far. Can you all give some advice to us relative newbies?

Questions:

1) My father-in-law has a bad heart and can't walk far or fast, can you give us an idea what the buffet is like? Will anyone be around to assist him?

2) What is better for breakfast and lunch the buffet or the dinning room? Is the dinning room open seating for breakfast and lunch when you are "forced" to dine with others?

3) Strange question but do they have any special stations at the buffet? Like an omlette station for breakfast? Maybe a pasta station for lunch?

4) Is there a heart-healthy diet available? Even if it's vegetarian, that will work!

5.) Can we get a table for 4? We're not anti-social but, this is a special occassion and we're not looking to really "share" it with others.

6.) Any ideas, suggestions, hints, etc. are more than welcome. Like I said, we're still pretty new at this and it is our first time on a more upscale line (both cruises so far have been on Carnival).

OOOPPSS - had to edit, forgot to include this one - Can someone tell me about the sushi bar? where is it? Is it free or is there a charge? What type of sushi - is more common like California Rolls or Tempura Rolls or is it more exotic?

And one more for my Mother-in-Law - what can you tell me about Tea Time? Is it high tea? Where is it served?

We're booking the Constelllation if that helps.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice!

[This message was edited by bride and groom on 05-28-04 at 04:33 PM.]

The answers to most of your questions is year. Have your TA call Celebrity and request the table for 4 and let them know about a heart healthy chioce for your father in law. What is nice about Celebrity on the Horizon ct(or what ever the buffet is called) the waiters will take your tray from you an assist you to a table. There are omlet stations for breakfast and pasta stations for lunch in the buffet. On the open seatings in the dining room for breakfast and lunch just them you want a table for 4, they will accomadate you. We had a woman at our table that was diebetic(sic) and they made every effort to make her special deserts etc. Go and have a Great time congradulations on your wedding

norm

I was on the Constellation in April.
1. There is plenty of room at the buffet and always wait staff waiting to help everyone with their trays and to find a table.
2. Buffet vs formal dining room is a matter of choice. I tried both depending on my mood of the day. Yes, you are seated with others at the formal dining room.
3. They do have several special stations at the buffet. At breakfast there was a waffle and pancake station and they also cook eggs to order. At lunch there was a special sandwich and salad station at the back that changed daily. We didn't know about this station until the third day so take a walk around the buffet!
4. There are heart healthy options. I am a diabetic and it was fairly easy to select healthy foods.
5. You can request a table for 4 although you're never guaranteed what you ask for. If you don't get it, check with the desk the first day.
6. The sushi bar is at the buffet and opened at 6. i don't do sushi but my husband does and said it was excellent. There is no charge and it is fairly exotic according to my husband.
7. I didn't go to a "high tea" although I went to tea in the afternoon at the buffet. I don't know if you are talking about something different. There were wonderful pastries and finger sandwiches, it started at 3, and it is also free.
You will just love the Constellation. It was my favorite ship yet. Hope this helps you.

Hi..what a wonderful gift you are giving[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Buffet...the wait staff is always there...wanting to carry your tray. And they have vegetarian choices in the dining room as well as the buffet.
Ask your TA about your table. When you board the ship you can then go see the Maitr'd to confirm your 4 top.
Breakfast and lunch are always open seating in the dining room. If you prefer to not sit with others at those meals, before the waiter takes you into the dining room just tell him.."We prefer to sit by ourselves". Otherwise, they do try and sit people together.
The buffet area is different....you can sit wherever you want.

I went to the "Elegant Tea" once...it was held in the dining room. Cannot recall which day..but they do request no shorts. I wore a pair of black slacks and a nice top. It was wonderful. They had all kinds of finger sandwiches then petite fours....and then a BIG Dessert Cart. The waiters are dressed in tuxes...with white gloves. I am glad I attended.

They do have other foods in the buffet area in the afternoons...with tea, coffee, etc. but the "Elegant Tea" is only held once. Oh, it is held at 4:00 as in "English Tea Time".

I have never sailed on the Connie...but I do love Celebrity and I hope the 4 of you have a wonderful time[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising"]http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising[/url]

Another option for healthy eating is the cuisine by the T-Pool. When we were on the Millennium, I saw,at lunch, light cuisine.

Congrats to your hubby's folks on their 50th! Have fun on your cruise!

Anita

And now Infinity 2005!
Millennium 2003
Century 2002
Summit 2001
Century 2000
Zenith 1996
Horizon 1994
Horizon 1993
Sunward 1992
Star Princess 1990
Maxim Gorky 1974 & 1975

Hi,

Regarding your introduction, I believe it is very difficult to not like Celebrity. In my opinion, they seem to do everything right – even the little things.

1 – My Dad has Congestive Heart Failure (he had Rheumatic fever in High School and was attacked by a virus in New Zealand a couple of years ago) and cannot have any salt. Princess and Celebrity are able to accommodate him with the regular menu – they just cook to order. (RCI also did last Thanksgiving by giving him the light fare. I witnessed it – second family reunion on a cruise ship).

Regarding the buffet – I have been on three Celebrity ships (Mercury, Infinity, Summit) and I can say that the buffet always had personnel staffed (in white gloves) to seat the able bodied. They also had persons on board tenders, etc. to make sure wheel chaired persons were able to get ashore. For example, on the Mercury, we tendered in Aruba and there was a wheel-chaired man that weighed at least 400 lbs; Celebrity staff (4) lifted him. While on the Summit, I noticed that they had “lifters” to get persons into the main hottub. I know the difficulty isn’t inaccessibility – but I am commenting on it because I was in a severer skiing accident as a teenager (tore ligaments from knee to ankle) and have had two or three occasions since then when I couldn’t walk for 1-2 weeks at a time.

Similarly, on Princess last Summer and RCI last Fall, we saw announcements that services were limited to assist persons in tender areas. I don’t know if it was because they didn’t exist or because they wanted to plan ahead. I know that on Celebrity, they just plan for it period.

Sorry for rambling on, I only wrote this to assist to say YES – Celebrity will take care of him. The buffet is great and he will be brought to his ocean view seat. Not only that, the assistant will ask him what he would like to eat. If he is picky – one of you should get his food.

2 – It depends upon your mood. Personally, I don’t like to spend a lot of time for lunch or breakfast so I grab something at the buffet or the spa. The pasta station (#3 question) followed by the ice cream station was my favorite pick during our 14-night Panama cruise on the Merc. However, on the Summit 11-night Hawaii cruise, I found the Salad bar fantastic (not so much the pasta station) so I went with that. On the Infinity, I found there were all pretty good. It is your vacation – just see what you like.

Regarding eating with others, you won’t have to deal with this at all. Dinner – make sure your TA or Celebrity knows (whomever you booked with) that you want a table for four. If you cannot call directly, then check in with the Matire’d when you board. He/she can reassign your table ($10 or $20 is appropriate or so? I haven’t had to do this for awhile).

3 – Yes, they have omelet stations and pasta stations. However, the stations are not “made to order” you pretty much get what they offer. However, you get to pick the pastas, sauces, etc. But it isn’t like you can say I want “Large Shells with non-mushroom, non-onion Red Sauce with lot of Black Olives, Parmesan, Shrimp, Ono and Capers; and please use lemon in lieu or oil (my standard order at home)”.

4 – Celebrity has heart healthy and vegetarian fare. I have sampled both on Princess and RCI and neither come close. Celebrity will also accommodate (cook to order – but make sure they know before you cruise so that they can take your order early so you don’t have to wait, otherwise you will wait an extra 20-40 minutes.)

5 – Of course you can! I think every cruise is a special occasion. Just ask Celebrity or ask you r TA to ask Celebrity to ask for a separate table. I know people think it is antisocial, but I often ask for a table for 2 for my husband and me – just because we work so many hours and so opposite of schedules (he is a Sales Manager at a car dealership and I am an Engineer) that we seldom see each other. I have to say that Celebrity has always accommodated our wishes. They also accommodated us when we had a group of 12.

Oppps – Sushi bar. I can’t stand it personally and I am a 31 yr old Californian. However, most ships have one on a charge basis. However, the “lite bites” like California rolls and Philadelphia roles are usually served in the main areas around midnight (or as appetizers during the ship sponsored gala events).

Tea Time – let that be her surprise. They do it every day 

Connie – Oh that is the next ship I have booked also. I can’t wait!

- Heather
-

OK, from my Feb Summit cruise (sister to Connie), here are a few ideas!

1. Request a table for 4, once you board go directly to the area set up for the M'D & check your table & make different arrangements at that time if it is not toyour liking!

2. The Spa Cafe in the T-pool area offers light, healthy & IMO, the BEST food for breakfast & lunch! It opens at 7AM until I think 8PM!

3. The stations in the buffet areas are different every day. There is almost always pizza in the afternoon, there is a salad & sandwich bar aft--they have several selections differing daily to choose from. The pasta bar is daily & again, just a few selections to choose from, but they DO cook it to order when you pick your choices.

4. There is also always the hamburger & pizza grill out by the pool

5. The Main dining room will seat you at a table by yourselves during open seating if it is not terribly crowded & understaffed for that particulair meal--just ask! Celeb goes out of their way to accomodate ANY request.

6. They also have wheelchairs available to use if your parents should need some assistance with the walking.

Just remember, no request is a bad one, just ask for it!!! Have a GREAT cruise!

Rosie
E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 19, 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

Clarification on the omelet station. They do make omelets to order - however the extra ingredients are limited to the omelet of the day (example: ham, onion, mushrooms, etc). You can have the omelet made from eggs, egg beaters or egg whites. You can also have any omelet served in the dining room and room service made with egg beaters or egg whites.
For room service, just write on the card egg white or egg beaters.
The sushi bar had a limited number of standard sushi choices - not exotic ones. I have heard several sushi lovers describe it as bland. I did enjoy it as it gave me a chance to try sushi without wasting my money if I didn't like it.
One thing we would do is order a plate of fruits and cheese from room service to tide us over until late seating. Sort of nice to nibble while getting dressed leisurely.
Since you are going on a millenium class ship, you might want to check out the specialty restaurant - food is rich - but if your father-in-law can handle one night, it would be a perfect way to celebrate their 50th. The charge for the restaurant is $30 per person but it is well worth it. The food and service matches any top of the line five star restaurant. The goat cheese souffle and the Chocolate souffle are to die for! You can check to see if they would be able to accommodate your FIL before making reservations.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92
Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93
Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95
Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99
Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01
Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02
Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03
Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

Hi [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My husband has heart problems, CHF being one of them, and Celebrity is wonderful about special diets.

After you board go to see the Matre'D to check on your table and make sure they have on their records that he will need a special diet--since it's CHF that will mean no added salt. This should have been noted when the booking was made, but if it wasn't have your TA make this request.

On the first night in the dining room the waiter will assist him in making choices for that evening. The Asst. Matre'D will come by the table and introduce himself. Then every night he will bring the menu for the next night for your father-in-law to choose from. They will prepare his food to order with no added salt, and if he chooses something that can't be prepared without salt, such as escargot, he will tell him.

Breakfast and lunch he's on his own. He'll have to make his choices wisely. Soups are loaded with salt--that's a no no unless it's a cold fruit soup. Salad dressing is loaded with salt...especially the low or no fat ones! Vinegar and olive oil are best. Bread is loaded with salt!

The Light and Lean or whatever it's called, that is on the back page of the dining room menu is a good way to see what the fat and sodium content is. Beware!! It's not always low sodium!! In fact, one of the evening menu choices, which included a course from each ofered, had more sodium than a normal person should have in 1 day. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Celebrity will do everything they can to assist in making this a healthy and enjoyable cruise for you all, so have fun, relax and start planning for the next one [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Char

click <a href="mailto:gaultchar@aol.com">here</a href> to send me an e-mail

[This message was edited by Char on 05-29-04 at 01:18 PM.]

sounds like you've got all the info you'll need! hope you have a great cruise!

Going on CENTURY! Third X Cruise In Four Months!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Archived