Beach Chairs on Orient

wulicny

Bill:

Orient Beach sports several areas where you can rent chaises and umbrellas. We've always gone to Bikini Beach since it is convenient for getting the taxi back to the ship, and they have a nice restaurant there for lunch. The others I have walked past and, as I said, they all seem equally equipped.

RussG,

Thanks! I was thinking of going to Baywatch or Pedro's. Since that is at one end of the beach, I suspect we will start there. We'll stop at the first place we come to with padded beach chairs and cold beverages. I know that is more "clothing optional" end of the beach; that's why we're starting there. It will likely be the least "family" end of the beach as a result!

RussG,

We'll stop at the first place we come to with padded beach chairs and cold beverages. I know that is more "clothing optional" end of the beach; that's why we're starting there. It will likely be the least "family" end of the beach as a result!

The pads are all about the same. Your choice will be color of pad and umbrella.

All the chairs are the same except the color. The bad part is all the chairs are lined up like a theater. Very little space between the different vendors.

We have done the ship's tour each time we were on this island and loved it. The beach is beautiful, the food at the restaurants were tasty. Not having to worry about being late to the ship finding a taxi was the best part.

The clothing optional people parade up and down the beach in front of all. If you are bringing children be prepared.

All the chairs are the same except the color. The bad part is all the chairs are lined up like a theater. Very little space between the different vendors.

We have done the ship's tour each time we were on this island and loved it. The beach is beautiful, the food at the restaurants were tasty. Not having to worry about being late to the ship finding a taxi was the best part.

The clothing optional people parade up and down the beach in front of all. If you are bringing children be prepared.

One teeny quibble with the wording here. Yes, there are a few who do "parade" (no different from Speedo-wearing men--which I don't care for--or thong-wearing women on other beaches, except for a few scraps of fabric, of course). Most are simply taking advantage of the clothing-optional aspect of a clothing-optional beach. All beaches on the French side allow female toplessness; it's simply part of the culture. No more and no less.

The warning is valid, however. If a topless woman or nude man will offend, then go as far a possible from Club Orient (the clothing-optional--not nudist--resort). Even so, there are likely to be topless women, at the least. If this is unacceptable (and I'm not saying anyone is "wrong" for feeling this way), then it's best to go to other beaches and especially beaches on the Dutch side, which have much less nudity.

Enjoy Orient--we loved it and can't wait to go back someday. We liked Pedros and Baywatch, as well as (I think it's called) La Playa, and have heard that Kakao (sp?) is good. The food at Club Orient's open air restaurant was very good and fresh. (Confession: To DH's delight, I was comfortable to go topless all afternoon, including in that restaurant and the Orient Club shop, and I was far from the least dressed. Most women had on swimsuit bottoms and/or a pareo as I did, but some folks of both genders were nude. However, no one sat directly on the seats with a bare bottom; they used towels. And no one was "parading" in any way.) I also noticed more and more topless women as the day went by. It was just a pleasant, lovely feeling--especially in the water--buoyancy you know.;)

Also, it's imperative for anyone who "imbibes" to have a guavaberry colada--OMG! I had tasted the guavaberry liquer and guavaberry rum and thought "oh, it's okay," but then my sister bought me the colada. Yum! I also recommend the mango liquer colada type thing. That liquer is outstanding.

beachchick:D

Not at all. You didn't offend me in the least. I just wanted to clarify that it's not a bunch of "in your face, I'm so nude, look at me as I strut around annoying you" people, which is what some people do construe with the word "parading" on a beach. (Although, as I mentioned, we have experienced a few of those--very few, thank goodness.) That's all. No offense taken at all.

Just a bit of further clarification though, not all "the clothing optional people" walk up and down the beach all day. Some do; some don't; some walk a little bit here or there for food, drink, recreation, or swimming. I suspect that those who do walk by more than once are simply noticed more by those of us who aren't used to seeing quite so much, so to speak. I doubt most of us would notice someone in a bathing suit who walked up and down the beach several times in a day. Come to think of it, most people do enjoy walking beaches, so I guess that's why I never noticed one way or the other in terms of who was walking where or how often.

beachchick

Archived