Distilled water for cpap

joyce&bob

CPAP Machines

Carnival Cruise Line permits guest who use BIPAP, CPAP, Concentrator, and Nebulizers onboard.

You must bring your own equipment onboard for personal use. Please hand-carry these items and do not place them in your checked luggage. There is one electrical outlet in each stateroom located in the area of the desk/vanity. The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style). It is recommended that you bring your own extension cord to accommodate your equipment comfortably.

Carnival Cruise Line carries distilled water which is available by contacting Room Service once onboard. The cost is $3.00 USD per gallon.

If traveling by air, please check with the airline directly for their restrictions regarding traveling with medical equipment.

Distilled Water

Guests may bring on board distilled water for use with a CPAP machine or nursery water for families with babies and packed in carry-on luggage.Distilled water may also be purchased onboard at $3.00 USD per gallon by contacting Room Service. The CPAP machine must be packed in carry-on luggage.

Just my two cents.. I have never purchased the distilled water on-board or carried my own on-board. I have just always used the water out of the tap in the bathroom. Again, just relaying what I do, not pro or con on the distilled while travelling.

Just my two cents.. I have never purchased the distilled water on-board or carried my own on-board. I have just always used the water out of the tap in the bathroom. Again, just relaying what I do, not pro or con on the distilled while travelling.

I use the ship's water as well. The process Carnival uses makes the water just as good or better than distilled.

Beats carrying it on or paying for water that you use very little of.

Never had a problem.

I have used a CPAP machine for many years and I gave up on using distilled water a long time ago. Distilled is recommended so mineral deposits don't build up. I may be a lucky one since I have insurance that allows me to change out my humidifier chamber tank every six months. I realize that may not be the same for everyone. Using tap or bottled water for just a few nights while cruising shouldn't be a problem. Like I said, I've been using tap water for years in mine.

Just back from 14 day cruise on Carnival Conquest and used water from the tap for my CPAP machine everyday with no issues. Absolutely no mineral build up at all. If I use tap water from home I have build up within 2 days of use so I do use distilled at home. However, traveled on the Carnival Pride several times in the past 2 years and at times the water from the taps was brown and I used regular bottled water rather than risk breathing in any of the rust or other contamination that was in the tap water.

We just booked on the Glory and they during the booking process they inquired about any special needs. At that point I asked about my husband bringing his CPAP and at that time they offered to have distilled water delivered to our room, but we declined as my husband never uses the humidification feature of his CPAP. I was more concerned about having a plug in close enough to the bed. They recommend bringing an extension cord.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I always carry those small 10oz bottles with me even when I fly. TSA told me it is ok because it is for medical device. When I go thru security line they always say I can't have it but I tell them TSA said it is approved they check it and say ok. they are small and fit in the cpap case and are every easy to pack you find them in a pack of 12

I usually leave my humidifier reservoir at home when I cruise and just use the CPAP without it. Works fine and I really can't tell the difference.

This year will be the first with my new machine. I don't thing leaving the humidifier home is an option on this one, so I'll use tap water.

Any guesses to how long an extension cord to bring? On Royal Caribbean, they provided me with one (and distilled water) for no extra charge.

For me, I have an reservoir that I keep an use for these types of trips, where distilled water is not always available. I also bring old nasal pillows and hoses that I can get rid of, so I don't have to pack it back.

-F-

This thread has been very helpful. I am expecting to have a cpap by the time we cruise so was curious what others have done and good to know to pack in carry on as well. Thanks for all the information everyone!

I would suggest contacting Carnival's Special Needs department. On one of my Carnival cruises, room service was out of distilled water. I mentioned it to my cabin steward and he had a gallon in the room in about 10 minutes. There was a $2 or $3 charge for the water but that is normal.

Using bottled water will be fine for a week or so.

There was a time I would have said to just use the ship's water but a few experiences with ships water that was discolored and had an odor has changed that recommendation. It's fine to drink but not for a CPAP. The ships were Carnival Pride, Norwegian Jewel and Celebrity Constellation.

Take care,

Mike

I would suggest contacting Carnival's Special Needs department. On one of my Carnival cruises, room service was out of distilled water. I mentioned it to my cabin steward and he had a gallon in the room in about 10 minutes. There was a $2 or $3 charge for the water but that is normal.

Using bottled water will be fine for a week or so.

There was a time I would have said to just use the ship's water but a few experiences with ships water that was discolored and had an odor has changed that recommendation. It's fine to drink but not for a CPAP. The ships were Carnival Pride, Norwegian Jewel and Celebrity Constellation.

Take care,

Mike

Appreciate your input and sure glad I glanced at this thread despite the fact that I am not sailing on CCL anytime soon. Will be on the Celebrity Constellation though this Saturday. Thank you

Edited by Fighterone

My husband took his own CPAP water, in a bottle labeled CPAP WATER., in January. We brought it to securities attention and they took it from us, as if it was regular bottled water. Then when we explained they gave it back. So hopefully we can do the same on our upcoming cruises in May and June.

I always fly with a small bottle of distilled water when I go thru security line they always try to take it but i tell them TSA has approved it because it is for a medical device. they will test it but I have never had it taken away. I called TSA and they explained it is approved. I carry it in the cpap bag with me

I find it fascinating how differently the several cruise lines handle the same situation.

Reading the above, Carnival advises you to bring your own extension cord and to buy Distilled water from the ship for $3.00 / gal. (Retail value near me $0.99)

When we were on Celebrity last month they said if we brought our own extension cord it would be confiscated as a safety risk! So they provided a "safe" extension cord. They also provided a gallon of Distilled water at no cost.

That being said, if they hadn't provided the distilled water gratis, I would have just used the tap water for 10 days. Also, looking at their extension cord compared to the one I would have brought...mine is in much better condition, of thicker gauge wire!

Edited by K&RCurt

It's absolutely not a problem to use regular bottled water in a CPAP machine for a week. I can never find small bottles of distilled water, and I'm not about to lug a gallon with me when I go out of town, especially if I have to fly. Just make sure you empty and rinse your tank each night, and put it upside down so the water can drip out. Not keeping water in the tank will help keep mineral deposits to a minimum.

When we cruised on the Dream, I had called the Special Needs department and pre-ordered ($3.00) a gallon of distilled water for my husband's cpap. (We had carried in on previously.) I will NEVER do that again. We did get the distilled water late on the first day after calling guest services twice, but then we got numerous (at least twice a day) phone calls from the Special Needs department asking about his CPAP. Was he using it? Was it working ok? Has he had any problems? Does he need any more water? Etc., Etc. It was very annoying. He told them that it was fine and that they didn't need to check on it again with the phone calls, but they did not stop calling.

Edited by suzycruiser2

i always use those 10oz bottles i get at the store they fit in the cpap bag and TSA approves them security always say cant have them but when i say TSA approved they test and all is ok they are very small and fit in your cpap bag