Cruising with child without his dad?

bitsnscraps

I have heard that to cruise with your child without both birth parents the other parent needs to give written permission and have it notarized. My son will be 17 at the time of our cruise and we haven't had any contact with his birth dad in over a year, he lives in a different state and he hasn't been present much at all in the last 5+. Getting written permission from him is probably not going to happen purely out of spite on his part. Would our divorce papers showing I have custody work? Has anyone actually been asked to provide this?

No such letter will be needed.

There are probably people that are going to jump on here and try to scare you.

You will not need the letter with carnival. Just make sure you have a gov issued picture id for him and his official birth cert or his passport. NOTHING else will be needed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I was 'pulled over' as a solo parent with my minor child on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess and NCL. Here's what Carnival's site says:

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents (or legal guardians) are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) (or legal guardians) authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

That being said, if you have sole custody with no visitation by the other parent, its a different story.

Not saying you're going to have a problem: Just sharing my experiences, and the last time was in 2014 trying to board with DD, age 17. Hubby/her father was not with us, and I wanted to see what they would do. Sure enough, I was asked to provide notarized documentation by her other parent that I had permission to take her out of the country on a cruise. Royal Caribbean and NCL would not let us board without a notarized letter. I did not offer the letter but had one ready if they asked for it.

I escaped an abusive relationship 3 years ago and have had no contact with my ex since then. When I applied for my daughters passport I included a letter explaining the situation and all was fine. For our upcoming cruise I have emailed US Border Control and they say it is very common and won't be a problem. If the UK are happy to let her out, and the US happy to let her in without a letter from an absent ex, I'm not even going to slightly worry about Carnival. Some father's are not present, for whatever reason. That's life.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I was 'pulled over' as a solo parent with my minor child on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess and NCL. Here's what Carnival's site says:

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents (or legal guardians) are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) (or legal guardians) authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

That being said, if you have sole custody with no visitation by the other parent, its a different story.

Not saying you're going to have a problem: Just sharing my experiences, and the last time was in 2014 trying to board with DD, age 17. Hubby/her father was not with us, and I wanted to see what they would do. Sure enough, I was asked to provide notarized documentation by her other parent that I had permission to take her out of the country on a cruise. Royal Caribbean and NCL would not let us board without a notarized letter. I did not offer the letter but had one ready if they asked for it.

Told ya. I sort of find it strange this woman was asked for this not required letter not by one or two cruise lines, but FOUR cruise lines. Some cruise lines may have this as a requirement. Since carnival started anytime dinning, I don't go on the other lines so I do not keep up with what they require, but I do know, for carnival, such a letter is not a requirement.

I am so tired of these people coming on here trying to scare people in the ops situation that they may not get on the ship.

Told ya. I sort of find it strange this woman was asked for this not required letter not by one or two cruise lines, but FOUR cruise lines. Some cruise lines may have this as a requirement. Since carnival started anytime dinning, I don't go on the other lines so I do not keep up with what they require, but I do know, for carnival, such a letter is not a requirement.

I am so tired of these people coming on here trying to scare people in the ops situation that they may not get on the ship.

Yep, there are always some who "claim" they are "always" required to show documentation.

My wife & I (both seniors) take our grandson (he is 9 now) on a summer trip every year (almost always without his Mom who has sole custody of him). We have done this since he was about 3 years old. So here are 2 older folks with a young child - he is obviously not our son. Even though we always bring a notarized note from his Mom (and a notarized medical care permission slip) we have never been asked or challenged in any way ! Flying around the country, flying to the Caribbean, crossing borders US to Canada, etc

The only thing we were ever requested to do was roll the windows of the car down once when crossing from the US into Canada - and this is often done when just husband and wife are in a car.

I call hogwash on some of these posts.

We have brought my step daughter on 10 cruises and the first one her mother called carnival and told them we were kidnapping her! Carnival asked her (7 at the time) who her parents were and if her mom knew she was coming? She told them all the names and that she knew ( we have sole custody by the way even if they asked) she was going and they said enjoy your trip! NEVER even asked to see our court papers ( which we brought). We have exchange students every year and not one has asked for our guardian papers or parents ok to travel! Enjoy your cruise!

I have flown out of the country with a minor child without my wife. Never asked by anyone to provide a letter even though the first time I was told I would need one. I dint know why a cruise would be different.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Same here, had my kids on all cruises but one and never once been asked for a note/letter or otherwise. Even with different last names after going back to my maiden and going to/from Mexico which I hear is the strictest. I wouldnt worry about it.

Edited by Savlamara

Just thought I would chime in my 2 cents. I sailed with both my minor (teenage) children in October with a different last name and all of our passports. Always cautious I carried with me their dad's death certificate and my name change papers. No one asked for anything other than their passports. I think the passport is the key. If you have custody papers you should be able to get the passport without his help. It's a good idea to have anyway with only one parent.

Just thought I would chime in my 2 cents. I sailed with both my minor (teenage) children in October with a different last name and all of our passports. Always cautious I carried with me their dad's death certificate and my name change papers. No one asked for anything other than their passports. I think the passport is the key. If you have custody papers you should be able to get the passport without his help. It's a good idea to have anyway with only one parent.

Passport does not make any difference. The letter is NOT required.

We have never had issues when cruising. But every time we return to Canada we are asked for a signed letter from the absent parent stating the kids are permitted to travel. I always found it odd that we have zero issue getting them out of the country, but returning is a problem...

This is a long discussion without any clear answer. However, from my understanding, and this is not a Carnival thing, that some countries, and in particular, Mexico, a permission letter or proof of sole custody is needed.

So whoever, and what ever tells you something, come prepared, and don't be left stunned.

This is a long discussion without any clear answer. However, from my understanding, and this is not a Carnival thing, that some countries, and in particular, Mexico, a permission letter or proof of sole custody is needed.

So whoever, and what ever tells you something, come prepared, and don't be left stunned.

If Mexico is your final destination they REQUIRE a letter.

On a cruise, you are in transit and do not need such a letter.

Of course, even on this point, there used to be a lady that claimed she wss asked EVERY TIME in cozumel. I asked her every single time she made such a claim who asked for this letter. She never found the time to answer. She finally quit making the lie, er I mean claim.

so you have heard some say they have never been asked for it and some say that they have....

with this type of info, I would think it would be prudent to have it....

(In the OP's case, the full custody papers should be sufficient)

The op does not have full custody. She has physical custody. Totally different, but it doesn't matter in this case because no such letter is needed on carnival.

so you have heard some say they have never been asked for it and some say that they have....

with this type of info, I would think it would be prudent to have it....

So exactly what would you suggest to the op in her situation which she has explained here?

as I stated

She DOES NOT have full custody. She has physical custody which means they reside with her. But it does not mean legally she had full say over the child.

In her case, I am sure in reality she actually does, but if she only has physical custody on her legal paper. That is not FULL custody as in she had full say.

But as I have started several times now, for a cruise on carnival, she will not need any of that.

She DOES NOT have full custody. She has physical custody which means they reside with her. But it does not mean legally she had full say over the child.

In her case, I am sure in reality she actually does, but if she only has physical custody on her legal paper. That is not FULL custody as in she had full say.

But as I have started several times now, for a cruise on carnival, she will not need any of that.

my apologies.. I thought she said she did

if she does not have it written that she has full custody and the father is not in the picture... If she cant get that I guess she spins the dice. there is a very good chance nothing will happen but there is some who have been asked

I have heard that to cruise with your child without both birth parents the other parent needs to give written permission and have it notarized. My son will be 17 at the time of our cruise and we haven't had any contact with his birth dad in over a year, he lives in a different state and he hasn't been present much at all in the last 5+. Getting written permission from him is probably not going to happen purely out of spite on his part. Would our divorce papers showing I have custody work? Has anyone actually been asked to provide this?

I took this to be full custody

edit - I see where she was more specific on a later post

Edited by hftmrock