Excursion from Crete to Santorini

Barricruiser

Hello

Can anyone share information with me about independent excursions from Crete to Santorini? We are going on a cruise in May that stops in Rhodes and we would love to see Santorini. It is not being offered by the cruise line. Thanks!

Can anyone share information with me about independent excursions from Crete to Santorini? We are going on a cruise in May that stops in Rhodes and we would love to see Santorini.

From Crete or from Rhodes?

Crete to Santorini:

"From Heraklion to Santorin

By Catamaran(passengers only, no cars) Hellenic Seaways-Flying Cat 4, in 1 hour and 45 minutes. Daily (except some Wednesdays). This is the fastest way. The catamaran leaves at 09:45 and returns at 19:25 (Summer only)"

http://www.cretetravel.com/travel_tips/ferries-2012-crete-to-from-santorini-thira/

Rhodes seems to be an 8 hr ferry ride (Blue Star Ferry), one way.

I really doubt that you can do a day trip from either port and still be back early enough to catch the ship, unless you over night in port. Crete might be doable if you find a better connection but I really doubt it's worth the stress.

Just a warning that doing that particular day trip really means one has to have a good Plan B in case you stuck on Santorini. Those ferries do get cancelled if the sea conditions are not conducive to safe travel. In fact, last your DD was vacationing on Crete and had booked the high speed ferry to Santorini (where they planning on spending a week). Their ferry actually left the dock on Crete and cruised for about 30 min....but had to turn back because of rough seas. DD grabbed a taxi to the airport (on Crete) and managed to get a flight to Santorini via Athens..(not cheap).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We did the Flying Cat one way this past Oct.

The seas can be rough, our trip was fine, but the schedules can also elongate because of the condition of the seas, the wind etc. Count on a half hour delta even in good weather. As I recall we paid a our 25e one way.

The ferry docks in a different area to the caldera where the cruise ships moor.

We would never do it. Too far, too many ifs. Plus Crete is a wonderful island. We have been there three times, usually for a week at a time and never get tired of it. It is a very different experience than Santorini.

Edited by iancal

Hello

Can anyone share information with me about independent excursions from Crete to Santorini? We are going on a cruise in May that stops in Rhodes and we would love to see Santorini. It is not being offered by the cruise line. Thanks!

I think the only way to do this excursion safely on a cruise is by way of a ships excursion. Otherwise I would not attempt this.