Activities in Olden

Paula66

Hi all! Going to Norwegian Fjords in May and one of the ports is Olden (P&O Aurora). We'd like to do something different to the glacier. We were thinking of hiring bikes but can't find any site that is in Olden. Has anyone hired bikes from this port? Otherwise has anyone any suggestions for alternative activities?

Any help gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Hi Paula66

When we were in olden last year we saw several passengers and crew who had hired bikes.The ship docks at a small pier and right next to this you will see the bikes sitting opposite the tourist info center.I seem to recall there was a small portacabin next to this but am unsure whether this is where you hire the bikes or if it is tourist info center. Suggest you email tourist info at olden and they will be able to advise.

Hi Paula66

We stopped in Olden last June, and did a ship's tour to Lovatnet Lake and Kjenndalen Glacier (it was the one and only ship's tour we did on that cruise). It was a good trip and very beautiful.

If you go into the Ports of Call boards and search for Olden there are quite a few threads with useful info. This one might be handy for you: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2164738

My other tip is to get up early and out on the balcony / deck for the sail in. The fjord and port itself is so beautiful and peaceful early in the morning, we stood there for ages and took tons of photos!

Lovelyjubbly,

We hired bikes in Flaam from Cafe Ralleren at the station in Myrdal - http://caferallaren.no/en/sykkelutleie/

We were there mid-June and just bought a one-way train ticket, picked up the bikes in Myrdal and cycled back down. It was one of our favourite days, amazing! What I will say is that there was still snow on the ground in Myrdal and we had to go down to the next station to start the ride. That might be why bikes aren't available in May.

I would e-mail Cafe Ralleren, they were really helpful and will be able to tell you whether or not it's possible.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really excited about the whole thing. First time cruisers! I'm checking out the helpful sites for activities. If I confess I am a little nervous about going solo and missing the activity because we docked too late or even worse missing the ship on the way back. You never know Derbyshire Dolly I may see you on the lake cruise too.

It was our first cruise too Paula66 and wasn't quite sure what to expect. We only did the one ship's tour and organised the rest ourselves. We didn't have any problems or miss the ship!! It was a fab holiday. I did spend hours upon hours researching things though [emoji3] You will be fine and have a great time, I'm sure.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really excited about the whole thing. First time cruisers! I'm checking out the helpful sites for activities. If I confess I am a little nervous about going solo and missing the activity because we docked too late or even worse missing the ship on the way back. You never know Derbyshire Dolly I may see you on the lake cruise too.

We are first time cruisers too...you'll probably recognise us because amongst all the blasé people on their umpteenth cruise we will be the ones getting lost, gazing in admiration (or horror!) at the décor of the ship and generally looking like the new pupils at school;)