How Safe is Peru?

fsdj1097

My wife traveled to Lima back in the early '90s to visit a friend. She came back with tales of pickpockets, street begging, and an overall feeling of how unsafe it was to be on the streets.

We are planning a trip to Peru this May that includes a couple of days in Lima, two nights in the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Puno, and Lake Titicaca. Our hotels include the Casa Andina Select in Mira Flores, Casa Andina Private Collection in Sacred Valley, El Mapi in Aguas Calientes, Costa Del Sol in Cusco, and Posada Del Inca in Lake Titicaca. We are super excited about this 'bucket list' trip. We are bringing our 18 YO grandson along.

For those who have traveled recently to Lima, or to those who may live there, please give me your honest opinion about how things are today with regards to personal safety.

All of our travel, hotels, and many of our meals are included in our tour. For the other meals, shopping, incidentals, we are trying to decide whether to bring cash, or use credit cards and only bring the minimum amount of cash.

As always, I sincerely appreciate everyone's response.

Edited by fsdj1097

I love Lima but yes you need to be careful there.

I would not walk around with expensive jewelry on or expensive cameras and I would secure your money with a travel wallet.

Our last two times there (2013 and 2015) we had private guides and they would alert us to places to be even more observant.

So yes, you need to be careful but it is an extraordinary city.

We found other ports less of a concern as they were much smaller in size.

Keith

I love Lima but yes you need to be careful there.

I would not walk around with expensive jewelry on or expensive cameras and I would secure your money with a travel wallet.

Our last two times there (2013 and 2015) we had private guides and they would alert us to places to be even more observant.

So yes, you need to be careful but it is an extraordinary city.

We found other ports less of a concern as they were much smaller in size.

Keith

Thanks so much for your reply, Keith. We are also going to have private guides during our tours and when traveling back and forth.

You are very welcome.

Again, we loved Lima. There is so much to see.

It is so nice that you are bringing your 18 yo grand son with you. That is very special and he will remember this for the rest of his life.

Keith

He has been traveling with us since he was 9 years old. He is a great traveling companion and appreciates the opportunities that we've been fortunate enough to afford him.

BTW Keith, can you address my original post question regarding cash or credit cards?

Thanks so much.

I am sorry I missed the question about Credit Cards and Cash.

We used Credit Cards for most of our purchases and that was perfectly fine.

For our tour guides we paid 50% up front via PayPal and then they both asked that we pay the final 50% in USA dollars at the time of the tour. For small purchases we were also able to use USA dollars.

Keith

We just got back from Peru and loved it! We stayed in the same hotels in Lima, sacred valley and Aqua caliente and they were all great. We felt very safe in those areas. Lots of crowds and street hawkers in the touristy areas in Cusco but also lots of police presence. As with any travel, just use good judgement with jewelry and personal belongings. It was a wonderful trip. Enjoy!

We just got back from Peru and loved it! We stayed in the same hotels in Lima, sacred valley and Aqua caliente and they were all great. We felt very safe in those areas. Lots of crowds and street hawkers in the touristy areas in Cusco but also lots of police presence. As with any travel, just use good judgement with jewelry and personal belongings. It was a wonderful trip. Enjoy!

Thanks so much for your reply. Did you do much walking around, on your own, when you weren't on an accompanied tour?

When you went out to dinner, on your own, were you able to walk, or did you take a taxi?

Did you pay for your purchases with cash, or credit cards?

Thanks again for your reply.

Safe walking in Lima, Aqua Caliente and Cusco if you stay in the touristy areas near your hotel. Never took a cab. Most places take US dollars and/or Peruvian Sols. Smaller stores might prefer Sols. Credit cards were fine in most stores and restaurants. Condor Travel provided guides for us everywhere and they were wonderful-highly recommend them.

Lived in central and South America.....Great place to find advice on safe or places to avoid..is head to facebook and look for expat groups of that city/country..lot of great advice can be found..and find great places to visit that a normal tourist would not know about.

Lived in central and South America.....Great place to find advice on safe or places to avoid..is head to facebook and look for expat groups of that city/country..lot of great advice can be found..and find great places to visit that a normal tourist would not know about.

Great advice. I'll see what I can find out from FB.

Couldn't find much on FB regarding Peru that was current.

I have another question for anyone who may know. My grandson will be bringing a semi-expensive camera and lenses on our trip. Would a regular backpack be ok for carrying his photography equipment when we're traveling from city to city?

Thanks again for your replies.

Hi fsdj1097, I've been to Lima a number of times and really love it, and have walked around the touristy areas on my own. That said, I probably don't stick out quite as much as the average tourist. I would always ask the advice of the desk re safety about walking, after what time should I get a taxi, what areas should I avoid. In general I carry very little when around Lima...you do not even really need to carry bottled water as there are stores on every corner. Just the cash that I need for the day in a safe place, and perhaps a credit card. Re taxis, if you don't want to carry a smart phone, you can ask the hotel or restaurant to help you get one. I did use street taxis but many are nervous about that.

Re the camera, I do not prefer to walk around Lima with a backpack and big camera. I use an inexpensive point and shoot which I call my "city camera". In the SV and AC you should be fine, but when you sit down, I recommend putting a leg through the loop of the backpack to avoid it walking off (with assistance).

That's the best part of CC; the willingness of members to share their experiences.

We're investing in travel wallets and purses that have the RFID protection, and slash-proof straps.

Another question that I have is regarding in-roof safes. Katybug2, you reported that you stayed in some of the same hotels that we're going to stay in. Were there in-roof safes to keep your valuables secure when you were out and about? We only want to take the bare essential cash, etc. when we're on tours and on our own.

Thanks again everyone :)

Edited by fsdj1097

I think every hotel you have listed will have an in-room safe. They are well known chains which should (almost always) have an English speaking staff on duty, especially during the day. You may find some desk people more friendly and chatty than others so be sure to pick their brains if you find one. Interesting that the one time I stayed at a Casa Andina, though, the desk person did not have the usual welcoming personality that is almost universal in Peru! Did your travel agent book these? If so, you may want to browse the hotel websites which have information on what is in the rooms.

In Lima, that Casa Andina Select is in an area with a lot of foot traffic and you should be fine walking in the immediate area. My last trip (last June) I had a meal at Saqra which is just around the block on La Paz, and it was pretty good.

You are also quite close to Punto Azul for seafood, on the NW corner of Alcanfores and San Martin. Huge portions, family style....no reservations!

One tip re walking around is to be sure to pay attention to sidewalks as they are often uneven with short steps that you can easily stumble on...and slippery if it is foggy!

Google Maps Street View works in Lima, too...helpful to preview where you are going.

Our good friends came back in December from a wonderful three weeks in Peru -- part by land and part by river boat. Absolutely loved it! :)

They were with a tour group and never had a personal safety issue but they were told to keep their valuables in room safes at hotels and to not wear any sort of flashy jewelry.

They basically got along fine but some others in their group had major problems adjusting to the atmosphere. Seems like it's probably not the best place for any with respiratory problems or mobility issues to go.

LuLu

We left cash, passports, etc in the in room safes at every hotel. Also had a similar wallet and purse which worked well.

We don't have an expensive camera but everyone else seemed to carry one.

Agree with comments about the sidewalks-especially in Cusco. Streets are very narrow and traffic is crazy.

Found some good restaurants through Trip Advisor.

Our good friends came back in December from a wonderful three weeks in Peru -- part by land and part by river boat. Absolutely loved it! :)

They were with a tour group and never had a personal safety issue but they were told to keep their valuables in room safes at hotels and to not wear any sort of flashy jewelry.

They basically got along fine but some others in their group had major problems adjusting to the atmosphere. Seems like it's probably not the best place for any with respiratory problems or mobility issues to go.

LuLu

Sounds like the trip that we are doing in a couple weeks. I just got a prescription for Diamox from my doctor just in case. We will be in Puno for three nights and that has an elevation of 12428 feet.

Sounds like the trip that we are doing in a couple weeks. I just got a prescription for Diamox from my doctor just in case. We will be in Puno for three nights and that has an elevation of 12428 feet.

Lived in Quito for 1.5 yrs..its at 9300 ft.....1 should take altitude sickness very seriously. make sure you read up on it and hopefully the Dr went over Diamox. Its not going to do you much good if you start to take it the day u arrive in Puno. 1 usually starts 2-3 days prior....Keep in mind it is a diuretic, so you may be going to the bathroom more.....Studies have shown Ibuprofen (600mg) to be just as effective as Diamox. Stay hydrated and take it easy. many get to altitude, feel great, and think all is well....then bam, it hits them and they are in a lot of pain! Their is my RN sermon for the day,lol Enjoy the trip.

Lived in Quito for 1.5 yrs..its at 9300 ft.....1 should take altitude sickness very seriously. make sure you read up on it and hopefully the Dr went over Diamox. Its not going to do you much good if you start to take it the day u arrive in Puno. 1 usually starts 2-3 days prior....Keep in mind it is a diuretic, so you may be going to the bathroom more.....Studies have shown Ibuprofen (600mg) to be just as effective as Diamox. Stay hydrated and take it easy. many get to altitude, feel great, and think all is well....then bam, it hits them and they are in a lot of pain! Their is my RN sermon for the day,lol Enjoy the trip.

Thank you. I have been reading about it, how to take it, etc. I also have a big bottle of ibuprofen to take along :D.

Thank you. I have been reading about it, how to take it, etc. I also have a big bottle of ibuprofen to take along :D.

I'm sure u will be fine as you have read up on everything and educated urself...Many don't take altitude sickness seriously, which one should....Happened to a friend in La Paz Bolivia, which is over 10,000 ft I believe....Got there, thought all was fine and went about his normal routine, hit him hard the next day, lot of pain and discomfort.

Edited by flames9

I'm sure u will be fine as you have read up on everything and educated urself...Many don't take altitude sickness seriously, which one should....Happened to a friend in La Paz Bolivia, which is over 10,000 ft I believe....Got there, thought all was fine and went about his normal routine, hit him hard the next day, lot of pain and discomfort.

We have spent many summers and falls in the Rocky Mountains here in the US. Many times we have camped above 10k feet for over a week. We usually begin taking Diamox two days before the ascent and continue for 48 hours after reaching camp and we're typically fine.

However, if you have any other health issues, sometimes Diamox is ineffective.

Our plan is to fly to Cusco from Lima, and then immediately transfer to the Sacred Valley for an overnight before two days at Machu Picchu. Hopefully that will help with getting acclimated to the altitude.

I think every hotel you have listed will have an in-room safe. They are well known chains which should (almost always) have an English speaking staff on duty, especially during the day. You may find some desk people more friendly and chatty than others so be sure to pick their brains if you find one. Interesting that the one time I stayed at a Casa Andina, though, the desk person did not have the usual welcoming personality that is almost universal in Peru! Did your travel agent book these? If so, you may want to browse the hotel websites which have information on what is in the rooms.

In Lima, that Casa Andina Select is in an area with a lot of foot traffic and you should be fine walking in the immediate area. My last trip (last June) I had a meal at Saqra which is just around the block on La Paz, and it was pretty good.

You are also quite close to Punto Azul for seafood, on the NW corner of Alcanfores and San Martin. Huge portions, family style....no reservations!

One tip re walking around is to be sure to pay attention to sidewalks as they are often uneven with short steps that you can easily stumble on...and slippery if it is foggy!

Google Maps Street View works in Lima, too...helpful to preview where you are going.

I just revisited the website of the Casa Andina Select in Miraflores and the room amenities does list digital safes and lockboxes. Thanks for suggesting that.

Also, thanks for the walking tip. We'll try and be careful.

I appreciate restaurant suggestions....we'll definitely check them out.

We spent 2 1/2 weeks in Peru a year ago including 3 days in Lima and avoided any problems with petty crime. One thing to keep in mind in Peru is that you will have to carry your passport with you more than in most places--you can't always lock it in a hotel safe. You will need it for Machu Picchu, for riding the train or any long distance buses, also possibly the tourist ticket in Cusco. So, it is wise to have some kind of money belt or other arrangement for keeping it and your cash close to your body. I sewed pockets into the inside of my pants and carried my passport and extra cash there. My husband had a money belt. We only kept the cash we needed for the day in a more accessible location.

In terms of paying for things, we did not use credit cards very often, having concerns about security and the higher cost associated with using them. A couple of hotel reservations were prepaid using our credit card (brought along receipts to prove). We also paid someone we knew in Peru in advance for some of our tickets and tours using Western Union. We brought a reasonable amount of USD for a couple of hotels and other things that were quoted to us in USD. Otherwise, we got money from ATM's. The only issue with that is that it was not possible to get very much cash at one time--something like $250 worth--and fees were not cheap, about $5 per transaction. We have a Capital One account so there were no foreign transaction fees and we were reimbursed for most of our ATM fees.

We spent 2 1/2 weeks in Peru a year ago including 3 days in Lima and avoided any problems with petty crime. One thing to keep in mind in Peru is that you will have to carry your passport with you more than in most places--you can't always lock it in a hotel safe. You will need it for Machu Picchu, for riding the train or any long distance buses, also possibly the tourist ticket in Cusco. So, it is wise to have some kind of money belt or other arrangement for keeping it and your cash close to your body. I sewed pockets into the inside of my pants and carried my passport and extra cash there. My husband had a money belt. We only kept the cash we needed for the day in a more accessible location.

In terms of paying for things, we did not use credit cards very often, having concerns about security and the higher cost associated with using them. A couple of hotel reservations were prepaid using our credit card (brought along receipts to prove). We also paid someone we knew in Peru in advance for some of our tickets and tours using Western Union. We brought a reasonable amount of USD for a couple of hotels and other things that were quoted to us in USD. Otherwise, we got money from ATM's. The only issue with that is that it was not possible to get very much cash at one time--something like $250 worth--and fees were not cheap, about $5 per transaction. We have a Capital One account so there were no foreign transaction fees and we were reimbursed for most of our ATM fees.

We plan on bringing a RFID money belt and travel purse to carry our PassPorts and credit cards. As our tour will provide lodging, travel, transfers, and many of our meals, we will only need to pay for some meals, gifts, and incidentals. We plan on using our credit cards for as many purchases as possible, and then using cash for the places who don't accept credit cards.

My biggest concern is for my grandson's camera and accessories. He's considering a backpack that has locking closures to carry the camera. Did you have expensive cameras on your trip, and if so, how did you protect them?

Thanks again for your reply.