Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Norris, I loved your Celebrity 'Silly' review (absolutely your best so far IMO) and very much appreciating this comparison with Princess. Thank you for your very hard work putting all this together.

On a more sombre note .... I understand "Thursday" will be a big day for you (it's now Thursday evening here in Oz), so I'm sending positive vibes to you and wishing you the very best of outcomes today. Hope it all goes well for you. Please let us know how it all goes ... your 'fans' here on CC are with you 100%.

Hi and thanks for the positive vibes for today!

However....after driving through the snow from Chicago to our Michigan house yesterday so I could be less than 100 miles from Court this morning I just got a call from the Police Chief telling me the court is closed today due to the bad weather. Case postponed.

I stayed in the robbery house last night for the first time since it occurred but only got one hour of sleep. It's been snowing for 14 hours but at some point I need to return to Chicago.

Ah well...

Norris

Princess has a Welcome Aboard event on the second day of the cruise (which is often a stop at Princess Cays the private island space in the Bahamas, on the island of Eleuthera, son of Ragnor, father of Odin, Lord of the Visigoths.)

This event will feature a welcome address from the Captain after the Senior officers have been introduced. It follows a live band and the colorful Champagne Fountain. As it is the first Formal night everyone will be dressed for dinner and many have portraits taken by the many ship's photographers.

Waiters work the crowd in the central Piazza with trays of champagne. Get there before 7 if want to take photos as it gets crowded even on the staircases.

What's the point of pouring "champagne" into a pyramid of glasses? There is none other than it's not something you see or partake in every day and it makes an "occasion", an "event". People line up to have their picture taken while helping the Maitre 'd pour.

Good clean fun.

20602166238_537f87bfd1_b.jpg

20602160078_f0a7292a62_b.jpg

The Officers are introduced by the Cruise Director and get to wave and be recognized as is the Princess Employee of the Month (nice touch!)

The Captains are usually British who often indulge in light hearted banter (Nick Nash, John Foster) or Italian with heavy accents and good humor. They tell you the makeup of the passengers- how many from USA, Australia, UK, China etc.

It's an event that helps Formal Night feel more special.

On X we saw slides of the Officers on a big screen before one of the shows early in the week.

Later on the Friday sea day you could meet and talk to the Officers as they appeared in the small entertainment court on deck 4. More low key and at the end of the week.

At the end of the week on Princess they have a balloon drop in the Piazza where people are dancing to a live band....sort of a New Year's Eve touch.

17463926744_d35a41f7b8_b.jpg

(Photo taken on Caribbean Princess)

FESTIVE EVENTS?

ADVANTAGE PRINCESS

Here are a couple of nice touches.

Pub Lunch is a no-fee lunch replicating food you would get in a British Pub

( Princess was once owned by British Line P & O). I never miss it. It's usually held in a pub-like room such as the Wheelhouse Bar. 11.30 to 2 pm and always busy until after 1 pm. Lines out the door. German Shepherds used to control the crowd etc.

Often you'll hear British Pop music-especially the Beatles. The food comes fast as they only have a few dishes on the menu. It's usually twice a week on sea days so there are two menus.

15807223333_4cb96e113b_b.jpg

Chicken Curry (Mild Spices)

17465909854_b56f695b2a_b.jpg

Fish and chips with mushy peas

18089445961_c6e7e7fe4d_b.jpg

My favorite reminder of home-Steak and Kidney Pie (washed down with Guinness)

15804759794_f263c1e22d_b.jpg

Ploughman's Lunch with pate, cheese, ham and Branston Pickle (tangy chutney)

16239867500_751b5a7cdd_b.jpg

If it's 4 pm and you are by the pool you may see someone dressed like this...

15379482487_9a1628f1fa_b.jpg

(photo from Ocean Princess)

Norris

Loving the comparisons Norris.

We are going to Alaska this summer with another couple. We both have adjoining suites on the Coral, so I assumer there will be enough balcony room to do a UBD.

Two questions:

How flexible is the menu? is it preset? (We have one "meat and potato" man and one "diabetic vegetarian." We wives just make do with whatever we get!).

Is it $100 per person or $100 per couple or $100 no matter how many?

Thanks and like the Silly review, I don't want it to end!

emelle

We had a different Pub experience on the Star Princess a couple of months ago. It was held in one of the MDR's for a one hour time period. It was noisy and crowded, every seat taken. I had the Steak and Kidney pie and it was okay, nothing real special. But I could get Steak and Kidney pie at the International Cafe every day if I wanted without all the hassle. Wife had fish and chips that were mushy and not hot. The whole experience was a disappointment. We would rather pay $10 at Al Bacio Cafe on Celebrity and get something really memorable. It sounds like your experience was better than ours. We will give the Pub Grille another try on the Ruby Princess on our next voyage booked with P.

With regard to Staff Officer introductions, on every one of our Celebrity voyages, the Captain has always introduced the officers personally with a champagne toast of all those assembled. I have NEVER seen a slide presentation of Staff Officers on Celebrity. If I had, I would have been disappointed too. We did not see any staff introduction on our last Princess cruise. There was a very small Martini waterfall demonstration on the Princess cruise and 7 pax were chosen at random to sample. Perhaps there was a Staff introduction and champagne waterfall on that cruise and maybe we just missed it.

Princess, like Celebrity, seems to be inconsistent on some of their ships. So much depends on the Captain, the Executive Chef, and other principal staff on each ship. We have always enjoyed the vibe on Celebrity Constellation (M class) and Reflection (S class). We are looking forward to a more rewarding experience on our next Princess voyage.

Loving the comparisons Norris.

We are going to Alaska this summer with another couple. We both have adjoining suites on the Coral, so I assumer there will be enough balcony room to do a UBD.

Two questions:

How flexible is the menu? is it preset? (We have one "meat and potato" man and one "diabetic vegetarian." We wives just make do with whatever we get!).

Is it $100 per person or $100 per couple or $100 no matter how many?

Thanks and like the Silly review, I don't want it to end!

emelle

Emelle, it's $100 per couple. You can discuss the menu when arranging the meal. Book the day you board so you get your time slot and give the kitchen a head's up re the vegetarian dishes.

As the food comes from the MDR that could widen your choices.

Glad you are enjoying this!

Norris

We had a different Pub experience on the Star Princess a couple of months ago. It was held in one of the MDR's for a one hour time period. It was noisy and crowded, every seat taken. I had the Steak and Kidney pie and it was okay, nothing real special. But I could get Steak and Kidney pie at the International Cafe every day if I wanted without all the hassle. Wife had fish and chips that were mushy and not hot. The whole experience was a disappointment. We would rather pay $10 at Al Bacio Cafe on Celebrity and get something really memorable. It sounds like your experience was better than ours. We will give the Pub Grille another try on the Ruby Princess on our next voyage booked with P.

With regard to Staff Officer introductions, on every one of our Celebrity voyages, the Captain has always introduced the officers personally with a champagne toast of all those assembled. I have NEVER seen a slide presentation of Staff Officers on Celebrity. If I had, I would have been disappointed too. We did not see any staff introduction on our last Princess cruise. There was a very small Martini waterfall demonstration on the Princess cruise and 7 pax were chosen at random to sample. Perhaps there was a Staff introduction and champagne waterfall on that cruise and maybe we just missed it.

Princess, like Celebrity, seems to be inconsistent on some of their ships. So much depends on the Captain, the Executive Chef, and other principal staff on each ship. We have always enjoyed the vibe on Celebrity Constellation (M class) and Reflection (S class). We are looking forward to a more rewarding experience on our next Princess voyage.

The MDR and a one hour sitting is not a good Pub Lunch venue at all. I don't know what they could have been thinking.- Chips -see my photo-crispy and scalding hot as was the pie. I had to let it cool. I would have been talking to the Head waiter if warm mushy chips hit my table.

First formal Night is the champagne waterfall. Captain's speech at 7.15 and the place is packed. You may have missed it.

I haven't set foot on the Star yet but now I am curious.

Thanks for the feedback!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09

We did not see any staff introduction on our last Princess cruise. Perhaps there was a Staff introduction and champagne waterfall on that cruise and maybe we just missed it.

This is very surprising. Did you go to the first formal night or to the piazza on the afternoon of the first formal night (when they start setting up the giant pyramid of champagne glasses for the waterfall)? This is typically a huge draw and well-advertised in the patter. It may be corny, but it is one of our favorite events as it is very festive and I enjoy seeing the officer intros and hearing the captain speak (as Norris said, either with fun British banter or in a very heavy Italian accent).

We had a different Pub experience on the Star Princess a couple of months ago. It was held in one of the MDR's for a one hour time period.
That's surprising. I wonder why it was done that way on your sailing. When my wife and I did the Pub Lunch on the Star Princess it was served in the Crown Grill from 11:30AM until 2PM.

The MDR and a one hour sitting is not a good Pub Lunch venue at all. I don't know what they could have been thinking.- Chips -see my photo-crispy and scalding hot as was the pie. I had to let it cool. I would have been talking to the Head waiter if warm mushy chips hit my table.

First formal Night is the champagne waterfall. Captain's speech at 7.15 and the place is packed. You may have missed it.

This is very surprising. Did you go to the first formal night or to the piazza on the afternoon of the first formal night (when they start setting up the giant pyramid of champagne glasses for the waterfall)?

This was a 5 day cruise with only one formal night. Formal night was on the second night, a sea day. If the Captains presentation was at 7:15, I think we were eating in Sabatini's for dinner at that time, which in our opinion is comparable to Tuscan Grill. Not as many courses, but still good. We had meals in our MDR that were comparable to those on Celebrity. Our wait staff, both Pinoy guys, was wonderful.

The fish not the chips was just warm and mushy. We know good fish and chips along the Pacific in California. The venue, in the Portofino MDR, was packed with a line going out the door. There was some urgency to eat and vacate your seat to make room for others. No time to talk to any waiter since it was rush, rush, rush.

But I am waiting for the review of High Tea on P. It was offered twice on sea days (in the Portofino MDR) and we went both days. Still noisy and crowded and rushed, but this time it was worth it!

The Princess Theater holds 700 people on a ship carrying 3050. It has no obstructions to everyone enjoying a view of the stage.

16426876052_3f23bcc9e9_b.jpg

It can be entered from deck 6 and deck 7.

16240410690_6325b84ee3_b.jpg

It fills up before the show starts unless it's a less popular act like the ISIS Folk Singers or the Hezbollah Rifle Jugglers.

16427262195_b75c4d65c8_b.jpg

The seat arms have pop-out trays for your drinks, like an aircraft.

17464871814_94b14f39e3_b.jpg

Theater lobby (both sides) while you wait for friends

18087423425_0c3a45c549_b.jpg

Balloons come out on International Crew Show night before curtain.

22251310850_f0135f160c_b.jpg

NEXT X

The fish not the chips was just warm and mushy. We know good fish and chips along the Pacific in California. The venue, in the Portofino MDR, was packed with a line going out the door. There was some urgency to eat and vacate your seat to make room for others. No time to talk to any waiter since it was rush, rush, rush.

But I am waiting for the review of High Tea on P. It was offered twice on sea days (in the Portofino MDR) and we went both days. Still noisy and crowded and rushed, but this time it was worth it!

I like a place called Neptune's Net along PCH way North of Malibu. Good feesh and cheeps. Haven't found great fish n chips yet in the USA but Canada (Ontario) has some authentic ones where the fish looks like a fish, not little strips. Haddock and Cod. Britain invented Chips (not called French fries there) and needing something to go with them the British invented fish also. Scientists in Oxford are working on hybrid fish that come out of the sea already battered. That will bring prices down in the average "Chippy".

Afternoon Tea is what I'll show you. It's a free thing. I think High Tea is a paid treat.

Norris

I like a place called Neptune's Net along PCH way North of Malibu.

Yep, I've been there, daughter lives in the area. Okay, but not great. Best Fish and Chips in Cali is in Morro Bay. Several places from which to pick. Ling Cod is the gold standard. It was swimming in the ocean just hours before it passes your lips. How can the fish be fresh on any cruise line? It is an unrealistic expectation on my part.

Afternoon Tea is what I'll show you. It's a free thing. I think High Tea is a paid treat.

Yes, that's the one, complimentary and waaaaaay good! We call it High Tea. On Celebrity it is $25 but complimentary for Elite members.

Great comparison Norris, and happy belated birthday. I finished your X review today also, and was certainly blown away by your pictures, it's a floating luxury resort. The Ruby looks more like an ship to me.

Also, I know you are not a fan of the Royal class, but they have replaced the coffee syrup with fresh ground. Not that will change you mind to sail on them, but it might have given another advantage to PCL in the coffee category.

We are going on the Caribbean Princess this fall for the first time to the Western Caribbean. I am going to look forward to reading your review of the ship and your experiences.

Ron

Edited by homeinboca

Yep, I've been there, daughter lives in the area. Okay, but not great. Best Fish and Chips in Cali is in Morro Bay. Several places from which to pick. Ling Cod is the gold standard. It was swimming in the ocean just hours before it passes your lips. How can the fish be fresh on any cruise line? It is an unrealistic expectation on my part.

Yes, that's the one, complimentary and waaaaaay good! We call it High Tea. On Celebrity it is $25 but complimentary for Elite members.[/size]

Where is the red tea served and how often? Any pics to share? I was totally unaware of this. Is it comparable to Princess or some Uber tea extravaganza?

I've passed through Morro Bay only on a nice drive from Santa Barbara to San Simeon and back. Thanks for the Ling Cod recommendation.

Norris

Great comparison Norris, and happy belated birthday. I finished your X review today also, and was certainly blown away by your pictures, it's a floating luxury resort. The Ruby looks more like an ship to me.

Also, I know you are not a fan of the Royal class, but they have replaced the coffee syrup with fresh ground. Not that will change you mind to sail on them, but it might have given another advantage to PCL in the coffee category.

We are going on the Caribbean Princess this fall for the first time to the Western Caribbean. I am going to look forward to reading your review of the ship and your experiences.

Ron

Ron,congratulations are you are the recipient of my 4,000th. post on CC!

Do you know what brand of coffee the Royal class is serving?

CB to Western Caribbean (Roatan, Belize and Cozumel) was my favorite Princess Caribbean itinerary (from Houston) for the excursions.

Hope you enjoy the review- I haven't read it since Feb 2014. I'll take a look at it myself.

Norris

Ron,congratulations are you are the recipient of my 4,000th. post on CC!

Do you know what brand of coffee the Royal class is serving?

CB to Western Caribbean (Roatan, Belize and Cozumel) was my favorite Princess Caribbean itinerary (from Houston) for the excursions.

Hope you enjoy the review- I haven't read it since Feb 2014. I'll take a look at it myself.

Norris

4000! I'm honoured. I'm looking forward to Belize and Roatan, never been. I do not know what kind of beans they use, but it certainly isn't Lavazza. I usually just drink the brewed or lattes at the IC anyways.

Ron

4000! I'm honoured. I'm looking forward to Belize and Roatan, never been. I do not know what kind of beans they use, but it certainly isn't Lavazza. I usually just drink the brewed or lattes at the IC anyways.

Ron

Ron, check out the excursions we did in those two stops. Different experiences.

Norris

Where is the red tea served and how often? Any pics to share? I was totally unaware of this. Is it comparable to Princess or some Uber tea extravaganza?

I've passed through Morro Bay only on a nice drive from Santa Barbara to San Simeon and back.

I don't have answers for you on Celebrity High Tea, maybe someone else. I think it is once per week. We will experience it for the first time on Celebrity in May. Princess high tea is surprisingly good for "free".

I used to work at Hearst Castle in San Simeon. I might have been your tour guide! I can tell you all about the Scipio Africanus mural. Oh, and I know all the dirt on W.R. Hearst and Marion Davis. Lot's of parallels between Hearst and a certain candidate running for the Republican nomination. What political party did Hearst below to? (the answer is VERY complicated) I love trivia!

16240410690_6325b84ee3_b.jpg

It fills up before the show starts unless it's a less popular act like the ISIS Folk Singers or the Hezbollah Rifle Jugglers.

Yeah, those shows are always lacking somehow. No one seems to show up. At least not voluntarily anyway.......:eek:

Edited by ar1950

The Silhouette Theatre holds 1095 attendees and is accessible from decks 4 and 5 forward. It's a different shape from the Princess Theater as it has balconies so you aren't as far from the stage as on Princess if you are sitting at the back.

24063048174_65c03b6e27_b.jpg

People come to their seats very late-there's a sudden influx 5 minutes before curtain time which must be disconcerting to the performer back stage looking out.

On Elegant Chic nights (Formal) there's a middle section in the balcony reserved for Suites passengers and two butlers are there to welcome them. Columns to hold up the high ceilings offer obstructions to the view.

The big stage juts out into the theater bringing the performers closer

24738484182_05c57a241e_b.jpg

24531796799_ac125138a8_b.jpg

The shows typically last an hour and I noticed it never got stuffy or uncomfortable. Cool air enters through the vents on the back of some of the seats through narrow grids. Ingenious. Fixed drinks holders though are for wine glass stems so you'll be holding your cold Mojito.

24272526663_d4a7c95999_b.jpg

As with Princess sound and lighting are state of the art and the stages have trapdoors to deliver and remove scenery smoothly-like this platform that suddenly emerged for these singers (The Tenors of Rock) and began rotating.

24603970000_631f8d973f_b.jpg

People on the Grand Class reviews often cite having to get early to the shows to get a seat as a complaint, especially when the shows last only 35 minutes or so.

I'm factoring that into the comparison. With 395 extra seats there's enough to allow people to avoid the obstructing pillars. No need to get there early for seats in my experience on X.

THEATERS?

ADVANTAGE CELEBRITY

(FOR THE CAPACITY AND THE AIR CONDITIONING)

Norris, I'm really enjoying your comparisons. We've taken five Princess cruises, and like the product very much. Unfortunately we had some major problems with our suite on the Caribbean Princess (aft corner on Dolphin) that really had a negative impact on the trip. Like you, we're huge aft fans, but if D737 had been my first aft cabin it would have definitely been my last!:(

We've only taken one Celebrity cruise so far -- Constellation to the Baltics -- and we loved almost everything about it. We have our first Solstice class cruise in just over 2 weeks, on the Equinox. Your review and this comparison are getting me even more excited.

I love your pictures too. I have the same 10-22 mm wide angle lens, and your shots have convinced me I need to take it out of my bag more often!:o I think that's going to be my second lens for our upcoming cruise.

Hi Norris,

I've been lurking for the past week and half on your reviews, finally finishing the Rome to Barcelona trip (yes, all 52 pages), and following this one "live". Everything is so well written, and your sense of humor makes me laugh out loud. Which isn't good when I am at the office reading instead of...well, what I should be doing. Your photos are fantastic! We have sailed both the Grand Class and the S ships, and your comparison is RIGHT ON!!! Although its been a few years since we've been on either. We are sailing on the Grand P next January to Hawaii out of San Francisco. Am so looking forward to it, though we will not be in a suite. Your reviews and comparisons are a fantastic way for me to pass the time until we sail! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

BTW--so sorry about your incident in November but am glad they have been caught and pray the justice system will give them what they deserve.

Tracy

As it's been asked about recently let's look at Princess Afternoon tea.

Before we do we knew our butler X would deliver Afternoon tea each day but it was this... (one sandwich already eaten)

24580630359_7156d294f2_b.jpg

We had to call him to bring the tea and he brought two cups, not a pot.

On Princess there is daily Afternoon tea 3.30 to 4.30. It is served in one of the 3 MDRs and waiters will keep you topped up with sandwiches, scones and cakes until you cry uncle. Tea too.

If you are a Sanctuary guest it comes to your lounger.

If you are a Suite or Elite guest you can have it served on your balcony by Room Service. This is what we do, arranging it in advance. They bring all the food at once. Tea comes from a pot and there is a choice of teas.

20789999555_d43db82f8d_b.jpg

20602007488_0a051da95a_b.jpg

20602002810_f75e2edbf5_b.jpg

20169044723_bc14e53597_b.jpg

20602012388_6de06e8d28_b.jpg

Yes- that was Tea for Two.

AFTERNOON TEA?

ADVANTAGE PRINCESS

(FOR OBVIOUS REASONS)