Taxi Service at Anchorage Railroad station

Mailgirl

There is a cab line right out in front of the station. BUT, don't count on "quick", :) You'll have to get your bags which have to be unloaded, and everyone gets off the train at once, so the cab lines can be long. If you have a hotel shuttle, you should call them, when you get your bags.

There is a cab line right out in front of the station. BUT, don't count on "quick", :) You'll have to get your bags which have to be unloaded, and everyone gets off the train at once, so the cab lines can be long. If you have a hotel shuttle, you should call them, when you get your bags.

We are a group of three are we going to have issues getting a cab large enough for all of us including our luggage?

We are a group of three are we going to have issues getting a cab large enough for all of us including our luggage?

How much do you plan on having? I'd suggest packing lighter anyway. :) There are vans.

Are you going to a hotel?

How much do you plan on having? I'd suggest packing lighter anyway. :) There are vans.

Are you going to a hotel?

Yes, I am going to stay in a hotel. I am in the process of trying to find one with shuttle service so far I found two. It's just annoying to pay such high prices when you are only staying over night. Convenience vs price, I am going to take the convenience only because I don't want to wait in a long taxi line.

As you come into the train station, give a cab company a call and request the taxi size that you need.

Alaska Yellow Cab's number is

907-222-2222

There's an idea, I will definitely give that a thought. Than I can stay at a cheap hotel and not have to worry about a shuttle or waiting in the taxi line.

There's an idea, I will definitely give that a thought. Than I can stay at a cheap hotel and not have to worry about a shuttle or waiting in the taxi line.

Just so you know... There's not much in the way of "cheap" hotels in Anchorage in the summer.

The Copper Whale Inn or Susitna Place B&B will be cheaper than most hotels though.

If I'm taking the train to Anchorage and then a taxi to the airport, about how long do you think it will take to pickup the luggage, get a taxi, drive over, and be at the airport?

You need to be considering flights after 1am. Have you already booked? IF so, what time is the flight?

We'll need to catch taxis to shuttle us over to Great Alaskan Holiday to pick up our RV's for the next leg of our trip. I say taxis because we are a group of 9 (2 families). Should I prebook with one of the taxi companies and if so how far in advance? If you prebook will they meet you somewhere other than the general taxi stand?

Thanks for asking this! I didn't think to ask and I'm glad you did!

We'll need to catch taxis to shuttle us over to Great Alaskan Holiday to pick up our RV's for the next leg of our trip. I say taxis because we are a group of 9 (2 families). Should I prebook with one of the taxi companies and if so how far in advance? If you prebook will they meet you somewhere other than the general taxi stand?

Thanks for asking this! I didn't think to ask and I'm glad you did!

You are talking about arriving on the train? I'd have cab numbers and call when you get into Anchorage, telling them you have to pick up your luggage, they may suggest you call back when you do have your bags. Where else do you want to meet a cab? There's the depot building with a tent and a side walk. Cabs and anyone else, stops in front of that general area. You can tell them to pick you up across the street? About as far as you want to go.

Just so you know... There's not much in the way of "cheap" hotels in Anchorage in the summer.

The Copper Whale Inn or Susitna Place B&B will be cheaper than most hotels though.

Thanks for your input on hotels, I have stayed at the Hawthorne (now Clarion Suites) Downtown Anchorage twice and spent $233. I found a couple of cheap hotel near Hertz on K street. As long as the hotels are clean and don't have bugs I don't care where I stay it's only overnight.

Thanks for your input on hotels, I have stayed at the Hawthorne (now Clarion Suites) Downtown Anchorage twice and spent $233. I found a couple of cheap hotel near Hertz on K street. As long as the hotels are clean and don't have bugs I don't care where I stay it's only overnight.

I've gotten some discounts with the prepay option. Last, I used was Quality Suites, but there are others. Of course, 100% nonrefundable.

I've gotten some discounts with the prepay option. Last, I used was Quality Suites, but there are others. Of course, 100% nonrefundable.

Thank you Budget Queen. I decided that it would be easier to use the shuttle service that Major Marine offered to Anchorage and than when they drop us off I can just call a cab to get to the hotel. The shuttle was a lot cheaper than the railroad. I have taken the railroad once so it's not like I am missing anything. I checked out the hotels with the prepay options just not sure which one I am going to go with yet. Thanks again for your input, I am sure you are going to hear from me again as I put the rest of my vacation together.

You need to be considering flights after 1am. Have you already booked? IF so, what time is the flight?

Apologies for the slow reply. My flight leaves just about 1:30 in the morning.