Duty free shops in Noumea and Fiji?

Port Vila has always had the best prices for duty-free, but we miss out on that stop. Is there anything good in Noumea or one of the Fijian ports we visit (Suva, Port Denarau)in the way of perfume and spirits.

Would ship prices be similar to the latter ports?

Thanks in advance.

We were in Noumea 4 weeks ago on the Dawn Princess,

There is a duty-free shop just opposite the cruise terminal. It's called Madeleine's, and, depending what you're after (grog wise) the prices aren't too far off the duty-free in Vila.

Again, check the prices on board!

I tend to order early on in the cruise, as they might have an early discount deal, and if I find a better deal on shore (which is generally the case, but not always!) then I buy it on shore, and cancel my shipboard purchase. At least that way you have an option if what you may want is not available on shore.

Madeleine's only deliver to the ship tho' and their currency is the Pacific French Franc, with an exchange rate listed (4 weeks ago) of 85xpf to 1 Ozzie bleeder!

Hope this helps.

MP.

On a south Pacific cruise 3 years ago we found Noumea Duty Free to be the best. Fiji has been devastated so not sure what condition some of the shops would be in, so I would be inclined to check out the Duty Free shopping at Noumea.

Yes, Noumea Duty Free is good for d/f grog, but, like Madeleine's, may have limited stock.

It's not as handy to the cruise terminal, but still only a block or two back from it!

You can ask at the terminal for directions.

MP.

There is a duty-free shop just opposite the cruise terminal. It's called Madeleine's, and, depending what you're after (grog wise) the prices aren't too far off the duty-free in Vila.

Marlene? Or is there another duty free store we missed?

Thanks for that. I was also confused. Might email them to see if they are open on Sundays.

Anna i doubt very much they'll be open on sunday and its about 5 blocks from the terminal

Thanks for that. I was also confused. Might email them to see if they are open on Sundays.

Sorry to tell you Anna but just about everything is closed on Sunday's in Noumea. We've been there a few times, twice on Sundays so we booked excursions. Last time we went out to Labradee Island on the ferry. Fabulous resort with a pool and snorkelling and the best buffet lunch.

Hi Liz, was that a tour off the ship, or did you just wing it?

By the way, the Tjoubau (sp?) Centre may be open.

It's worth a visit. They'll be able to help you in the info centre (if it's open!), or Google.

Just keep in mind that the info centre is no longer in the cruise terminal, but in the City Central Park.

MP.

They used to be, but now moved to new location, almost directly opposite the cruise terminal.

MP.

They are still at their other location a few blocks up, they just moved their liquor to the one across from the cruise terminal. Their other store is mostly French perfume/handbags/cosmetics.

They are still at their other location a few blocks up, they just moved their liquor to the one across from the cruise terminal. Their other store is mostly French perfume/handbags/cosmetics.

Oh, OK. Sorry about that. I was only interested in d/f grog! :-)

MP.

On a south Pacific cruise 3 years ago we found Noumea Duty Free to be the best. Fiji has been devastated so not sure what condition some of the shops would be in, so I would be inclined to check out the Duty Free shopping at Noumea.

What do people tend to stock up on? Is it just alcohol or gifts too?

• 1 month later...

Duty free in Fiji is very expensive. I once priced 1 litre of vodka at Prouds and it was AUD$82.

Marlene's prices were not much more than at Vila, but their range and stock can be very limited. Their comment was that another ship had been in a couple of days earlier. That puzzled us, because we thought they would have a ship in every day or two.

Edited by Aus Traveller