When do you put on the carnival luggage tags?

Tharper

When do you put on your Carnival luggage tags:

A) Before you board your flight to the port city or

B) After you claim your luggage at the airport and before you board a transfer bus?

Does anyone remember when they used to take your luggage straight from the airport to the ship without you claiming your luggage? I don't think that practice continues especially with all the security measures.

I put my Carnival tags on right before I board the ship.

We always fly in a day or so ahead, So when we leave the hotel to the pier, that is when I put on the tags.

Also I never leave old tags from previous flights on my luggage. To easy to cause confusion to the baggage handlers. The only tag I leave on my luggage at any given time, is the tag to where it is supposed to be going next.

If arriving day of cruise, I put them on before my flight. If the airline loses my bag, I want them to know where to take it. I keep a copy of my tag in my carryon, in case the original is destroyed.

If arriving the day prior to the cruise, I attach a note to the bag [with clear packing tape] noting what hotel I'll be in

If arriving day of cruise, I put them on before my flight. If the airline loses my bag, I want them to know where to take it. I keep a copy of my tag in my carryon, in case the original is destroyed.

If arriving the day prior to the cruise, I attach a note to the bag [with clear packing tape] noting what hotel I'll be in

That is some great advice. We go a day early and I have always waited till the morning of embarkation to put the tags on. I like your method and will give it try on our next cruise.

I know one thing, at least for the Port of Miami, you dont want to end up standing around in the sun fumbling around trying to find the tags to put on your bags getting harassed by the porters and watching the line get longer and longer before your eyes.

In less words, we do it before we get to the pier, either at the airport or hotel.

Ok its questions like this that reveal my anal retentiveness!! :rolleyes:

The tags go on as soon as I'm packed. I am always so worried about not doing something correctly or forgetting something that will end up with me being denied boarding that I run around like an insane person on departure day.

I will actually check the tags about 50 times before boarding to make sure they are secure and not in grave danger of falling off. And that is when I'm not checking for the millionth time to make sure I have all my documentation, directions to the pier and my camera.

If my vacation is gonna get screwed up, it aint gonna be from lack of preperation on my part!! :D

One other tip for luggage tags...I put one on my camera which has my room number on it..just in case I happen to lay it down and forget it somewhere on the ship. A friend of mine put one on her camera on our last cruise, lost the camera, and it was returned to her...:)

I know one thing, at least for the Port of Miami, you dont want to end up standing around in the sun fumbling around trying to find the tags to put on your bags getting harassed by the porters and watching the line get longer and longer before your eyes.

Oh this is so my family! Standing around in the hot sun dicking around with bag tags and pens that don't work while we are getting yelled at by porters.

"It's all part of the holiday experience" Clark Griswold

Oh this is so my family! Standing around in the hot sun dicking around with bag tags and pens that don't work while we are getting yelled at by porters.

"It's all part of the holiday experience" Clark Griswold

LOL...and don't forget as you start to board that they drive off with your luggage on that forklift and one falls off, gets run over and a trash truck comes by at the same time thinking it was trash and loaded it up.:eek:

Our TA told me to wait till we got to Orlando to put the tags on our suitcases and since we were staying the night there it was no problem at all. When we were leaving the ship we didn't think to take them off, and Southwest Airlines removed them for us (but gave them to us - so they are in the scrapbook. Yippee!):o

Just a little tip - I now attach the tags with electric zip ties. I had one cruise where the tag was torn off my suitcase and I didn't know where to go look for it. I finally found it at the Pursur's office, with my luggage tag, but not the Carnival tag. The elastic on the Carnival tags isn't very sturdy, so to be safe, I use the zip ties.

For the love of all things holy, just make sure you fill them out BEFORE you are standing around with 30 (not kidding...there may have been more)other family members and sharing one stinking ink pen in the middle of the little drop off circle at the Tampa terminal.

Yes, this goes out to that lovely group of folks that didn't have their tags filled out, on nor were even paying attention to what was going on around them, had traffic stopped, port authority workers yelling at them to get out of the way, cars honking, and they were continuing to hug, wave, chit chat, bump into me, bumping into my car, walked off with one of my suitcases and didn't seem to understand that it WASN'T THEIRS, refused to move when we were trying to back up out of the parking space, and trying to figure out how to fill out the PILE of luggage tags they had in their hands, and blocking all hope of a port authority worker noticing that my husband and I were ready for ours to be picked up and we wanted to get the heck out of that mess! Oh dear LORD!

But I digress....LOL! I kept bumping into that same woman all over the ship that took off with my suitcase at the port...LOL!

I would put them on after you get off the plane before you get to the port...but that is just me.

:)

Happy sailing!

Stef

Well that's one thing you can never accuse my DH of, holding up traffic. We sailed out of Baltimore and did not have luggage tags, got our docs via E-mail, really hated it. So we had to fill out luggage tags at the pier. Since we were driving DH unloaded the luggage at the carts in the parking lot line while I ran to the table for tags. I turn around after putting info on tags and he is gone, so I put the tags on the luggage and went hunting. Took me 20 minutes to find him, parked in the lot waiting in the car, like I knew exactly which direction he went. Go figure.

Sherryl, what exactly are "electric zip ties?" Whatever you do, it sounds as though it works. I've had the same problem with the elastic on the Carnival tags. I've thought about laminating them, punching a hole in the top and then securing them to my bags with a heavy plastic tie. But if your idea is better, I'm there. So. . . . . what are they?

I did right after I packed. But I was one of the last ones to get there luggage on the ship for the tag ripped off and it was just setting on top of it when I got it.:rolleyes:

I use tape (scotch, packing, duct..whatever) to re-inforce those flimsy strings they give you to attach your tags. Worked well last time. Of course, you may then need a sharp implement to remove them later!

C

Archived