Cole Bay...

davekathy

Do the buses in Phillipsburg go over to the Harley Davidson dealership at Cole Bay? If so where in Phillipsburg and Cole Bay are the bus stops located? Are the buses vans or bigger?

Based on my experiences there are no real schedules or bus stops. Watch for the bus (yes they are minivans) and flag them down. For the most part, the buses, which are privately owned and not regulated (as far as I know), travel through Philipsburg, Simpson Bay, Marigot, and Grand case. In some of the busier sections of the cities you may spot a bus stop sign that says "Bushalte" - but they will stop anywhere if you flag them down or ask them to stop if you are already on the bus.

The buses have their final stop posted on the windshield (usually Philipsburg or Marigot) - some have other signs. Here is an example of one: SXM%2BBus%2BWindow%2BSigns.JPG

The buses do go near Cole Bay, but I am not sure they go directly by the dealership. Based on my experience taking the bus there, here is what I would do:

- Go to Back street in Philipsburg.

- Flag down a bus headed West (away from the port) towards Mullet/Maho

- Tell him you want to be dropped off at the round about at Cole Bay (Union Rd). There is a KFC right there.

- You can get off at the roundabout and walk to the dealership - it is just a couple of blocks away. http://goo.gl/maps/r5hFzLee7oP2

I have heard in the past that if you tell the driver exactly where you want to go (and it's not on the route), sometimes they will make a VERY small detour to drop you off. But I have not tried this myself.

Best thing is to just tell the driver where you are trying to go and he will drop you off as close as he can. In your situation, worst case is a couple of blocks from the dealership.

Bus will cost you $2 each way. Make sure you have exact amount.

If you want a more direct route and to get dropped off at the front door of the dealership, then spend a few more bucks and just take a taxi.

For your return trip, just do the reverse.

Hope that helps.

Edited by DaddyBytes

Do the buses in Phillipsburg go over to the Harley Davidson dealership at Cole Bay? If so where in Phillipsburg and Cole Bay are the bus stops located? Are the buses vans or bigger?

DaddyBytes has it pretty much correct, but don't take the bus to Mullet/Maho.

The Marigot bus passes directly in front of the HD store. Ask the driver where to pick up for your return. On the return you would be looking for a Philipsburg/P'Burg bus, which should be just about every one that comes by.

gary

Based on my experiences there are no real schedules or bus stops. Watch for the bus (yes they are minivans) and flag them down. For the most part, the buses, which are privately owned and not regulated (as far as I know), travel through Philipsburg, Simpson Bay, Marigot, and Grand case. In some of the busier sections of the cities you may spot a bus stop sign that says "Bushalte" - but they will stop anywhere if you flag them down or ask them to stop if you are already on the bus.

The buses have their final stop posted on the windshield (usually Philipsburg or Marigot) - some have other signs. Here is an example of one: SXM%2BBus%2BWindow%2BSigns.JPG

The buses do go near Cole Bay, but I am not sure they go directly by the dealership. Based on my experience taking the bus there, here is what I would do:

- Go to Back street in Philipsburg.

- Flag down a bus headed West (away from the port) towards Mullet/Maho

- Tell him you want to be dropped off at the round about at Cole Bay (Union Rd). There is a KFC right there.

- You can get off at the roundabout and walk to the dealership - it is just a couple of blocks away. http://goo.gl/maps/r5hFzLee7oP2

I have heard in the past that if you tell the driver exactly where you want to go (and it's not on the route), sometimes they will make a VERY small detour to drop you off. But I have not tried this myself.

Best thing is to just tell the driver where you are trying to go and he will drop you off as close as he can. In your situation, worst case is a couple of blocks from the dealership.

Bus will cost you $2 each way. Make sure you have exact amount.

If you want a more direct route and to get dropped off at the front door of the dealership, then spend a few more bucks and just take a taxi.

For your return trip, just do the reverse.

Hope that helps.

DaddyBytes has it pretty much correct, but don't take the bus to Mullet/Maho.

The Marigot bus passes directly in front of the HD store. Ask the driver where to pick up for your return. On the return you would be looking for a Philipsburg/P'Burg bus, which should be just about every one that comes by.

gary

Thank you both very much. The suggestions/recommendations were very helpful. We've been to St Maarten many times. I can picture in my mind exactly where to go to flag down a bus.