Costa NeoRiviera from Istanbul moved to Venice

Costa announced their switching away from Istanbul some weeks ago, at about the same time as NCL.

Certainly the situation is no worse now than it was then - if you're posting because of much more recent information about a switch to Venice, it was probably down to a delay in fixing up Venice as the alternative.

As a general rule American cruise lines & American passengers tend to be much more risk-averse than Europeans, and I'm quite used to seeing US ships switch ports anywhere in the world due to local problems - anything from petty crime & civil demonstrations to riots & terrorism.

So I was surprised that Costa has cancelled Istanbul, whereas many US cruise lines haven't.

Go figure :confused:

JB :)

I must have missed their announcement two weeks ago. I am booked on the NeoRiviera 25th April sailing. The only information that I have received from Costa, was an email with the new itinerary. There was no heading on the e-mail, or explanation. I have not seen any news on Cruise Critic, or the intranet.

I am trying to decide whether to still fly into Istanbul, do a day tour, and then fly to Athens to board the ship. Or, is Istanbul just too unsafe. :confused:

I am trying to decide whether to still fly into Istanbul, do a day tour, and then fly to Athens to board the ship. Or, is Istanbul just too unsafe. :confused:

That makes it a convoluted route, but if your Istanbul flight can't be cancelled I guess it's cheaper than starting over.

And no, Istanbul isn't too dangerous - so if your stop-over is long enough to be worthwhile do take the opportunity to see this amazing city. :cool:

You'll have to allow at least an hour of airport formalities on arrival, 35-45 mins each way (but potentially longer at the wrong time of day) for the drive between city and airport, and check-in an hour or more before your onward flight. So if you have less than about 7 or 8 hours between flight arrival & departure it wouldn't be worthwhile

Also check that your flights use the same Istanbul airport - they're on opposite sides of the city, which could give you a problem with luggage storage.

That makes it a convoluted route, but if your Istanbul flight can't be cancelled I guess it's cheaper than starting over.

And no, Istanbul isn't too dangerous - so if your stop-over is long enough to be worthwhile do take the opportunity to see this amazing city. :cool:

You'll have to allow at least an hour of airport formalities on arrival, 35-45 mins each way (but potentially longer at the wrong time of day) for the drive between city and airport, and check-in an hour or more before your onward flight. So if you have less than about 7 or 8 hours between flight arrival & departure it wouldn't be worthwhile

Also check that your flights use the same Istanbul airport - they're on opposite sides of the city, which could give you a problem with luggage storage.

If you've already booked your flights Costa should be willing to pay your change fee.