Western Caribbean - which time of year is better?

Poop_Deck

We have only done the Western Caribbean once, and that was almost 17 years ago. So for those with more recent experience, would you choose to sail this itinerary over Memorial Day week or Labor Day week? Is there even much of a difference weather wise?

i would say start checking the prices and the higher the price is usually the better time to go. If the price is low than it may not be a favorable time of year for that destination...

happy sailing..

-Mark

Interesting thought process! There is a $400 difference in price, with Memorial Day week being the higher.

Memorial Day is higher because the kids are out of school. I would rather take a chance on Labor Day where the kiddo's will be back in School (hopefully). There is also the chance of it being Hurricane Season, but I would rather take that risk.

I don't recall much difference in the weather. We have done Western later in September and Eastern over Memorial Day. Labor Day will definitely be cheaper, most Southern schools have been back in session for a while and I believe most Northern schools start right after Labor Day if they haven't already.

I seem to recall that storms are more likely later in the year, such as September so you may be rerouted or otherwise impacted by a tropical storm or hurricane.

April and May is the best weather and good prices.

Early May, yes. Memorial Day, not so much. A lot of schools get out just before Memorial Day and the rates go up accordingly. It isn't as bad as June or July, but they are up compared to earlier in the month.

Memorial Day is higher because the kids are out of school. I would rather take a chance on Labor Day where the kiddo's will be back in School (hopefully). There is also the chance of it being Hurricane Season, but I would rather take that risk.

We don't get out of school until June up here (New England), so I forget that the southern states are already out in May. My son would be missing school either way, as we also go back in August.

We don't get out of school until June up here (New England), so I forget that the southern states are already out in May. My son would be missing school either way, as we also go back in August.

I have always wondered, how do you do that? Here they make it sound like the world would end if you took your child out of school for a vacation. I realize it will easily vary from district to district, but are there forms for it?

Early May, yes. Memorial Day, not so much. A lot of schools get out just before Memorial Day and the rates go up accordingly. It isn't as bad as June or July, but they are up compared to earlier in the month.

Yes- Memorial Day week is the last reasonably priced week- prices increase by about $300 pp the following week. We are sailing in July this year & hoping to avoid the middle of summer next year!

Unless there is a hurricane present (a real possibility) the weather should be relatively the same. It usually is here in central Florida, but more so to the south.

Prices are lower because the week of September 10th is normally considered the peak of hurricane season. I wouldn't let that stop me if you prefer the cheaper date. I have been to Key West the day after Katrina and diverted to San Juan for supplies while dodging (and ultimately outracing) Wilma. The ships are very valuable and they will do what is necessary to steer as far away as possible.

Yes- Memorial Day week is the last reasonably priced week- prices increase by about $300 pp the following week. We are sailing in July this year & hoping to avoid the middle of summer next year!

This will be our second year cruising on Memorial Day. I don't recall Carnival doing a single thing, I will be interested to see if NCL does anything for Memorial Day.

I was fortunate enough to book shortly after we got back. While we do have to pay the tips for UBP, we got half off for the third passenger. Fares have done nothing but go up since so I feel ecstatic.

I have always wondered, how do you do that? Here they make it sound like the world would end if you took your child out of school for a vacation. I realize it will easily vary from district to district, but are there forms for it?

We have a new state "law" that just counts your absences wether excused or not. It's insane. My son missed 6 days in October for our Getaway cruise and was considered "chronically absent" until December when he finally fell to less than 10% of days missed. This is all because the state gets paid by the number of kids in school each day, so the Governor decided this law would be a great idea.

Meanwhile, my son had perfect attendance the year before & not so much a mention. [emoji53]

The teachers/principal in our school think it's pretty ridiculous too, but their hands are tied.

It also hasn't stopped families from taking their kids out for vacation.

We have a new state "law" that just counts your absences wether excused or not. It's insane. My son missed 6 days in October for our Getaway cruise and was considered "chronically absent" until December when he finally fell to less than 10% of days missed. This is all because the state gets paid by the number of kids in school each day, so the Governor decided this law would be a great idea.

Meanwhile, my son had perfect attendance the year before & not so much a mention. [emoji53]

The teachers/principal in our school think it's pretty ridiculous too, but their hands are tied.

It also hasn't stopped families from taking their kids out for vacation.

Thank you for the clarification. We still have excused and unexcused absences. They hate either one as they are also paid per student per day by the state. They at least tolerate excused and allow the work to be made up. The DA has started going after truancy here, both as a crime issue and also because I'm sure the school board is encouraging it for the funding.

The principal at my son's school makes a big deal out of attendance, which is good. Students have to have good conduct and attendance for field trips, and days tardy count against attendance for that purpose.

Thank you for the clarification. We still have excused and unexcused absences. They hate either one as they are also paid per student per day by the state. They at least tolerate excused and allow the work to be made up. The DA has started going after truancy here, both as a crime issue and also because I'm sure the school board is encouraging it for the funding.

The principal at my son's school makes a big deal out of attendance, which is good. Students have to have good conduct and attendance for field trips, and days tardy count against attendance for that purpose.

Always interesting to get other perspectives, thank you for sharing! Don't get me wrong- school attendance is pushed by the district (and in our home), but the thing that bothers me most about our new law is that it doesn't take conduct &/or previous attendance into account . I'm glad to see that this is still the case in some areas.

Always interesting to get other perspectives, thank you for sharing! Don't get me wrong- school attendance is pushed by the district (and in our home), but the thing that bothers me most about our new law is that it doesn't take conduct &/or previous attendance into account . I'm glad to see that this is still the case in some areas.

And thank you. I envy you. I would love to take our son out for a week vacation during a cheaper month. I fear I would come home to a summons to appear in court for it. Perhaps just as bad, I fear the reaction from his principal. I can only imagine the look I would get. :eek: