Cruise and stay transfers

GinoG

Just wanted to highlight an issue regarding transfers on our recent Cruise and Stay holiday:

Just returned from Tenerife following a very enjoyable cruise followed by a week at the Riu Arecas.

As the hotel is part of Thomson's Al la carte programme guests should get taxi transfers but according to the rep Cruise and Stay guests do not.

We checked the hotel information book for our departure information a couple of days before we were due to fly home and our flight was not listed. The rep told us this was because we were Cruise and Stay guests and that she did not have our details yet. We spoke to the rep the following day (day before departure) and she still did not have them. We eventually received a card under our door the night before we were due to fly home saying that we would be picked up by a coach at 1.30pm for a 4pm flight.

We waited for the coach from 1pm but by 1.55 no coach had arrived and I was getting anxious that we would miss our flight. I tried to ring the contact number in the folder but could not get a response. I had no other option than to get myself a taxi to the airport at a cost of 30 Euros. After checking in we went to the Thomson desk and explained what had happened and eventually, and rather reluctantly, they refunded the fare.

I have to say we have done quite a few Cruise and Stay holidays and have never had this problem so hope it was a one off issue, however talking to another Cruise and Stay traveller from another hotel they had been told transfers were not included and they were charged extra for it.

I have complained about this to Thomson but am not hopeful of a speedy response.

This sounds like a partial (or maybe complete) foul up by Thomsons - but I'm not sure at what level moving down their administrative chain.

We've never done a cruise and stay deal, so I don't know the logistical aspects of such from experience.

It does seem totally illogical for transfers not to be included - and if they are omitted, you should have been advised so in plain clear language before booking.

From my observations in Ibiza, TUI's new(ish) procedure is now to send coaches for customers of all nationalities needing transfer to the airport from various hotels without a representative onboard - whereas in the past, Thomsons would send a dedicated coach for UK clients accompanied by resort staff who did an attendance check to identify any missing punters.

That may be the source of your not being collected ?

No excuse for it regardless.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Does actually state in the A_Z guide (page 242) What's included and states 'Transfers between airport, your accommodation, and cruise ship. This is usually by coach'.

So I feel your are well within your rights to be a little upset over this, I think we all know how it feels to be waiting even before the scheduled time its a pity Thomson doesn't.

Just heard back from Thomson's regarding my complaint - a very standardised apology - I'm not impressed. Having travelled many times with this company I am seriously looking elsewhere.

Hi Gino to be honest we have never had a problem, with our stay and cruise with Thomson either Corfu or in Barbados Barbados it,s all ways a private taxi or small mini bus with no money passing hand,s except a few $ tip and strait to the ship by 12 30 pm for checking in. my only gripe with Thomson at present is the hotel we are booked into for next year it,s just a building site and reading trip advisor it wont be built and ready till Christmas, the hotel Sand,s Barbados.

Does actually state in the A_Z guide (page 242) What's included and states 'Transfers between airport, your accommodation, and cruise ship. This is usually by coach'.

So I feel your are well within your rights to be a little upset over this, I think we all know how it feels to be waiting even before the scheduled time its a pity Thomson doesn't.

Well spotted PC.

Sounds like an admin foul up at local level on GinoG's transfers etc.