Public transportation

renata102

I will be on the NCL GEM

So me and the kiddies have travelled around different parts of the world and used public transportation often (metros in Paris, trains and busses in Poland and England, local micro and mini busses that the locals use deep in the mountains of cusco Peru ). I saw a great bus system schedule. I was wondering if anyone has ever used it ? It's pretty much 75 cents exact change per person each way. I am assuming ocean park or isle verde is where I want to go. How long did it take?

Traveling by bus from Old San Juan & Cruise Piers, Puerto Rico

to San Juan International Airport – take bus 5 or 53 east to Isla Verde and transfer to bus 40 or 50 going to the airport. Due to the transfer, the regular tourist rate will be $1.50 (75¢ x 2).

to/from Ocean Park or Isla Verde – take bus 5 or 53 (75¢).

to Condado, the Pan American Pier, Puerto Rico Convention Center, or Isla Grande Airport – take bus 21 or 53 east (75¢).

to Miramar – take bus 5 east (75¢) or the Metrobus Express (50¢).

Also anyone with experience using free tourist trolleys?

• 5 months later...

Renata102 you information is no longer accurate, bus routes were reconfigured since August 2015, use google map-public transportation to plan your trip during your stay, the official gov www with updated routes for buses train and ferry: https://ati.pr/en/routes-and-maps/

Due to Gov financial crisis service was cut on Sunday.

Rate is 75 cents, coins only no bills no change. Tourist routes T5 & D53 loop the airport with OSJ without transfers.

I have seen lot of tourists in these routes going back and forth from OSJ to Condado and Isla Verde hotel/beaches as well as local youngsters with surfing tables and beach coolers on the buses.

Cons=local regulation does not allow big luggage on buses, only small carry on's (to favor taxi unions $$) Pros= drivers are flexible sometimes so give it a try to save some $$$