Melbourne Hotel

Jane110

I need help in recalling the new name of a hotel in Melbourne.

Years ago it was the Regency, then it became the Sofitel and I believe it has a new name now......but I can't think of what it is.

It's located on Collins Street, not far from the RM Williams store (which is on the other side of the Street).

It has offices on the lower floors and the hotel is on the upper floors.

Can anyone think of the name of it?

I know the Westin is on Collins Street, but I believe at the other end of Collins, right?

Thanks,

Jane

Hi Jane,

Unless it has changed within the past few weeks, I believe it is still the Sofitel at the top end of Collins Street (near Spring Street).

The Westin is located on the corner of Collins Street and Swanston Street.

Hope this helps,

Beth.

Jane,

They're talking about turning the Windsor into apartments:eek: . Enjoy it while you can.

Steve.

No kidding??? When? I hope not! :(

I was deciding between it and the Sofitel for our Feb. visit. Well, that makes the dicision, the Windsor it is! I've stayed there before and love it and have stayed at the Sofitel too and it's also an excellent hotel.

Thanks for letting me know.

Jane

There was an uproar when this was mooted earlier in the year. I think the developer has lost his nerve - too much grass roots opposition. Just what we need in Melbourne - another gutted facade of a Victorian building (not!).

Anyway, the more visitors that stay there, the less likely it is to be sold.

BTW, I don't believe any of this has affected the quality of service in any way.

Steve.

Cands,

I hope you're right.

If memory serves me right, the Windsor is the oldest hotel in Australia. It would make me sad to see it turned into Condo's.

I've booked my room for February!

Thanks,

Jane

Jane,

The Windsor has such a wonderful history. It was originally built as a coffee palace by my son's friend, Robert Webb's great grandfather Charles Webb, who also built a lot of old Melbourne including Melbourne Grammar, Wesley College, Melbourne Town Hall, South Melbourne Town Hall, St. Paul's Catherdral, Royal Arcade etc. It was built in 1884 and did not have a license to sell alcohol. It is the last of the grand style of hotels left in Australia. We used to have a dozen of them here in Melbourne before they were all bulldozed in the late 50's early 60's.

I doubt if it will be made into apartments as it has a National Trust listing and it is always hard to change anything once that is on a building.

Archived