Dining Plan and A la carte? NCL Star

ELA

We are on the Star in March and have a Dining Plan.

I understand that now we are limited to 4 visits at specialty restaurants.

But what is the a la carte reference that I see? Id I want a lobster or filet mignon would we get charged extra?

Thanks

Ela

We are on the Star in March and have a Dining Plan.

I understand that now we are limited to 4 visits at specialty restaurants.

But what is the a la carte reference that I see? Id I want a lobster or filet mignon would we get charged extra?

Thanks

Ela

Those with SDP, Specialty Dining Plan, can ignore the a la carte prices.

You can order several appetizers, one entree, several desserts.

Extra charge for entree only if you order a second one.

No extra a charge for a 2nd entree or anything else. Was just on it 1/31 and order the Lobster and a filet to go with it. No Charge. The best Lobster hands down on the ship is in the French restaurant. Matter of fact it was so good we used 2 of our 4 nights there. The steak house lobster was good but not even close to the French. Lobster in the Italian wasn't bad. Creme Brulee in the French was also the best. Enjoy

We were on the Jewel from 1/31-2/7, if you had the SDP you were limited to one salad or soup, one app, one entrée, and desert.

Not sure if this will be consistent on all ships, but that's what the server told us in Lebistro.

Those with SDP, Specialty Dining Plan, can ignore the a la carte prices.

You can order several appetizers, one entree, several desserts.

Extra charge for entree only if you order a second one.

Thanks NMLady, I couldn't figure out what the SDP was good for if you have to pay a la carte?!?!

We were on the Jewel from 1/31-2/7, if you had the SDP you were limited to one salad or soup, one app, one entrée, and desert.

Not sure if this will be consistent on all ships, but that's what the server told us in Lebistro.

Sounds as if that server was confusing the SDP with the platinum perk.

Those of us who get a free dinner in Le Bistro for being platinum are now limited to one starter, one entree, one dessert. But those with SDP are not limited to number of starters or desserts.

No. He was clear. SDP got one soup/salad, one app, one entree, and one dessert.

He may have been clear in what he was saying, but that doesn't mean he wasn't confused himself.

What he said was correct for the platinum perk, but wasn't what the SDP terms state, and what others have experienced.

I would like to see where in terms and conditions it says that...just so I can have proof if they say I can't have more than one app...terms I see under the free promo does not say anything about it

It doesn't specifically say about being allowed to order multiple starters, sides or deserts. However, the terms and conditions plus the FAQs on the same page say:

"Charges will apply for additional main course orders."

"ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro."

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Whilst the wording is not as clear as would be ideal (this is NCL after all), those quotes certainly suggest that additional starters are included (otherwise why specifically state there is a charge for extra main courses).

The key thing is that, in the four months since a la carte pricing started, the person above is the first one that I have seen on here who hasn't been able to order multiple starters, sides or deserts, and a lot of people have reported being able to do so. My interpretation of the T&Cs has been backed up by NCLs actions. Unless there has been a change of policy in the last couple of weeks, you are unlikely to actually have an issue.

If you do have trouble then producing a copy of the page that I linked to with those bits highlighted may well help your case if you choose to argue it. Nothing is guaranteed though.

Edited by KeithJenner

It doesn't specifically say about being allowed to order multiple starters, sides or deserts. However, the terms and conditions plus the FAQs on the same page say:

"Charges will apply for additional main course orders."

"ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro."

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Whilst the wording is not as clear as would be ideal (this is NCL after all), those quotes certainly suggest that additional starters are included (otherwise why specifically state there is a charge for extra main courses).

The key thing is that, in the four months since a la carte pricing started, the person above is the first one that I have seen on here who hasn't been able to order multiple starters, sides or deserts, and a lot of people have reported being able to do so. My interpretation of the T&Cs has been backed up by NCLs actions. Unless there has been a change of policy in the last couple of weeks, you are unlikely to actually have an issue.

If you do have trouble then producing a copy of the page that I linked to with those bits highlighted may well help your case if you choose to argue it. Nothing is guaranteed though.

Thanks for your help!

Does this matter?

We just booked a 7-night cruise on the Epic with the specialty dining plan promo. We've only been on Norwegian for one other cruise, so any advice on how this plan works would be greatly appreciated.

No it doesn't matter much. I assume the poster you quoted asked the question because the OP said that they thought they had 4 meals. If purchased then it would have been up to them how many meals to buy, if a promo then it depends on the number of nights of the cruise.

As for advice on how it works, it is just about the most discussed thing on this board at the moment. Just open up a random thread and the chances are it will be about the UDP.