Distilled water

My comments have nothing to do with CRS. The question risen was in regard to using tap water, known to have bacteria present or distilled water which does not. I prefer inhaling less bacteria so I use distilled. What's the point of your post?

Do you have a degree in microbiology and work in water research? I can put up study after study confirming my position on the matter but I am not trying to bore people with posts not pertaining to cruising or the OP.

Yes to both. The second that distilled water bottle is open it is going to be "contaminated" with environmental bacteria unless you open it in a sterile environment and use gloves and aseptic technique. Plus the 500 or so cubic feet per hour of air the cpap will bring in more bacteria than any that would be in the water. Just don't want people to do magical thinking. :)

Edited by LeesSummitCruiser1

I have had some amazing cultures from distilled water and very pure RO Product. So know it's not sterile. As pointed out it will soon be colonised by environmental bacteria.

For me the only difference is the mineral content, and my tap water is good in that regard. It is also dosed with chloramine which is a biocide, although mild. Keep on using the distilled water if you prefer. It does have health levels of placebo's in solution.

Anyway, they do provide the Distilled Water so it's there to be used. The main thing needed is the extension lead and to be careful during the night as it's a trip hazard without a bedside outlet.

Yes to both. The second that distilled water bottle is open it is going to be "contaminated" with environmental bacteria unless you open it in a sterile environment and use gloves and aseptic technique. Plus the 500 or so cubic feet per hour of air the cpap will bring in more bacteria than any that would be in the water. Just don't want people to do magical thinking. :)

I don't use a humidifier so I might be talking nonsense but ...

The antibacterial filters I use (internal and external) give me some protection. If I was using a humidifier, it wouldn't trouble me whether I used tap or distilled water.

As an aside and related in some ways ...

My doctor advised me that spending time in a hot tub increased chances of picking up a chest infection even with the chemicals. So those worried about exposure to bacteria and increased risk of an infection do have a point.

I have always requested distilled water for my CPAP and it has never been in my cabin. Rather than bother asking for it, most of the time I just use the ship's tap water. If I can brush my teeth with it, I feel secure in drinking and inhaling it. I live in Florida, where we have very hard water, so I use distilled water for my CPAP at home. That's only because of the mineral buildup that would occur in the machine.

Like someone else said, there doesn't seem to make a lot of difference not to use the humidifier. I don't bother when in a road trip.