Need advice quick! Air on own?

FLfamilyof4

Here are our options:

Airfare through RCI for 4 from Fort Myers to Seatte or Vancouver (since it could be either if RCI books our flights) with return from Anchorage to Fort Myers Total cost = $3196

Book flights ourselves: (2 options)

RSW (Fort Myers) to SEA on day before our cruise $596 for 4

Anchorage to RSW afternnon of disembarkation $1316 for 4

TOTAL AIRFARE $1912 for 4

Savings of $1284 from the RCI price of $3196

But, will need for hotel and train or bus to Vancouver where ship departs

RSW to Vancouver on day before cruise $1152 for 4

Anchorage to RSW (same as above) $1316 for 4

TOTAL AIRFARE $2468 for 4

Savings of $768 from RCI price

Still need hotel in Vancover, transportation to ship

Obviously, there is money saved by booking flights ourselves, and we are being cautious by flying in the day before the cruise departs. The flight times for the flights listed above are desirable; or at least as desirable as they can be from all the way in Florida :rolleyes:

However do you think the savings offset the ground transfers etc. that RCI includes? I hate not knowing my itinerary until 30 days prior to sailing. We would pay $50 per person "deviation fee" but no guarantees on that anyway. But I hate overlooking any other possible benefit to paying the $3196 RCI price that I may not be aware of.

If we do book the flights ourselves, is Seattle or Vanouver a better choice and why? We like to travel and see it as an adventure. But admittedly, I am a bit of a control-freak and detailed oriented person when it comes to the trip planning part. Isn't that what these boards are all about? LOL! :) PLEASE help me out. :confused:

Thank you!

I think the price difference is enough booking on your own vs. cruise air to book on your own. Either way cruise air or not, you should fly in a day ahead (I don't know if you calculated the cost of a hotel room into cruise air as well). I would recommend flying directly into Vancouver. You've got enough savings to cover a hotel room and local transfers. Plus you eliminate any possible problems with transfers from Seattle up to Vancouver. Just make sure when you are booking your flights home from Anchorage to leave yourself plenty of time to transfer from the ship (Seward is a 3 hour drive from Anchorage).

I did not calculate a hotel room cost into the cruise air price. If RCI did fly us in the day before, which I understand they may, wouldn't they absorb that cost since they selected the flight? Our flight out of Anchorage departs at 5:20 pm local time so that should be sufficient, right? And I totally forgot about transportation to Anchorage from Seward, so thanks for that reminder. DUH! on my part:o

With cruise air, you're more likely to be placed on a red eye than have a forced overnight in Vancouver, so you'll need to consider that. Even if they do fly you in a day in advance, you might not like the hotel they choose for you.

And 5:20 should be fine out of Anchorage. There are a lot of different options for transport from Seward to Anchorage. You can pay for cruise line transfers or there is usually a shuttle service that is a lot less expensive. You might ask over on the Alaska board about transport options from Seward. No matter what, even if you go with cruiseline transfers, the cost of the transfers will still be less than the amount you are saving booking on your own.

Thanks for your valuable input, wrp96. I'll search or post on the Alaska boards for transportation from Seward to Anchorage. So far, I'm just glad to know you don't think it's crazy for us to book our own air. Guess many people do opt to book their own air. Is there any real advantage to paying all that extra money for airfare through RCI?

I like that I can present all the options I have (or at least the ones I think I have!) and get opinions from others. :)

I would book on your own air and save the money. You get the times and flights that you want.

Vancouver is a beautiful to see. If you fly into Vancouver, use Priceline and get your hotel through them. Bid under Downtown Vancouver. Check out Ports of Call - Canada, Alaska and Hotel they have all of great ideas.

We used the airporter shuttle bus (http://www.yvrairporter.com) $12pp one way to our hotel (through Priceline) which was on the airporter route.

There are tons of transfers available from SEA to YVR, although I don't know how expensive. It would really come down to what your flight schedule would be into either SEA or YVR. Does going to YVR involve another connection somewhere? I mean, if you were to sit in SEA waiting a couple hours for a flight into YVR, it would probably be easier to just take the bus. But if you can do RSW-YVR in 2 legs, like going to SEA, I would probably look at that more. (assuming of course, you have to connect somewhere from RSW-SEA).

Thank you phabric and DanJ. :) The flight into Vancouver has 2 connections; one in Atlanta and one in Seattle, with the layover in SEA being 1 hour and 38 minutes. We would arrive 2:50 pm local time. The flight to Seattle connects only in Atlanta, layover of 1 hour and 38 minutes (yes the same as above?!) with arrival into Seattle at 12:22 pm local time. The difference in cost between SEA and YVR is $556.

I've heard the train ride (Amtrak, I believe) from Seattle to Vancouver is scenic but wonder how much of a hassle it would be toting our luggage around from airport, to hotel, to train, to cruise ship:rolleyes:

I am pretty convinced that I will be booking our flights later today. I really appreciate all the feedback! :D

We need some help too-

This is option one:

Is there a train of some sort that we can take from SEA to YVR? We are flying into SEA but our cruise leaves from YVR. Can someone please help me out.

Here is option two (what we'd rather do):

We are flying in from JFK to SEA on Delta non-stop. We wanted to connect to an Alaska flight (they are partners) but can't do it unless we make 2 seperate reservations. The thing I want to know is will Delta be able to check us and our bags all the way through to YVR (after all, Delta and Alaska are parnters)?? Has anyone ever done anything like this before??

And we are coming in the day before too.

Thanks,

Joe

In your case Joe, I would look at Air Canada non-stop JFK-YVR. I just priced it out on July 11 returning July 19 at about $390 US round trip. Comparing Delta to SEA at around $320, or Delta to YVR at over $600 on the same dates, this sounds like a great idea. I don't know what your return date is, if your cruise ends in Alaska or comes back to Vancouver, but assuming it is in Van, the times work out great for you.

Anyway, the AC flight is AC549 JFK-YVR, and AC548 YVR-JFK.

Ok, Joe, so I just checked your cruise, and find it is only one way, northbound. Now, this could still work pretty good if you feel like spending a night in Vancouver after your cruise. Take what I said above, but change AC 548 to July 20. Add in AC537 from ANC-YVR at 215pm on cruise debarkation day. Total fare still comes in under $600.

I just checked Delta, and they can't get you home same day either. Anchorage to New York is an awful long way LOL.

Thanks for that! I didn't even know that AC had a non-stop from JFK to YVR. We will be doing what you posted, flying JFK-YVR on the 11th, than ANC-YVR on the 19th, and on the 20th we will do YVR-JFK!

Thanks for all of your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

I'd avoid Delta at all costs. The way they are changing around their schedule is shameful.

One negative about using custom air is you are not allowed to deal the airline itself when/if there are changes and/or problems. You have to go through your TA, who has to deal with X who has to deal with the airline. That's just too many people involved. I was able to do minor things, like pick my seats, directly. Remember too, your TA gets no $ for dealing with the air stuff, so they may be unmotivated.

Another negative is 'status' with the airline. I read somewhere on these boards, that if something goes wrong (flight cancelled, weather, etc.) you are basically last in line to be re-booked, because the cruiseline has such cheap seats.

Archived