Fjords excursions

robanddiane

We are now looking at booking a couple of trips for our Fjords cruise. Some of the tours say a typical Norwegian buffet is included. Does anyone know what a typical Norwegian buffet consists of as I need to make sure there is something I like as worried about my diabetes if I don't eat anything.

If you order room service breakfast in the morning you can get things like croissants delivered. If you take a few self seal bags to pop them into you have a ready made emergency snack. I know this might sound a bit 'cheap' but I make cheese sandwiches from the room service if there is s trip. I have a food allergy and the trips never cater for this so 'needs must'....

Edited by Florry

We are now looking at booking a couple of trips for our Fjords cruise. Some of the tours say a typical Norwegian buffet is included. Does anyone know what a typical Norwegian buffet consists of as I need to make sure there is something I like as worried about my diabetes if I don't eat anything.

When our excursion (the Troll Road) included a buffet, there was a lot of cured and pickled fish, cold meats, whole hot smoked salmon, reindeer stew, another kind of stew, salads and vegetables. Desserts were a kind of yoghurty pudding, cloudberries and a cake.

All very tasty and plentiful, but spoiled for us by the fact it was 3.30 when we got there, so we were all long past feeling like lunch, having been on the coach from 08.30.

I am a diabetic and due to be on a Fjord cruise in July, following a thread I put on the Diabetic UK forum a number of people recommended 9 bars as a good reserve food source. They are available at most supermarkets or Holland and Barratt, I buy them in bulk from Amazon. I have used them on my travels last year and found them to be a handy top up. I apologise if you are already aware.

• 1 month later...

9 bars are great! I am also diabetic and recently discovered these. I showed one to my dietitian at hospital and he gave them the thumbs up!

We went on a Fjords cruise last May on Britannia. Whilst we did not do any organised tours I found the staff onboard really helpful when it came to eating. In the main restaurant they showed me the menu in advance (day before) so I could work out how much insulin to give. Also had a sharps bin the cabin too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For emergencies, take something from the breakfast buffet as medical supplies - eg. a ham roll and a bun.

Please......dont take any form of cooked meat ashore for later consumption. By the time you get to eat it at lunch time it will have warmed up lovely....and be full of nasty bugs! You dont want food poisoning do you?

Please......dont take any form of cooked meat ashore for later consumption. By the time you get to eat it at lunch time it will have warmed up lovely....and be full of nasty bugs! You dont want food poisoning do you?

:confused: I take a ham sandwich to work every day to eat for dinner (lunch). It doesn't give me food poisoning. How fast does meat go off in your neck of the woods?

Edited by dsrdsrdsr