Please Help Me Convice My In Laws to go Cruising!

Kailuna

My sister went on a cruise with her first husband for their honeymoon. She had a horrible time and the marriage ended badly a few years later. Fast forward, and we are cruise junkies. DH and I booked B2B2B2B and asked her and husband #2 to come along. They finally agreed to come on ONE leg of the cruise. My sister said she had the best time she had ever had and wished they would have booked more legs of our cruise.

They have to decide when/if they are ready and don't pressure them!

Edited by N2Mischief

The best excuses I've heard when inviting others:

"It looks like a cattle call. People are herded from one location to another. No thanks."

"A boat in the middle of the ocean. There's nothing to do for that long."

"A cruise ship is a floating 'X marks the spot' for the terrorists to attack."

Thankfully, I asked my future wife if she liked cruising. I was scared to ask for awhile and kind of didn't want to know the answer. She told me, "at least 1 cruise a year. 2 if we can."

There's a time a place for everything. Force one or the other, and it could mess up the experience for all involved. Let it develop on its own time :)

"It looks like a cattle call. People are herded from one location to another. No thanks."

Thankfully, I asked my future wife if she liked cruising. I was scared to ask for awhile and kind of didn't want to know the answer. She told me, "at least 1 cruise a year. 2 if we can."

There's a time a place for everything. Force one or the other, and it could mess up the experience for all involved. Let it develop on its own time :)

Aren't you glad you got her viewpoint on cruising and now can look forward (hopefully) to one/two a year.

Congratulations and Happy Cruising.

I will just say that if my daughter in law kept trying to persuade me to participate in an activity in which I have no interest, it would be annoying and definitely put a strain on the relationship.

I fortunately have a great relationship with my mother in law. She seeks my advice and opinion on many things, including what cruising is like. The thing is, even after I've "talked it up" she's still hesitant. That being said, I was already leaning toward just letting it go, but I came here to see if anyone had anything else that might help. Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm just gonna go book another cruise just for the hubby and I now. :D

Wife that loves cruising? Winner! Question: Cruise for the honeymoon?

Unfortunately, much like getting a kid to "like" green veggies, you can't convince people of things unless they want to be.

Maybe, if you keep talking, and showing pictures/videos of the great times you're having onboard/in ports, you'll get them to at least give it a try on a short cruise. And then the seed is planted.

I was leaning toward this strategy before coming here to seek more advice. Thanks so much! Gonna just "plant the seed" , cross my fingers, and book another cruise for just my husband and I in the meantime :D

So I'm not a new cruiser. My husband and I LOVE CRUISES! We want to plan a family trip with his mom (50), his sister and her husband (both in their mid 20s), and their 2 kids (2 and 7). We know they would have an amazing time on a cruise because we've vacationed with them before and we think a cruise vacation would be perfect for them. One of their biggest hesitations is the feeling of being "stuck in the middle of the frickin' ocean". Any advice or any facts you guys can share to help us convince them?

You are making a mistake even trying to convince them to go. If they go and there is one problem you won't hear the end of the I told yous. Just because you think a cruise might be good for them this is not one of the things that you can press.