Ncl Dawn Specialty Eateries

MILEMRKR63

It might sound bizarre, but when I reserve at Le Bistro, I specifically ask for one of the tables at the wine cellar (which are right outside the entrance of the restaurant). Its really nice since its right beside the grand piano.

GusX

We sat out near the wine cellar as well, it felt like we were the only ones at dinner. The piano music was a nice accompaniment to dinner.

johnql: those lobsters at Cagney's on the Dawn looked a lot bigger than the Nova Scotia variety!! :D We didn't have lobster last year, but we will SURE HAVE it this year! We could see the kitchen from where we sat, and those lobsters were huge!! Anyone that had the lobster in Cagney's care to chime in? Maybe we were just awed to see whole lobsters??::confused:

Welove2cruise2, you could be right about the lobsters. I was just relaying the description that's in my souvenir menu. When I ate at Cagney's, I didn't order the lobster, so I can't comment on what they looked like.

Can you get seconds of an item if you wish? Say, a second order of shrimp coctail? Or, lobster tail?

I know other cruise lines we have been on honor your request.

In the specialty restaurants, you can definitely get seconds of side dishes (appetizers, soups, etc.) but I'm not sure about an entree. In the main dining rooms, multiple entrees are not a problem.

Someone was nice enough on these boards to post the website for the specialty restaurant menus. I was very surprised to learn the Cagneys has a $17.50 surcharge, and if you want the featured special it is $25.00 per person surcharge. LeBistro is $12.50. Does anyone else think this is a little steep? I originally heard most pay restaurants were $10 per person. What happened?

The website is http://www.cruisingreview.com/6204041901.html

Another question, are the specialty restaurants open for breakfast and lunch, and do they charge a surcharge? If so, how much?

Most of the specialty restaurants do not open for breakfast and lunch. Definitely not breakfast. Occasionally, on sea days, a couple might open for lunch.

Our best time was at Bamboo. It started out as 2couples wanting sushi and ended up with 9 couples having a great time. The menu variety of different Asian cuisines is excellent.

Cagney's is pretty good. The Mexican Restaurant was okay but not spectacular.

My only negative comment is that "freestyle" is a bit misleading. A few men got caught "with their pants down" when they tried to enter these places wearing shorts and/or t-shirts. You have to dress up to a business casual standard. No shorts or t-shirts allowed at any of the alternate dining venues, except the cafe on Deck 12 or the Blue Lagoon off deck 7.

Despite what they advertise, there is a standard of dress is most places. Farmer Coveralls, cut offs or jeans don't cut it.

ON the other hand, there were a lot of women totally overdressed most of the time. What's with the stiletto heels and glitter at 2 in the afternoon???

My only negative comment is that "freestyle" is a bit misleading. A few men got caught "with their pants down" when they tried to enter these places wearing shorts and/or t-shirts. You have to dress up to a business casual standard. No shorts or t-shirts allowed at any of the alternate dining venues, except the cafe on Deck 12 or the Blue Lagoon off deck 7.

Despite what they advertise, there is a standard of dress is most places. Farmer Coveralls, cut offs or jeans don't cut it.

You're absolutely right that there is a minimal dress code. But it IS very well publicized in all of their brochures and on the NCL web site. I don't feel anyone should be surprised by this. NCL's marketing of Freestyle cruising, to me, is not misleading. I'm not sure what ads you have in mind, but they make it quite clear that there IS a dress code. Here's the official wording from their web site, and I'm certain that there is something comparable in their brochures:

"Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues.

"Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc."

• 2 weeks later...

I personally read the brochures and fully-understood the parameters, but a couple of people in our group apparently thought that the rules didn't apply to them. They were indignant, but went back and changed anyway I think that a lot of people might be mislead particularly if they aren't big on comprehension. I say this because on some other cruises, I wondered why some customers felt that denim farmer coveralls and a tractor ball cap would be considered appropriate cruise attire. Maybe they WERE farmers and that's all they had. Oh well - it takes all kinds and cruising is obviously not reserved just for sophisticated people anymore. I hope that doesn't sound snobby - just an observation about the changing demographic of people who cruise for a vacation.

I'm just happy to hear that NCL is enforcing the dress code. In regards to the original poster's question, why not try them all? The only one I didn't like was Salsa. Also, saw you were from East Port. Come say hi to us at Aspatuck in Westhampton Beach sometime.

I am very pleased to hear NCL is enforcing the dress code. I was a little leary after booking this cruise that there are many people who prefer to dress down. I enjoy dressing nicely on vacation and don't want to stick out like a sore thumb if I am dressed up. To me cruising is special.

ChriConnelly, We live right near Aspatuk, just east of North Bay Ave. We'll stop in and let you know how our 11/10/05 cruise on the Dawn was. Going in less than 48 hours.

Archived