Reasonably Priced Hotel near Canada Place Pier (Vancouver)

slyster

We will be arriving the day before so being near sightseeing isn't important to us. Probably convenience of being close to the pier and a hotel that may offer airport or even pier shuttle/transports.

We are looking to not spend more than around $150 (US), maybe up to $200 max. (end of June)

Can anyone offer some possibilities near the pier that may have a restaurant or two nearby? Thanks in advance.

Edited by slyster

We will be arriving the day before so being near sightseeing isn't important to us. Probably convenience of being close to the pier and a hotel that may offer airport or even pier shuttle/transports.

We are looking to not spend more than around $150 (US), maybe up to $200 max. (end of June)

Can anyone offer some possibilities near the pier that may have a restaurant or two nearby? Thanks in advance.

Some factual clarifications about Vancouver - there are no hotels downtown with shuttles from the airport. A few have a local drop-off shuttle, which can be used to get to the pier, but frankly it's better to budget $10 for a cab ride (hotels which offer a shuttle obviously charge more, they have a vehicle and driver to pay for!)

With our fallen currency, you can certainly find many hotels within a mile of the pier within your budget, but if you plan to just arrive, get to hotel, eat, then sleep I suggest an airport hotel - these all have free shuttles from YVR, and next morning you can use the one remaining private shuttle company to get to the pier for $15pp. For a couple or single, the only cheaper way is taking public transit - if you are 3+ people though, cabs from YVR itself are fixed price of $35 to the pier so shuttling back to YVR then taking a cab will save a few bucks.

If you do have some sightseeing time on day of arrival, then you do want to be downtown to maximise what you can see. As long as you have the energy for it, you'll have daylight until 9pm or even later in June so visiting things like Stanley Park is quite feasible.

Without an exact date to check rates, it's impossible to give specific hotels as the prices vary wildly by day of the week, number of ships etc. etc. etc. The best bargains downtown are either bidding sight unseen (any 4* hotel is definitely a good hotel in a good part of town, totally safe to bid on), a no-refund booking on a 3* (check map locations - personally I would recommend against Granville St hotels for noise as this is our official party zone with many bars & clubs open late), or the YWCA Hotel (which offers firm seasonal rates, no fluctuation based on demand like the rest, and a private double with en suite costs only CAD$138 per night even in peak season).

You cannot stay in any downtown hotel and NOT be within a couple of blocks of multiple restaurants, and even the airport hotels are usually close to malls and restaurants - though with a much higher ratio of Asian, especially Chinese, food in that neck of the woods.

Edited by martincath

Without an exact date to check rates, it's impossible to give specific hotels as the prices vary wildly by day of the week, number of ships etc. etc. etc
Agreed. The end of June is a Canadian and American long weekend this year. This causes a significant spike in hotel rates.

Please provide us date(s) for a better response.

Yep... that's ramping up to a long weekend and prices will be higher.

Some ideas from booking.com in USD

• $78 YWCA (a fav for some on the forums)
  • $148 Empire Landmark
  • $152 Metropolitan
  • $159 Day's Inn (3 blocks from pier, but check reviews on this budget accommodation).
  • $169 Rosedale (this place offers suites!)
  • $169 Blue Horizon (a budget fav on forums!) Good restaurant choices and about $10 cab fare to cruise terminal
  • $195 Holiday Inn
  • $205 Residence Inn Marriot

If you want to pay more on this day

• $250 Sutton Place
  • $252 Delta Suites
  • $280 Hampton Inn & Suites
  • $295 Auberge
  • $302 Sheraton Wall Centre
  • $309 Westin Bayshore
  • $345 Pan Pacific (you are sleeping above the cruise terminal)
  • $428 Fairmont Waterfront
  • $464 Fairmont Pacific Rim

With xlxo having run the numbers I won't repeat the exercise, but will concur that with July 1st/4th being Friday/Monday (and our dollar weak) it might be even busier than usual for hotels - though most US visitors will arrive on the weekend and stay through the week after to take advantage of the 'free' day off I'd still get something booked ASAP for Thurs 30th in case.

At those prices, I'd say the Met is the pick of the litter for couples; if you're a family then the Rosedale (it's a condo building turned hotel, so many larger options with kitchens to save a few bucks making your own brekky). BH at that price won't be a view room, but if Stanley Park is your #1 thing to do it's the best option for walking to there. If all you need is a safe, clean, downtown bed for the night though, the Y remains the best deal in the city by a long shot!

Thank you for your help! That's part of the reason we booked a cruise over the holiday. One more extra day. I'm hoping since it's just one night, Thursday, it won't be as much. I'll definitely check out the hotels you recommended.

Do any of them offer free airport shuttle or pier shuttle? I'm okay paying for a taxi or shuttle, just wondering if one might have the extra benefit we are looking for.

Do any of them offer free airport shuttle or pier shuttle? I'm okay paying for a taxi or shuttle, just wondering if one might have the extra benefit we are looking for.

Only the Hampton, on the 'more expensive' list, which has not a pier shuttle but a 'we will drop you anywhere downtown, as long as nobody else has booked it already at the time you want' shuttle. I'm a big fan of the Hampton chain in general, as they provide everything I want in a hotel and usually none of the stuff I don't want, but the downtown Vancouver one is unfortunately one of the ones that adds 'free' frills that jack up room rates for everyone (i.e. the shuttle)...

As I mentioned above, there are no hotels downtown with an airport shuttle - occasionally a 'cruise package' appears which refunds your cab fare (one of the BW hotels did this last year), but in every case if you add the regular room rate to the cab cost it ends up being cheaper to just do it yourself!!!