Divina and kids

paceyswife

Almost set to book for next February! We just did NCL and our two boys,7 & 10, had such a great time and even enjoyed the limited time they spent in the kids club. (We did the Spirit so no bells, whistles or frills on small but beautiful ship).

In researching Divina, I haven't seen many reviews of the kids club or even if the ship is popular with family cruising.

I did find a couple posts that you have to be nine and older for the pool and slide... does anyone know if this is true? Seems a bit silly if so.

Any information regarding kids on Divina would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

No experience with NCL, but our kids (6YO twins) love the kids club on MSC. In fact, we had bigproblems getting them to stay in Camp Carnival but when they first went on MSC (Poesia) they stayed for up to a couple hours with no problem. (They did not give up problems after a couple hours, we just don't put them in camp for longer than a couple hours at a time.)

Twice on Divina so far and no complaints. In general we find MSC kids club to be far superior to Carnival. That said, we happened to hit Camp Ocean right after Carnival deployed it on one of the first ship (Freedom?) and the kids also loved that. I don't know how either compares to NCL though.

Either way, we've found that MSC does a great job.

Sorry, I don't know about the slide. We haven't ever used it, because it appears to be restricted access from the older kids or teen area. Apparently that isn't the case, so I'll chase it down mode doggedly this time. It is not an impressive water slide compared to what I've seen across various piers on NCL ships, and it ends in a chute rather than a pool, but still a water slide I guess... ;)

Sorry, I don't know about the slide. We haven't ever used it, because it appears to be restricted access from the older kids or teen area. Apparently that isn't the case, so I'll chase it down mode doggedly this time. It is not an impressive water slide compared to what I've seen across various piers on NCL ships, and it ends in a chute rather than a pool, but still a water slide I guess... ;)

Thanks!! I went ahead and booked. The kids are easy to please and even if they don't like kids club, they will enjoy the ship. I just hope that what I read about the age restriction for pool and slide isn't true as that will put a damper on it for my 8 yr old.

Thanks!! I went ahead and booked. The kids are easy to please and even if they don't like kids club, they will enjoy the ship. I just hope that what I read about the age restriction for pool and slide isn't true as that will put a damper on it for my 8 yr old.

I picked this quote up from this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2300031&highlight=water+slide

They have a height measure where you get your wrist bands. I cant remember what the height requirements were, but 48" sound about right.

Hope this helps

pete

Pete, you have quickly become my favorite person on this board. I have gained so much information from you... through my own questions or others! Thank you. The linked helped and hopefully the info given on Facebook was correct and I won't have a disappointed 8 year old!!

• Like 1

We have been on four NCL cruises with our now 11 year old (3 on the Spirit and one Pearl) as well as one HAL and Disney cruise. Next month we will be doing our first MSC trip, although on Fantasia not Divina.

I am happy to check out anything for you and report back the differences. Just let me know.

We have been on four NCL cruises with our now 11 year old (3 on the Spirit and one Pearl) as well as one HAL and Disney cruise. Next month we will be doing our first MSC trip, although on Fantasia not Divina.

I am happy to check out anything for you and report back the differences. Just let me know.

Thank you! We just came off the Spirit and the boys loved it and the brief amount of time they spent in kids club (though they liked it better than Disney's which totally shocked me)! I think now that I've solved the pool and slide issue, my only concern is evening dress for dinner with the boys. They wore dress shorts to the specialty and MDR with NCL and I am hoping acceptable on MSC.

Have a wonderful time on your trip!!

Thank you! We just came off the Spirit and the boys loved it and the brief amount of time they spent in kids club (though they liked it better than Disney's which totally shocked me)! I think now that I've solved the pool and slide issue, my only concern is evening dress for dinner with the boys. They wore dress shorts to the specialty and MDR with NCL and I am hoping acceptable on MSC.

My son didn't like th Disney either. Which I have tried to explain to numerous people but they find it hard to believe. I'll keep a look out for how the kids dress if your cruise is going out after April 5th.

My son didn't like th Disney either. Which I have tried to explain to numerous people but they find it hard to believe. I'll keep a look out for how the kids dress if your cruise is going out after April 5th.

LOL! My dearest friend looked at me like I had three heads when I told her my kids were unimpressed! Maybe an age thing?

Our cruise is next February (winter break) . I tried talking husband into August but I couldn't get him to budge from our annual Carolina beach vacay.

Again, thanks and enjoy!!

Edited by paceyswife

LOL! My dearest friend looked at me like I had three heads when I told her my kids were unimpressed! Maybe an age thing?

Our cruise is next February (winter break) . I tried talking husband into August but I couldn't get him to budge from our annual Carolina beach vacay.

Again, thanks and enjoy!!

With you on the Disney Cruise thing. I don't think we will do that again. I love my son but there were a zillion kids on that ship. We couldn't even get into the pool. They were elbow to elbow.

My son does better in the kids clubs with smaller crowds.

With you on the Disney Cruise thing. I don't think we will do that again. I love my son but there were a zillion kids on that ship. We couldn't even get into the pool. They were elbow to elbow.

My son does better in the kids clubs with smaller crowds.

I think that's why we liked NCL Spirit...kids club staff said under 100 kids and that was during winter break! I know Divina is much bigger but it will be a nice mix... not crammed with kids.

• 3 weeks later...

Potty trained kids can use the 'main' aqua park pool, as well as the Le Sirene just forward of there in the area with the sliding roof.

I would assume that kids booked in YC can use the YC pool also, though it looks pretty small on the deck maps. Like 12x12?

I believe that kids are not supposed to use the aft 'garden zen' pool, though I've seen kids in there more than once.

Potty trained kids can use the 'main' aqua park pool, as well as the Le Sirene just forward of there in the area with the sliding roof.

I would assume that kids booked in YC can use the YC pool also, though it looks pretty small on the deck maps. Like 12x12?

I believe that kids are not supposed to use the aft 'garden zen' pool, though I've seen kids in there more than once.

Yes, kids in YC may use both hot tubs and the pool. FYI there are usually very few kids in YC so it's never been a problem in my 6 times in YC. The kids have been very well behaved every cruise.

T I think now that I've solved the pool and slide issue, my only concern is evening dress for dinner with the boys. They wore dress shorts to the specialty and MDR with NCL and I am hoping acceptable on MSC.

I just debarked the Divina yesterday. As a spring break cruise, the ship had 700 children on board. The daily paper had a reminder that shorts were not acceptable for any meal in the dining rooms.

I was impressed at how well dressed the children were at dinner in the Dining Rooms. Boys wore suits on formal night and long pants and collared shirts on the more casual nights. The only shorts I saw on boys in the dining room were the short pants suits for young boys under 6 and infants.

Girls were equally well dressed with party dresses on formal nights and casual dresses on the more casual nights.

The better dressing also carried through with the adults. There were some tuxes and long gowns on Formal night (others wore suits and cocktail or dressy dresses). The more casual nights had women in pretty dresses or dress slacks and nice tops; men had on long pants and collared shirts.

There were a few that were more, ahem, casual, but they were pretty scarce and obviously were used to cruise lines that had abandoned all hope of any dress code at dinner.

OK the Divina was a very good family cruise but not a great family cruise. My kids always have a good time so that was not the issue. Kids club was good, they really liked the Lego stuff. The price was right. ;)

That said they much preferred some of the other ships we have gone on, ones from Carnival and NCL with water parks and rope courses and mini golf. they liked Carnival's kids clubs the best. with NCL and Royal close seconds.

My kids would go again on Divina but are much more interested in other ships. Seaside is on their radar as it seems to have the items they want.

Us adults want the kids to have fun and to have an economical good time.

As an adult oriented ship divina is top notch, like celebrity.

FWIW they had "less" fun on Celebrity than MSC and really had mixed reactions to Royal. Rock wall was ok, I did it once now what.

MSC Seaside on the other hand...come on 2018!

OK the Divina was a very good family cruise but not a great family cruise. My kids always have a good time so that was not the issue. Kids club was good, they really liked the Lego stuff. The price was right. ;)

That said they much preferred some of the other ships we have gone on, ones from Carnival and NCL with water parks and rope courses and mini golf. they liked Carnival's kids clubs the best. with NCL and Royal close seconds.

My kids would go again on Divina but are much more interested in other ships. Seaside is on their radar as it seems to have the items they want.

Us adults want the kids to have fun and to have an economical good time.

As an adult oriented ship divina is top notch, like celebrity.

FWIW they had "less" fun on Celebrity than MSC and really had mixed reactions to Royal. Rock wall was ok, I did it once now what.

MSC Seaside on the other hand...come on 2018!

Hi thank you for the review. Can you elaborate on the lego stuff? Wondering if it's jist legos on a tale or do they do activities centered around legos? Son is a huge fan lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So is my youngest, they had tables and blocks, they did have a lego character walk around once and my kids said they had had a special lego building competition. It was later in the week I believe.

Lego was a cool theme.

Cool propeganda

They will love the shows! I wish my kids had had the opportunity to see their shows! (way old now!)

I am sure with a collared shirt or golf shirt, they will look quite preppy!

I am sure with a collared shirt or golf shirt, they will look quite preppy!

I thought golf shirt or tailored Oxford with the dress shorts would be suitable but I suppose a couple pairs of khakis with some stain sticks will be packed!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back last night from our cruise and I thought I would come back and answer your questions as well as give our perspective on the Kids Club.

We found that kids were allowed to wear shorts and nice shirts even in the specialty restaurants. In fact, one night the waiter said our son had to change, as he just met us from the sports deck, and the maitre d came over and corrected him. He stated kids under 18 are allowed in shorts in all restaurants. Our son decided to run and change, as he felt he should wear pants if the waiter told him to but it wasn't necessary.

As for the kids club itself, our DS who is 11 years old didn't like it at all. He attended the 7-11 kids club the first night. They combined multiple activities with the 3-5 year old group, which my son thought was not fun. I don't blame him as there is a huge difference between 3 and 11. For example, they all went for food and gelato and they made all the kids walk in a line holding hands. Then they had a dance party with the same group (3-11), playing games that were appropriate for the little ones. Our DS likes all kids but wants to hang out with kids closer his age.

So we requested him to change to the 12-14 club, which was done. However, that club never had counselors around in the club room or during scheduled activities. Every time he visited the club there were only much older kids (the 15+ group) and he felt very unwelcome. We understand that tween kids are tough but there doesn't seem to be any effort to make them at home or welcome.

That being said, he loved the ship. The sports deck is awesome and open until late at night. There is room in the pools and the fantasia had two game rooms. I think that the tween age is something that MSC doesn't get well.

our 2 teens, wore shorts and nice shirts on casual nights to MDR, no problem, and they weren't alone. As far as teen activities, they loved pizza making - at Eataly, and T-Shirt making. - They enjoyed the virtual world arcade games, and just met a bunch of like age kids and found their own activities. The sports arena has stadium like seating and I would often find them up there. Movies under the stars with popcorn. They enjoyed the shows in theater as well, especially the Michael Jackson and the Mask.