NCL STAR in Baltics-Shuttles?

cleobella

There is no need for a shuttle into the old town at Tallinn. It is just across the road. I'm not sure what transport (outside of excursions) they may offer for other areas.

As for Helsinki, when I went previously there was a shuttle bus that we used, but that was a few years ago. I believe that it still runs, but hopefully someone else can confirm.

I also understand that public transport is an option from near the port. I haven't done any detailed planning in Helsinki yet though, so my reply is as much to subscribe to this thread and hear the experiences of others who have travelled more recently,

I don't believe there are shuttles in either port. In Tallinn and Helsinki, I walked into town from the port. In Helsinki I took public transportation around town and then in Tallinn, I think we took a cab back to the ship from in town. You might want to check out the Northern Europe & Baltics forum as there is tons of information available about these towns and some locals that actually are active on the forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Carrie

How far roughly is to to central Helsinki if you walk?

From memory, a few people walked last time we were there and I don't think it was too far.

We have no problem with walking a few miles.

I honestly don't remember. I think it took about 30 minutes, but that was at a somewhat leisurely pace. I just followed some ship workers who were leaving the port on foot. I had the hardest time figuring out where I was because I couldn't seem to figure out were I was on the map. Once I figured that part out, it was much easier to navigate the city! :rolleyes:

Once I found Market Square, I was good to go. I'm sure there is public transportation nearby and definitely cabs that will take you into the city. I left the ship a little later than most. There will also be hoho buses from at least one company that will take you around the city. There is some good guidance on a thread in the Baltics sub-forum. Hope this helps!

I had a wonderful time on my Baltics cruise and every city was easy to navigate and get around. No problems with language. As long as you stay in the city, most speak English.

Carrie

How far roughly is to to central Helsinki if you walk?

From memory, a few people walked last time we were there and I don't think it was too far.

We have no problem with walking a few miles.

I also walked to town in Helsinki along the waterfront. About 20-30 min. Walked all over the place even to the church in the rock. Beautiful city. Picked up a map somewhere and took a different route back to the port, stopped for a coffee in a cute place. There is a city bus outside the port area if you want a ride to town.

Thanks for the replies. I think we may walk it.

We have walked round the city centre before, and found it was quite easy to get round on foot. The Rock Church it the Market Square was a very easy walk. I've just always found it difficult to work out exactly where the ship docks.

I've really got to have another look at Helsinki. I've been neglecting it in my planning.