Upsell Fairy has visited me!

So, just opened up my e-mail to find the Upsell Fairy has contacted me for our April 9th Escape Cruise. $1000 upgrade per person to Haven Courtyard Suite all the way up to the Grand Haven Suite (or whatever it's called) for $2000 more per person. We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids so we won't be taking this particular upgrade, but do you think if I called I might get another upgrade more suitable to my family? We are currently booked in a family mini suite on deck 10. Seems there may be other upgrades available based on the e-mail, but this is all new to me so that's why I ask.

Only 32 days to go!!! Getting excited!

So, just opened up my e-mail to find the Upsell Fairy has contacted me for our April 9th Escape Cruise. $1000 upgrade per person to Haven Courtyard Suite all the way up to the Grand Haven Suite (or whatever it's called) for $2000 more per person. We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids so we won't be taking this particular upgrade, but do you think if I called I might get another upgrade more suitable to my family? We are currently booked in a family mini suite on deck 10. Seems there may be other upgrades available based on the e-mail, but this is all new to me so that's why I ask.

Call! It's always worth a shot!

Interesting.

I am on the same sailing and on Friday when I called, they told me no upsells until 1 week prior.

I called on my upsell email, turned down all the offers and less than 2 weeks later got another email with the suite I had wanted decreasing from $1000/pp to $800/pp (family of 3, only charged for first two passengers). I accepted the 2nd upsell. :) This is for 3/27 Star, the emails arrived at about 28 and 20 days out...

Edited by baxter44

And why would they offer an upsell to a Haven Courtyard suite, which only holds 3 people to a family of four? I'm guessing their computer sprayed out emails to all the cabin categories they want to move people from.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

And why would they offer an upsell to a Haven Courtyard suite, which only holds 3 people to a family of four? I'm guessing their computer sprayed out emails to all the cabin categories they want to move people from.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I know, right? Plus my kids are 6 & 9 so not old enough anyway for Haven. The email was pretty generic...it had all the Haven categories listed and the amount per person that I could upgrade for, but it tells me they're still trying to fill the ship and maybe a good deal is still to be had. Of course, we got kids sail free and the pick 2 at sea promo, so not sure how much I'm willing to give up to get a nicer cabin. We shall see.

I called on my upsell email, turned down all the offers and less than 2 weeks later got another email with the suite I had wanted decreasing from $1000/pp to $800/pp (family of 3, only charged for first two passengers). I accepted the 2nd upsell. :) This is for 3/What27 Star, the emails arrived at about 28 and 20 days out...

We're 33 days out and originally booked with kids sail free, so would I then only pay for the first 2 people in the cabin on upgrades, as well? What would be considered a desirable upgrade from a family mini? A higher category? A Junior Suite? Sorry for all the questions, I'm kind of new to this. lol

We're 33 days out and originally booked with kids sail free, so would I then only pay for the first 2 people in the cabin on upgrades, as well? What would be considered a desirable upgrade from a family mini? A higher category? A Junior Suite? Sorry for all the questions, I'm kind of new to this. lol

It is my understanding the upsell pricing is for the first 2 persons per cabin.

Upsells are charged based on double occupancy, so just first 2 are charged for, even if you didn't have kids sail free. I originally had a mini-suite with balcony so I was looking for a full suite category, ended up with aft large-balcony penthouse. It just depends on how much sq footage you want/need, whether the suite perks are worth it to you. I feel like I'd never be able to afford this particular cruise with my kids without the upsell situation, so it's kind of a "once in a lifetime" mindset for me. Happy sailing!

I know, right? Plus my kids are 6 & 9 so not old enough anyway for Haven. The email was pretty generic...it had all the Haven categories listed and the amount per person that I could upgrade for, but it tells me they're still trying to fill the ship and maybe a good deal is still to be had. Of course, we got kids sail free and the pick 2 at sea promo, so not sure how much I'm willing to give up to get a nicer cabin. We shall see.

What do you mean your kids aren't old enough for the Haven? Haven is not adults only. Kids are allowed in the Haven.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hmm, does this mean we should call earlier than 14 days or it's just getting people shuffled up the room ladder to make space for lower level upgrades at the 14 day point?

This is what I believe. In order to make room for the insides to move up, they need to move the balconies and mini suites up to the Suites/Haven.

Upsells are per two people per cabin. You carry your previous perks over from your previous bookings. i.e. you will not get four perks for an upsell unless you were already getting them prior to the upsell. Since I previously had the free DSC promo they did comp me for the difference in Suite DSC and regular DSC.

This has held true both for the upsell fairy last June and the self initiated upsell I have this month.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find out that because I had pre-paid the service charges, I was grandfathered in with the rate for a non-suite category. The charges are higher per day for suite category so I didn't get hit for those when taking the upsell. Something to consider when upgrading to higher category, prepay your service charges!

I was also pleasantly surprised to find out that because I had pre-paid the service charges, I was grandfathered in with the rate for a non-suite category. The charges are higher per day for suite category so I didn't get hit for those when taking the upsell. Something to consider when upgrading to higher category, prepay your service charges!

WOW, good to know. I too paid my service charge and received an upsell to the Haven. I was wondering how that worked and if they were just going to charge me the difference while on board. I may have just received another little bonus. Thanks for the info.