Nile cruise on Cairo tour—anyone done it?

kreastman

We will be in Cairo on Sirena on June 17, and are looking at two ship's tours. Both have similar all-day itineraries. Classical Cairo visits the Antiquities Museum in the morning, stops for a buffet lunch, then continues to the Pyramids and Sphinx in the afternoon. Cairo & Cruising on the Nile River tour visits the Pyramids in the morning, followed by a lunch cruise on the Nile and the Museum in the afternoon. Both tours are listed as 13-1/2 hours; the Nile option costs $20 pp. extra. Any advice on which tour to take?

Of course, we have our fingers crossed that no international crisis intervenes and Sirena has to skip Cairo (and Alexandria).

We will be in Cairo on Sirena on June 17, and are looking at two ship's tours. Both have similar all-day itineraries. Classical Cairo visits the Antiquities Museum in the morning, stops for a buffet lunch, then continues to the Pyramids and Sphinx in the afternoon. Cairo & Cruising on the Nile River tour visits the Pyramids in the morning, followed by a lunch cruise on the Nile and the Museum in the afternoon. Both tours are listed as 13-1/2 hours; the Nile option costs $20 pp. extra. Any advice on which tour to take?

Of course, we have our fingers crossed that no international crisis intervenes and Sirena has to skip Cairo (and Alexandria).

The question is what you are going to miss if you go on the Nile. How long a tour is it? Problem with Cairo is that it takes about 3 hours to get there and does not leave a lot of time in the city. I think you must go with the ship as so many things could take place that if you were on a private tour you could miss the ship. When we were there about 5 or 6 years ago we were able to book thru the Oceania tour desk a small van for 6 people and then we able to customize our tour and could get a lot more in. Don't know if they still have that option. Hope you get there as Cairo is a wonderful city to see. :):)

While I have not been to Cairo via cruise ship, have been there a few times and concur with RJB's recommendations. If you can swing it, book one of O's cars or minibuses and customize your trip. The Nile is not particularly beautiful in Cairo for a cruise. Avoid, no RUN from, ANY tour that makes mention of a papyrus "institute" AKA huge tourist trap. Traffic in Cairo is horrendous which is going to cut into your touring time.

Our guides recommended going to the The Museum of Egyptian Antiquities on Tahrir Square as soon as it opened if you're interested in the Tut exhibits.

Go inside a pyramid at Giza if one is open and you're not claustrophobic plus the Khufu boat museum is interesting if you have time. The Citadel and Khan El Khalili are also great but just not enough time to see it all in one day.

Enjoy and safe travels.

Hola,

I have not done these tours so I can't give my two cents on their quality. I have spent 3 weeks in Egypt as a tourist and can offer up some suggestions based on what is important to you:

1. If you don't like the heat make sure to do the pyramids in the morning when it is cooler. It is crazy hot in the afternoon (something I love, something you may not love).

2. I predict many tourists will do pyramids first, museum in the afternoon due to the heat. So, if crowds, or lack of crowds, is important to you I would do the pyramids in the afternoon.

3. Cruising the Nile is just great! Truly worth the extra $20 to say that you did it. Both lunches will be the same (rice, chicken, salad).

The best value I saw on the website was the 6 person van. If you could get 6 people together and share the cost you would have the ability to see so much more (step pyramid, etc). Egypt is very inexpensive and you can get an Egyptologist for the day for almost nothing. Then your small group of 6 would get a very intimate look at a beautiful city.

Hola,

I have not done these tours so I can't give my two cents on their quality. I have spent 3 weeks in Egypt as a tourist and can offer up some suggestions based on what is important to you:

1. If you don't like the heat make sure to do the pyramids in the morning when it is cooler. It is crazy hot in the afternoon (something I love, something you may not love).

2. I predict many tourists will do pyramids first, museum in the afternoon due to the heat. So, if crowds, or lack of crowds, is important to you I would do the pyramids in the afternoon.

3. Cruising the Nile is just great! Truly worth the extra $20 to say that you did it. Both lunches will be the same (rice, chicken, salad).

The best value I saw on the website was the 6 person van. If you could get 6 people together and share the cost you would have the ability to see so much more (step pyramid, etc). Egypt is very inexpensive and you can get an Egyptologist for the day for almost nothing. Then your small group of 6 would get a very intimate look at a beautiful city.

Concur mostly. Have not been on the Nile I can not give any advise on that.