A bit of Assistance, Ol' Chum, for Celebrity Cruises

Cooley Consumers

For the experienced Celebrity cruisers, we are contemplating booking the April 2017 cruise from Miami to Southampton. However, we have never been on this cruise line.

I have looked at youtube and the company's specs, and the veranda (balcony) rooms appear to be about 190 sq. ft. (pretty well standard size across the RCI fleet). Beds appear to be the same size and the balcony is the same size (2 chairs and a small table).

The negative comments on the web are unbelievable and harsh! I think some of this could be from folks who are not seasons cruisers, or who are a bit spoiled. One of them was kicked off of the ship for adverse comments about the Hotel Director!

Is there ANY REAL difference between Celebrity and RCC ships? We KNOW that Azamara has premium service (which you pay for). But what about Celebrity? Is there a set time dining? How is the food quality? What does Diamond Plus status get you on Celebrity? (it appears to be Elite status).

Any suggestions or hints about booking a balcony? (a basic veranda/balcony is all that w're interested).

Many thanks, and Happy Cruising!:)

For the experienced Celebrity cruisers, we are contemplating booking the April 2017 cruise from Miami to Southampton. However, we have never been on this cruise line.

I have looked at youtube and the company's specs, and the veranda (balcony) rooms appear to be about 190 sq. ft. (pretty well standard size across the RCI fleet). Beds appear to be the same size and the balcony is the same size (2 chairs and a small table).

The negative comments on the web are unbelievable and harsh! I think some of this could be from folks who are not seasons cruisers, or who are a bit spoiled. One of them was kicked off of the ship for adverse comments about the Hotel Director!

Is there ANY REAL difference between Celebrity and RCC ships? We KNOW that Azamara has premium service (which you pay for). But what about Celebrity? Is there a set time dining? How is the food quality? What does Diamond Plus status get you on Celebrity? (it appears to be Elite status).

Any suggestions or hints about booking a balcony? (a basic veranda/balcony is all that w're interested).

easy one first

If Diamond on RCCL you would be Elite on Celebrity.

Food is subjective and service is also luck of the draw. the larger the ship ie Solstice Class, more pressure on waitstaff. This also depends on whether or not contracts are up and a new crew is on board. they have 2 set dining times and 'anytime" dining. what they are I do not know, b/c we travel acqua class. As a rule Celebrity has less kids but since this is a TA that will not matter. On cruises other than TA's Celebrity has cut down on onboard activities, but a TA should be full of them b/c what else is there to do. Cannot comment on buffets(for personal reasons ) only eat at the sit down restaurants or grills. On a vacation I want to be served not scurry around looking for an open table. Entertainment is also like the food personal taste. Sometimes good sometimes really bad. Like Diamond, you have the nightly cocktail hours and munchies . I would always book a Veranda b/c we like the illusion of a larger room. Must say that we flip flop between X and R(26 cruises) and the differences between them at the Veranda level are becoming less pronounced as these 2 lines are getting in my opinion very simuliar and standardized.

Hope this helps

:cool:

Hi CC,

For the most part, Celebrity is a more premium line compared to RCL.

(what does that mean?):

--the food is better on Celebrity (everywhere).

--the space ratio on the S-class is 42.41 and the M-class is 46.67; the space ratio on the Anthem of the Seas is 34.20, and the Navigator is 35.98, and the Allure is 40.24. The higher the space ratio, the more room per passenger.

--there are more service people per passenger on Celebrity.

Being Diamond Plus will get you an auto upgrade to Elite on Celebrity. You will get nightly cocktail time (free drinks + hors d'oeuvres); some free laundry; some free internet….,

The cabin will be bright and modern and just a bit larger than RCL's. Interactive TV. Bathrooms are larger and better on Celebrity.

Aqua class will move you up to a better dining room and Spa time. Suites will move you up to a better dining room and give you a butler.

You can have fixed dining times or open dining in the MDR.

Not as many families, and off season cruises (like TA's), will have a much older clientele and many repeat Celebrity cruisers. Loads of Elite and Elite Plus.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We first sailed RCCL in 1989, (Diamond) and Celebrity in 1994, (Elite), and enjoy both for what they provide for our mood. Celebrity is our line of first look to book.

Lots of differences between the 2 lines and their ships. The service levels are very close tho. Food goes to Celebrity, entertainment to RCCL.

IMHO, and our on ship experiences, you are looking in the wrong places for reviews to read. Most Celebrity sailings have an 80% positive review rating here on CC.

Our last 2 RCCL sailings were in 2007 on the Mariner, and 2011 on the Freedom, both wonderful cruises. 2012 was on Princess, and 2013,14,& 15 were on Celebrity, and last Nov my wife said it was our best cruise in 25+ years.

Look deeper as I too thinks the negative is from some, 'who are a bit spoiled'

EW

PS: we are on the East side of Dallas County in Mesquite.

Edited by wallie5446

We did the Miami to Southampton crossing on the Eclipse last year and would not hesitate to recommend the ship. The food was the best cruise ship food we have ever had. The cut backs to the entertainment staff were obvious, but I cannot say that we were ever without something to do. The longer length of the transatlantics gives you an opportunity to get to know your fellow passengers a bit better, and can lead to lasting friendships. Celebrity clientele tend to be well travelled and well informed so there are many opportunities to have great conversations. The only downside for us is that Celebrity has chosen to shorten some of the transatlantics and offer two fewer ports than previously. For example, last year's crossing was 16 days and this year's is 13 days. If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer them. We have done seven cruises on Celebrity, three of them have been transatlantics. Hope this helps you to determine if Celebrity is the right choice for you.

We are close to Elite plus on Celebrity and diamond on RCC. AFAIAC BOTH are fine by me. BUT my first choice is Celebrity, particularly Aqua Class. I also like the beds better on Celebrity. I like the specialty restaurants on both lines, but prefer Blu on Celebrity as a MDR substitute. I think Celebrity is a bit more sedate than RCC but both are equally annoying when there is a school vacation.

IMHO either line will give you a great TA experience.

HTH

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE QUICK RESPONSES!!

Bottom line - - EVERYONE enjoyed their Celebrity cruises! We've decided to book the TA in April next year while we are tooling around the Caribbean in April on Liberty OTS.

Again, many many thanks.

It is nice having a Freedom Class ship in Galveston. We loved being able to jump on the Rhaspody when it was here, way back when!:D

You will enjoy Celebrity.

EW

If someone has already posted this, I apologize. One little difference is that the RCL Diamond breakfast has specialty coffees,and the Celebrity Elite breakfast has specialty coffees and the options of Bloody Mary's, Mimosas and bellinis. :D