Does Brittania sometimes tender in Flam?

The Med

Hi everyone.

We are taking our first P and O cruise in June and also first time to the Norwegian Fiords.

I wanted to book the Flam railway but many of the trains have sold out already (probably to P and O) but there is still early morning or late afternoon departures.

I was under the impression that the train station was near to where the ships dock but on the P and O page where it gives the descripipion of the cruise it says "possible tender".

Under what circumstances might the Brittania tender in Flam?

Also if it is a tender would an hour be enough time to get from ship to train or from train to ship (depending on which train we decide to take).

I also cant seem to find the exact time of arrival and departure at Flam.

I did phone P and O and the lady said most probably arrive at 7.00am and depart at 6.00pm.

I am worried that if we book an early train and the ship arrives later then we wont have time to get to the train.

When do P and O let you know the exact times of arrival and dparture in ports?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I can't help with tender or not, sorry. Sometimes a decision isn't made till closer the time.

If it has been suggested by P & O that Britannia departs at 6pm you will have a back on board time at least half an hour or maybe even an hour if it is a tender port.

The train might be a no go independently this time, you may have to look at taking a P & O trip.

The train station is about a 5 mins walk! But just because the ship arrives at 7am doesn't mean anyone will be able to leave for possibly an hour while they do their checks. I'm sure when we went on Ventura it said "possible tender" but we did in fact dock.

If you are set on the train might be best to book the P&O trip I'm afraid.

I think there's only room for one ship to dock in Flam - certainly if one o fthe ships is as big as Britannia, anyway. So the berth would be sold to the highest bidder, I should think.

I went ashore by lifeboat last time I was there, with Cruises & Maritime. Costa had the berth.

Thank you.

There is a train at 8.35 and another at 14.50.

Might they be feasable?

Certainly wouldn't book the 8.35 one, in case it is a tender port. 14.50? up to you, what would you do for the rest of the day.With the later one you would be up the train, turn around ,come back, and hope you are still ok for the ship/tenders. Flam is not that big.Shops ,maybe a walk and that's it.

As others have said in this case I would go on an organised tour. I have seen the Norway in a nutshell tour mentioned loads of times, as a good one to do.

Someone on another thread has said that they have changed the itinery now.

We had decided to go on one of the ships tours.

I know that they can change itinerys but this is very disappointing. The Flam railway was one of the reasons that I booked the cruise.

We are on Britannia in July but they have cancelled Flam and replaced with Alesund..I know from other posts this has happened on other dates too. Must be worth you checking cruise personaliser for an update on Flam