Wine-by-the-glass and more drink questions

vinotinto

The reason is clear: if they required every extra (3rd and up) person in cabin to purchase the package in addition to 1st and 2nd passenger getting it as a promo, that would mean a lot of unjustifiable extra costs for passengers. When the package is purchased separately, that is customer's choice to do so - up until very recently one couldn't even book a cruise without it having the inflated price because of the included promo.

Not always, it only applies to non-full-suite bookings through the US office. Suite passengers and all passengers booking through the UK and CE offices are exempted.

? Never said anything like that, you are now confusing posts/posters. If you have UBP, you will get 20% discount of wine bottles.

See your post 67, the whole reason to my opinion. I don't get easily confused.

Have a good day

See your post 67, the whole reason to my opinion. I don't get easily confused.

Yes, you got confused. That reply only addressed the emphasized part of the quote, everybody in the cabin having to purchase UBP.

No harm, no foul - it happens. :)

Yes, you got confused. That reply only addressed the emphasized part of the quote, everybody in the cabin having to purchase UBP.

No harm, no foul - it happens. :)

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Got it, I find that even harder to believe.

Oh well,

My upcoming cruise will be my second with NCL, we'll see how the free UBP, works out.

We are sailing on Jade starting 2nd May. I have looked at the lists posted and it seems they have taken off Tanqueray gin........my absolute favourite!

Are all cocktails on the bar lists included in UBP. I understood that it was all drinks below $15, and it seems from the list that virtually all drinks are below that price.

We are sailing on Jade starting 2nd May. I have looked at the lists posted and it seems they have taken off Tanqueray gin........my absolute favourite!

Are all cocktails on the bar lists included in UBP. I understood that it was all drinks below $15, and it seems from the list that virtually all drinks are below that price.

Yes, on all other ships except Sky UBP should cover all drinks $15 or below regardless of the brand.

Only when purchasing it, nowadays most people get it as a booking perk and that rule does not apply.

I was intrigued by what you said so I chatted with Norwegian about what their policy is about adults sharing a cabin.

All adults sharing a cabin must get the UBP, if purchasing it, ie., not just one can buy the UPB.

If it is included as a booking perk, then the first two passengers get the perk. Additional passengers may buy it if they want to. So they would be paying $79/day plus the 18% gratuity. It might be cheaper in the long run to book two cabins with two people each, all getting the UBP perk.

On the Sky, it's open bar for everyone, and there is not the additional 18% gratuity.

I'm glad this came up so we could iron out the details.

I was intrigued by what you said so I chatted with Norwegian about what their policy is about adults sharing a cabin.

All adults sharing a cabin must get the UBP, if purchasing it, ie., not just one can buy the UPB.

If it is included as a booking perk, then the first two passengers get the perk. Additional passengers may buy it if they want to. So they would be paying $79/day plus the 18% gratuity. It might be cheaper in the long run to book two cabins with two people each, all getting the UBP perk.

On the Sky, it's open bar for everyone, and there is not the additional 18% gratuity.

I'm glad this came up so we could iron out the details.

I was on SKY and was charged the 18% it was added to the cruise price. And yes you cans drink almost everything, I felt pickled after 4 days.

I was on SKY and was charged the 18% it was added to the cruise price. And yes you cans drink almost everything, I felt pickled after 4 days.

I wonder if this has changed. I did a dummy booking on the Sky and it's not adding the 18%.

It won't be added until you are on the ship

Do you remember what you were charged? I'm wondering how they would be calculating 18% when there is no cost for the beverage package on the Sky.

Is it possible you are confusing a beverage gratuity with the regular gratuity, which is about $13/day/person?

Do you remember what you were charged? I'm wondering how they would be calculating 18% when there is no cost for the beverage package on the Sky.

Is it possible you are confusing a beverage gratuity with the regular gratuity, which is about $13/day/person?

When you pick your perk, UBP i.e. , they will charge an 18% service charge based on the original price of the package. My 18% is added to the price of the booking. I don't have my booking info from SKY , but I do have it for My Spirit cruise, the 18% is charged as Beverage Service Charge. All lines do not charge this for the free package.

I just figured, I get the package for about 13 a day.

When you pick your perk, UBP i.e. , they will charge an 18% service charge based on the original price of the package.

You don't add UBP as a perk for bookings on Sky, it is automatically included for everybody.

Really, some people didnt have it.

Yes, on all cruises booked since last April and sailed since this January.

"Effective for Norwegian Sky sailings booked on or after 4/22/15 for sailings embarking on or after 1/04/2016 – guests will receive complimentary beverages which include designated spirits, cocktails, bottled beer, draft beer, and wines by the glass and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and Great Stirrup Cay."

https://www.ncl.com/terms/sky-beverages

"Effective for Norwegian Sky sailings booked on or after 4/22/15 for sailings embarking on or after 1/04/2016 – guests will receive complimentary beverages which include designated spirits, cocktails, bottled beer, draft beer, and wines by the glass and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and Great Stirrup Cay."

My sailing was in December...

By the way are you an NCL expert? It would be great to know who to ask. I am in Europe right now, I can't even get the US LINK, it sends me to the EU link.

I hear you. I've brought wine on the cruises departing from port canaveral and San Juan. Except now we're departing from Venice, so we'll likely fly with a 21" 7 kg carry-on, so unless we have a chance to buy wine in Venice proper, we won't be bringing wine on-board. That wine by the glass list is seriously skimpy.

I think that you will be able to buy some wine in Venice - Italians like their wine.

I have got the UBP for my next cruise, it is my birthday next week so I think I will make the most of it, but given the 18% that I have paid which is about the same as I have paid for the whole cruise bar tab in the past I am seriously considering whether I would get it another time. Paying the corkage fee instead sounds like a very good idea.

Edited by ollienbertsmum

We carried wine on in Venice last May and were not charged corkage. Does this mean you won't be? No, but there is always a chance. Europe seems much more lax about it than the US.

It's not about being in Europe.

In Venice the layout of the terminal is not very suitable for NCL's standard procedures as the security screening is the absolute last thing before boarding the ship. We had similar experience in Venice but were charged corkage fees for the bottles in restaurants as the waiters were very vigilant to ask about it.

Dang.. that wine list is so different and so small since the last time we cruised.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started offering 'Levels' of UBP like events/catering companies do.. Only Beer, Beer + Wine, Wine + Beer + Spirits.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started offering 'Levels' of UBP like events/catering companies do.. Only Beer, Beer + Wine, Wine + Beer + Spirits.

They already have a separate drink package for beer and wine, Corks and Caps.

https://www.ncl.com/terms/corks-and-caps-package

But as I've already mentioned, reducing also the availability of other drinks with UBP probably isn't that far away.

It's probably time to just experiment with other drinks than wine for me. Anyone have recommendations for dinner cocktails in MDR? I don't want something super filling w dinner or overly sweet and a mojhito is probably too labor intensive to ask bar to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app