Just back from Galaxy - condition report as promised!

greygypsy

We just got off the Galaxy Eastern Med cruise and will write a more thorough review when time permits, but I promised many folks a quick report on a few items and here it is.

-

Condition of the ship - In a word - mixed. Our suite - 1209 - was in great shape, but many of the public areas are in need of refurbishment. The stratosphere lounge is the worst as many of the windows have broken seals and the carpet is in very sad shape. The gym and aqua spa area are also in need of repair (although the aqua spa itself was superb as always). I'm sure Celebrity will be dealing with these issues when the ship drydocks next year.

-

Service on the ship - In a word - superb. From our butler on down to the assistant waiter greeting everyone to the Oasis in the morning, the staff was friendly, helpful and the best you could ask for.

-

Food on the ship - In a word - well, two words - too much. Quantities have grown to the point of wastefulness - perhaps this is a result of previous complaints about the quantities being too small (?). Anyway, I'm a pretty good eater and could rarely finish my main meal. Starters and desserts continue to be the stars of the show, with inconsistent results on main dishes. Those of you who like lamb and veal will be very pleased. The beef was inconsistent - sometimes wonderful, other times had to send it back. Selections and quality at the Oasis have improved since our last sailing, and Celebrity is now doing a better job of keeping food available if you return from shore between 2-5 p.m.

-

Itinerary - exotic, fascinating and tiring. Need a vacation after the vacation. Will share more details in the long review to come.

-

Any other immediate questions, shoot them my way and I'll do my best to get you an answer.

-

Good cruising everyone - Jeff

Sounds like the physical plant is almost a rusted bucket. Guess that's why our upcoming cruise out of Galveston is priced at $80 per day.

Ouch! We took a Panama Canal cruise on the Galaxy earlier this year. I would not characterize it as anywhere near the rust bucket stage. I would grab at the chance to get the Galaxy for only $80 per day! If nothing else, the meals and service by itself would be worth it.

Jeff .... Thanks so very much for your time to update the rest of us on Galaxy! Glad you had a good cruise!

Sorry to hear about the condition of the public areas ... but HAPPY the food and service are as we remembered -- GREAT!

Thanks again! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Condition of the ship - In a word - mixed. Our suite - 1209 - was in great shape, but many of the public areas are in need of refurbishment. The stratosphere lounge is the worst as many of the windows have broken seals and the carpet is in very sad shape.

I agree in fact the Stratoshere was virtually deserted for the whole of our cruise which is strange as these front of ship lounges are usually very popular.

Sounds like the physical plant is almost a rusted bucket.

How did you arrive at that conclusion from the original post?

thanks for the update, doesn't sound as if her condition has diminished since our april cruise on her. there were not many folks in the stratosphere lounge during the day then. pretty crowded at night though with the disco crowd. looking forward to your full review.

Sounds like the physical plant is almost a rusted bucket. Guess that's why our upcoming cruise out of Galveston is priced at $80 per day.

Yes. But the cabin was on the Continental deck.

In a converted laundry closet.

So don't make too much out of this.

Want to upgrade my 4-13-06 booking...we are booked in one of the rust bucket rooms, asking if we can get a rusty barrel for $85 per day. Heck, an extra $5 per day to go from a bucket to a barrel...

Yep, window seals were busted lst April, so I guess I won't be shocked when I see them again.

Personally, think it is a combination of ship, personnel, service, entertainment, food and fellow passengers + ports that determine the quality of a cruise and the Galaxy scores high.:o

Want to upgrade my 4-13-06 booking...we are booked in one of the rust bucket rooms, asking if we can get a rusty barrel for $85 per day. Heck, an extra $5 per day to go from a bucket to a barrel...

Yep, window seals were busted lst April, so I guess I won't be shocked when I see them again.

Personally, think it is a combination of ship, personnel, service, entertainment, food and fellow passengers + ports that determine the quality of a cruise and the Galaxy scores high.:o

Jim- if you have the chance I would love to hear your opinions on the differences between the Galaxy and Zaandam?

Archived