NCL Feedback Please

tiger belle

thanks, everyone...the feedback has been very helpful..I am now leaning towards booking a cruise on the Dawn...it sounds like something I would like to try out...like others have said, a cruise is what you make it, and I've never had a "bad" cruise (knock on wood ha ha)

the benefit of sailing out of NOLA is that I am in Baton Rouge...short trip by car...N'awlins is a great place to visit, and the food is terrific, so I would also encourage anyone sailing out of NOLA to plan a couple of extra days in the city

and...Geaux Tigers indeed! it's baseball season now, and I think there is a game in Alex Box today : )

Its still early in the season, I think the tigers are 4 and 2.

Driving in from BR you can save on a hotel by leaving yor house at 9:00 and arriving at the port after parking 11:00 or 11: 30 depending on the I-10 and where you decide to park.

Its still early in the season, I think the tigers are 4 and 2.

Driving in from BR you can save on a hotel by leaving yor house at 9:00 and arriving at the port after parking 11:00 or 11: 30 depending on the I-10 and where you decide to park.

yes, Tigers have been hot and cold so far...when I cruise out of NOLA, I pretty much do what you recommended above...I booked the cruise on the Dawn leaving Nov. 27

yes, Tigers have been hot and cold so far...when I cruise out of NOLA, I pretty much do what you recommended above...I booked the cruise on the Dawn leaving Nov. 27

Hey Theresa... glad to see you decided to book the Dawn! I recall you posting in the roll call that you were considering this as your first NCL cruise.

We'll be having a meet & mingle and slot pull if you're interested in joining in. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48481427#post48481427

It'll be a great week. I believe we'll be one of the first ships to visit NCL's new private island in Belize.

Edited by TheDougOut

I highly recommend the Dawn. We have sailed on her three times. Yes it is a little older but in very good condition. It doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" of the big ship, but it also doesn't have the crowds of people either.

I love New Orleans as a port city. If you can swing it, try going a couple of days early. There is so much good food and entertainment.

I get my hackles up any time I see the words "nickel and diming." I have only sailed on RCCl besides NCL Let me compare:

NCL charges for pictures. So does everyone else.

NCL expects you to pay gratuities. So does everyone else

NCL charges for alcohol and soft drinks. So does everyone else.

Specialty restaurants are extra just like everyone else

NCL charges for ice cream sundaes, sodas and milkshakes. So does RCCL.

The point is you have options. You don't have to spend a penny over your fare plus gratuities. So how is that nickel or diming?

We were just on the Breakaway and we did feel nickeled and dimed (compared to Celebrity, the only ship we've sailed before.)

We had the UBP. It does not include water or premium coffee. Celebrity's includes all of the premium non-alcoholic beverages- premium bottled water, vitamin waters, red bull, soda, and premium coffee. I am a very light (alcohol) drinker and for someone like me that means a lot. NCL charged to tour the ship. That kind of made me chuckle. I understand there are premium restaurants but on the BA they have up-charges for certain items, in the free restaurants. I think the "free" restaurants should be free. I also think the entertainment should be free, but some of it on the BA was not. I did not find this the case on Celebrity. It's just my opinion.

Edited by bboop51

I think a comparison between NCL and Celebrity is not apples to apples. Celebrity is considered a premium brand and so I would think there would be more benefits included in the higher fare. That being said, I am not a fan of NCL charging for certain meals in the standard restaurants, but then they could have just removed the items from the menu all together. I have never been charged on NCL for ice cream and toppings. I think there is a charge for Gelato from the Gelato specialty shop, but not for ice cream.

I am considering booking a cruise on NCL Dawn out of New Orleans in November. I have yet to cruise NCL and don't know a lot about that line or the ship Dawn. In the past I've cruised RCCL and Carnival. I tend to like the medium sized ships like Carnival Triumph or Conquest. What I'd like to know is what I can expect to be different on a Norwegian cruise as compared to Carnival and RCCL. I would be especially appreciative of any comments from fellow cruisers who've cruised all 3 lines in the past...thanks for any feedback y'all can give!

While the Dawn is an older and smaller NCL ship, many of us love her. I am sad that she does not sail from NY anymore. My family has sailed many, many times on both NCL and RCCL; I have always found the food on NCL to be much better than on RCCL; lately service on RCCL has deteriorated too. Carnival is better than it used to be, since taking over HAL--I think it has gained some prestige, but still gets a very young crowd. Depends what you are looking for. For the price, I would sail NCL over RCCL.