Cancun-Does It Even Exist?

cruzeluver

On my NCL cruise last year, our last port was to have been Cancun. However, the night before we were due to arrive our captain came over the p.a. and announced that due to the waters around Cancun being too low we would instead be spending an additional day at sea. Later I spoke with several crew members who said it was always a toss up whether the ship made it to Cancun or not.

Now I am the last one to complain about ports getting skipped. I understand a cruiseline cannot control the weather and wants to protect its crew, passengers and the ship. However, if Cancun is such a problem, why include it on the itinerary?

Anyone else headed to Cancun miss out? Is there really a place called Cancun?

:p

Last year on the Dream at Cancun, they had to cancel tendering for two hours because the seas became too rough. We almost did not get back on board. What totally pissed me off about the encounter was they were risking the passengers safety by tendering on the windward side of the ship instead of the leeward side. By using the leeward side, the ship would have blocked the wind and some of the wave action.

Dave

LOL, cruzeluver. Yes there is a Cancun but you can't get there by ship! ;)

If you want to visit the "real" Cancun, you need at least three days to see the minimum sights. Anything less than that would be a cheat. Take an air/land vacation to Cancun. You'll love it.

We are scheduled to sail to Cancun on the NCL Dream in February 2006. We were thinking of pre-booking a shore excursion for there. Is this a bad idea? Is it better to wait to book if and when we get there?

From the posts I've read it looks like only about 50% of sailings ever get to stop in Cancun. Our Sea cruise was able to stop but getting back on the ship from the tender was a nightmare - and our sailing was supposedly one of the better. I personally wouldn't prebook anything here unless it were 100% refundable or pay upon receipt. This is just too iffy of a stop.

We missed Cancun last April too due to "rough seas". We are scheduled this coming February to visit Cozumel again. We loved it on our last cruise!!! I hope and pray that damage is minimal, but it doesn't look good right now. :(

After what Wilma is doing to Cozumel and Cancun today and will do tomorrow, the original question on this thread, "Cancum, does it even exist", may be a very valid question. Watching the radar on the weather channel showing the eye and eyewall going right over Cozumel and the northern eyewall coming ashore south of Cancun, which will put the worse winds and the highest surges right into Cancun, I am very glad I'm not there today.

I would suspect it will be awhile before any cruise ships make stops there again after this hurricane.

Keep all those poor people who going through the hurricane as I type this in your thoughts and prayers.

I would suspect it will be awhile before any cruise ships make stops there again after this hurricane.

Keep all those poor people who going through the hurricane as I type this in your thoughts and prayers.

You know the first real relief that arrived into Grand Cayman last year was from the cruise ships full of supplies and not people. I hope they look after cancun and coz as well. Lord knows they have made money off of these places.

We're planning our honeymoon for Cancun. For what it's worth I've read from fellow brides-to-be that their TA's (and in some cases the resort themselves) are telling them that their honeymoon destination will reopen in 3 or 4 weeks. I've read this regarding 4 different resorts. One resort plans to reopen Oct 29.

Going by that, there may not be much left of Cancun, by they plan to put it back together pretty damned quick. :D

We've been to Cancun several times for a week's stay but this is our first to the Moon. We selected it because we are not big spa people & really just want to lay by the fabulous pools, eat, drink, party a bit & people watch!!! We have (even before Wilma) decided NOT to take the golf clubs on this trip too! Strictly a sun & fun week! :D

Not sure in what condition the Moon or Aventura Spa palace will be in but

when they are up and running they are "THE BEST" We are palace premier members and all I can say is I hope #1) everyone is ok and safe and #2) that any damage will be repaired ASAP cause these two are our favorites.

Stayed at both, love them both.

Well...............I obviously have no faith in the restoration crews of Mexico! :( I have cancelled Moon Palace & re-booked into Puerto Vallarta for the same week! I really feel with what I have seen, there is NO WAY they can restore resorts in 2 months! We will return next year! :) For now, we are going to Grand Velas in PV! :D

My niece & her boyfriend are in Cancun right now.....at least we THINK they're still there. No one has heard from them since Thursday morning. Sister-in-law said she found a website that is reporting all tourists there are safe & have shelter and food. Both have cell phones but we're assuming that there are no cell towers still standing and no 'land line' service either. Crossing my fingers! They aren't 'kids.' Both are 30 yrs. old but you still worry!!!

Archived