Snorkeling Greek Islands

I have the same question! I have been trying to get info on snorkeling in Santorini and Mykonos for a while, but didn't find anything. So, I can't really help; all I can do is bump your question up!

Camelia,

This is the second time I've asked this question and I've never gotten an answer. It must not be a popular thing to do which is surprising because the water looks gorgeous.

When will you be there? I'm on the Celebrity Galaxy May 31st sailing for 11 nights.

Thanks for the bump!

Lynn

Since nobody seems to want to give you folks an answer, I will try. We have explored many of the Greek Islands in both the Cylades (Sanortini, Mykonos) and the Ionian (Corfu) which is our favorite. We are also avid snorklers and have done are share of SCUBA. I am not aware of any good snorkling in Santorini or Mykonos. It might be there, but its not well known and its hard to imagine anything to compare to the Caribbean or keys. The problem is that there is little to no coral. Santorini does have a few half decent beaches, but nothing to compare to what we have in the US and Caribbean (this is true for most of Europe). Mykonos does have some fine beaches (often very crowded) but I have never seen anything worthy of snorkling. Perhaps somebody will tell me I am wrong, but after many trips to these islands I always leave my snorkle gear home.

Hank

Thanks Hlitner! I think I'll do as you suggested and leave the S gear home for this cruise.

Lynn: we are also on the Galaxy, but on the June 21st sailing. If you happen to discover secret snorkeling spots in any of the islands, please post again!

Have a great cruise! I am jealous you're leaving in just a few days!

Veronique

I learnt to snorkle off the north coast of Corfu and also around Levkas. Apart from the thrill of just gliding weightlessly through the water - there is nothing to see. All the islands are fished out, and the few fish you see are brown (not tropical). And as a previous reply said - no coral. leave your snorkel gear at home!

In 2000 we understood that you were not allowed to scuba off the coast of Santorini without government permission. I believe it is because of all the artifacts they are discovering.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

Hank, thanks so much for the heads up on snorkeling. I live in Florida so I've probably done some of the best snorkeling there is -- Pennekamp park in Key Largo is pretty awesome. I'll just visit the beaches in Greece instead!

Veronique, enjoy your cruise. We are so excited to be leaving in just over a week.

Thanks ~

Lynn

Lynn, I agree that Key Largo is great! And so are many of the beaches in FL. You are in for a real treat on your cruise. I suggest you "drown your sorrows," regarding lack of good snorkeling, with some excellent European wine or beer (somebody has to do it!). Have a great trip.

Hank

Lynn, You are in for a treat. We love the Greek Islands (have only been to about 15 so far) and envy the folks that can spend their entire summer in their boats in the Ionian Islands (cruise ships do not go there except for a few that stop in Corfu). This region has long been one of our favorite places on earth.

Hank

Hank,

Makes me wish we'd be staying longer than the cruise allows. However, an excuse to go back again is okay too! I don't know a lot about the Greek Islands and had no idea there are so many. I am so looking forward to the experience.

Do you have another cruise planned for the future?

Lynn

Archived