Class is back

skandls

op didn't seem to have any problem with areas of the ship being exclusively allocated to various loyalty levels. In fact, op is upset because he perceives that c&a benefits are being eroded in favor of enhanced suites benefits. Just my opinion but being "diamond" is just as much a statement of a class oriented environment on a cruise ship as suites perks.

For all the posters who think suites perks are a form of class distinction, i ask the question: How do you justify a c&a perk like welcome back parties, priority embarkation/disembarkation, special lounges, exclusive cocktail parties, etc?

No, op was not condemning a society based upon class. If he was, then he would have condemned all class distinctions on a cruise ship including the c&a perks.

exactly!

I find C&A members' resentment of being "kicked out" of the CL, and the fact that such resentment is often directed toward Suite guests, interesting, since the CL was originally and always a Suite perk that was at some point extended to include C&A members. Too many C&A members in the CL, monopolizing the Concierge and crowding out the Suite guests while, in some cases, actually looking down their noses at them as if they (the C&A) had more 'right' to the CL than the Suite guests for whom the CL was originally intended, and then having the nerve to hold it against the Suite guests when they get uninvited from the Suite guests' lounge.:rolleyes:

This whole C&A vs. Suites thing seems petty, irrational, and quite ridiculous to me. But then, I'm fairly new to Royal, so maybe I just don't get it.:cool::rolleyes:

Too many C&A members in the CL, monopolizing the Concierge and crowding out the Suite guests while, in some cases, actually looking down their noses at them as if they (the C&A) had more 'right' to the CL than the Suite guests for whom the CL was originally intended,

I've seen several high loyalty status posters claim that they do have more rights to perks than do suites because they have "earned" their perks while suites guests are just "buying" theirs.

I've seen several high loyalty status posters claim that they do have more rights to perks than do suites because they have "earned" their perks while suites guests are just "buying" theirs.

That's yet another amusing point in this whole silly situation. So:

Spending $$$$ or, in some cases, just $$ over several years = earned.

but

Spending $$$$ all at once = bought (which is somehow less than earned:rolleyes:).

Hmmmm... which one do you think RCI (or any corporation with any sense) would be most interested in attracting and keeping?;)

That's yet another amusing point in this whole silly situation. So:

Spending $$$$ or, in some cases, just $$ over several years = earned.

but

Spending $$$$ all at once = bought (which is somehow less than earned:rolleyes:).

Hmmmm... which one do you think RCI (or any corporation with any sense) would be most interested in attracting and keeping?;)

The more cruises you have taken, the closer you are to not taking any cruises. The first time cruiser in a suite has much more profit potential.

People are confused. Cruise lines don't give you benefits as a reward but as an incentive for future business. You haven't 'earned' anything.

People are confused. Cruise lines don't give you benefits as a reward but as an incentive for future business. You haven't 'earned' anything.

That's how all loyalty programs work. Yes, you should benefit. However, the reward isn't to say thank you, it is to help facilitate additional future business. It's just a marketing tool.

DH and I are both introverts and I do understand your point. This I suppose is at the heart of the matter, whether you cruise to meet other people from different backgrounds or not. We do. We describe ourselves as destination cruisers. But the people are part of the destination. Our last cruise was a back to back from Southampton and one of the more interesting discussion points at dinner concerned the Royal family. As Canadians we have the Queen but it would be fair to say she's not as big a part of our world view as if we were British. Cruising out of Southampton first dinner table was all for deposing the rights of the Prince of Wales. First thing we were asked as we sat down was whether we were 'right thinking' on this matter! Second cruise were all from Cornwall, adored the Duchess of Cornwall and were serious Prince Charles supporters. So interesting to hear the difference.

As introverts, we also need that cabin time to recover from extensive bouts of chit chat but I have been dining out on those discussions ever since. Both tables had very mixed economic classes. One fellow who described himself as a 'carpet fitter' next to a lady from Beverly Hills with diamonds so big they could only be described as "rocks" (and pretty sparkly ones too). We found that really really interesting. If the ships move more and more to association spaces by socioeconomic lines, I would miss that opportunity. But it does add conversational challenges, stress and, sometimes difficult social moments as someone firmly puts foot in mouth through lack of social understanding.

So you make a good point about what folks hope to get from the cruise. Not having to engage is as important as engagement. Having the choice as to which you want is important too. I suppose there is some sense by many that the opportunity to meet a broad spectrum of people is being limited as the ships reconfigure.

Interesting! We usually cruise with our children - so even if we ask to be put at a bigger table....we aren't :rolleyes: By the time of our next cruise they will be 17 and 18 - so we will see. I would love it, but am guessing it won't happen until they are over 21. The fact that we are travelling as a family of 4 has probably made more difference in our experience than anything else.

Interesting! We usually cruise with our children - so even if we ask to be put at a bigger table....we aren't :rolleyes: By the time of our next cruise they will be 17 and 18 - so we will see. I would love it, but am guessing it won't happen until they are over 21. The fact that we are travelling as a family of 4 has probably made more difference in our experience than anything else.

We cruised with our two when they were 15 and 19 and arranged for them to be at first sitting dinner while we did second (they were in a separate cabin which I expect helped the table process). It worked wonderfully and was a great learning experience for them. They had to learn make polite social conversation with strangers. We had a 'just us time'. While we were together for the excursions we had to ask to see them once daily as they were so busy with ship activities.

My favourite moment was when the younger informed me I had to wear a hat to the excursion to Tulum because it would be very hot and I needed to protect my head. He knew this was so because Mr such and such whom they sat at dinner with had said so. I had to work to keep a straight face. Now, if I had said that to him, well.....:)