Debarkment in Galveston

nikblondiew

Is your flight departing from Houston Hobby Airport? Or Intercontinental Airport? Assuming no unusual traffic problems on I-45, the commute from Galveston to Hobby is 45-60 minutes; the commute from Galveston to Intercontinental is at least 90 minutes and could be 2 hours.

The Conquest's departure from Galveston this past weekend (October 9) was delayed. Something was amiss with the ship, crew or passengers clearing either US Customs or US Immigration when the ship arrived this past Sunday. I was in downtown Galveston on Sunday and heard all of the "apology" announcements over the ship's loudspeakers. Debarkation did not even commence until sometime between 10:30am-11:00am. Passengers were still leaving the ship after 1:00pm.

This may have been an unusual situation that only affected the Conquest. The Rhapsody of the Seas, docked immediately astern of the Conquest, did not appear to be experiencing any delays. All the streets ariound the pier were lined with waiting busses to the airports for the Carnival passengers. The bus drivers did not seem to have an explanation. Perhaps someone who was on the October 2-9 cruise can post their experience on this board. I was just an observer from the shore. It was apparent that many people were going to miss their early afternoon flights since it appears that the ship was not cleared until very late in the morning.

If your air was booked through Carnival, I am certain that the ship line would make any necessary flight changes for you due to a delay. If you have booked your own air arrangements, you may be on your own, in order to accommodate a delayed arrival or regulatory procedure.

When we sailed on the Grand Princess from Galveston last December, all passengers were off the ship before 11:00am.

I was on the Elation, Oct 3-8th sailing.

It took us 3 hours to debark, most of that time spent sitting in the Promenade Deck.

We were told that the hold-up was in the terminal...and not the fault of Carnival.

It sucked...whomever was at fault.

This is the second bad debarkation experience I've had out of Galveston on Carnival...but it's my closest port, so I'll suffer through it!

This sounds very unusual. 4 Carnival cruises and we have never been off later than 9:30 or 10 in Miami, Tampa, NY, or Port Canaveral. There had to have been some unexpected trouble. I guess I will find out October 30 when we get off in Galveston.

This was my ninth cruise...my fifth out of Galveston...my second bad debarkation experience after a wonderful Carnival cruise.

I am fortunate to be able to merely be inconvienenced by a long wait to debark...no flight to catch!

I was on the ship last week (Oct 2-9), and did "self assist". I was off by 9:00 and to IAH airport by 10:45. I was lucky enough to get off (they let self assist passengers go first) before the trouble (whatever it was...some say drugs were found in a passenger's luggage) started so I wasn't delayed.

could you please tell me about self assist debarkation. sounds like it might be the way to go if galveston has such problems. we are on the 2/19/06 conquest and i am sure this is the busiest week of the year. thanks alot.

Archived