Questions about port excursions

Kellutvols

I'm a new cruiser and as I start to get ready for my cruise I have a few questions about port excursions:

Do you need to take passports and ID when you get off boat at the ports?

What do you recommend we bring with us on excursions?

Where do you put personal items when swimming in ocean?

Any other tips you may have about excursions would be appreciated!

In the Caribbean, no passport is needed by American citizens. You don't bring it ashore..no need. You might need ID, and your DL is the same size as your ship's key.

(Actually, you should ALWAYS have ID on you, wherever you go!!)

If you're on a boat, leave your stuff on the boat while snorkeling or swimming. If you're on a bus, you can leave your dry stuff in the bus. Someone stays with the vehicle. Or, you can put key, DL, credit card, and even money in a velcroed pocket in your swim trunks...water hurts none of those things!!!

Edited by cb at sea

You will need to take your ship card and drivers license. Passport stays locked up in your cabin safe.

What to take with you depends on the type of excursion. If a beach/swimming/snorkeling type thing you will want a beach towel (which the ship will provide in your cabin), sunblock, etc. If a walking tour, have on a good walking shoe such as a sneaker. Also take some cash on any tour for tipping, buying souvenirs, lunch if not included, etc. We always take a bottle of water. Also, don't forget your camera.

As far as what to do with your belongings, some places have lockers you can rent, others do not. When snorkeling, we leave belongings on boat and never had a problem. We do limit what we take and anything of value I put in the bottom of bag with towels and such on top to make it harder for someone to get to it without being obvious.

I'm a new cruiser and as I start to get ready for my cruise I have a few questions about port excursions:

Do you need to take passports and ID when you get off boat at the ports?

What do you recommend we bring with us on excursions?

Where do you put personal items when swimming in ocean?

Any other tips you may have about excursions would be appreciated!

Several different kinds of waterproof pouches are available onlilne. However, when snorkeling on my own off a public beach, I simply put the DL, Ship's key card, and credit card in a strong zip lock bag, press the air out of it, and make sure it's completely closed. I tuck that into the zippered mesh pocket of my snorkel vest. They rarely leak since you're usually not diving very deep if at all.