Pirate Night on Valentine's Day 2017?

godawgs2012

Hello All:

We are booked on the Feb. 12, 2017 sailing of the Magic out of Miami. My wife and I wanted to try and go to Palo on Valentine's day, but it's the third night of the cruise, which from my understanding should coordinate with Pirate's Night. Any chance they change Pirate's night for this sailing since I imagine a lot of people will want to do something special that night?

Thanks!

Hello All:

We are booked on the Feb. 12, 2017 sailing of the Magic out of Miami. My wife and I wanted to try and go to Palo on Valentine's day, but it's the third night of the cruise, which from my understanding should coordinate with Pirate's Night. Any chance they change Pirate's night for this sailing since I imagine a lot of people will want to do something special that night?

Thanks!

Best answer from anyone here - maybe. It's up to DCL whether they will change the night.

Best answer from anyone here - maybe. It's up to DCL whether they will change the night.

Thank you! I figured it will be up to DCL but I was hoping someone had run into this situation (although I know it's unlikely). Thanks for the info though!

It is likely that they will separate Valentine's Day from Pirate night because in the past they have had some minimal special things for V day. Having both on the same night would be a mess. Past things have included a flower for the ladies at dinner or heart shaped candies on the plates at dinner....don't fit well with Pirates.

Book your Palo ASAP. You can always change it when you see the plans for the entire voyage.

Unfortunately this is our first Disney cruise so I'm preparing not to be able to get the reservation - we can't book until November. But, in case we can, I wanted to know.

If you can't get what you want (day, time), book whatever is available and change it after boarding. The Palo manager will work with you as much as he can to move the reservation to something that suits you. They are much more cooperative with moving a reservation (thus freeing up your original ressie for someone else) than trying to make a ressie from scratch. At least that has been our experience.

If you can't get what you want (day' date=' time), book whatever is available and change it after boarding. The Palo manager will work with you as much as he can to move the reservation to something that suits you. They are much more cooperative with moving a reservation (thus freeing up your original ressie for someone else) than trying to make a ressie from scratch. At least that has been our experience.[/quote']

That is great to know! Thank you for that tip. Love reading things like this!

That is great to know! Thank you for that tip. Love reading things like this!

Our favorite Palo server on the Magic is Andreja (Andrea) from Croatia. Can't say if she will be on board at the time of your cruise, but we always ask for her.

It is likely that they will separate Valentine's Day from Pirate night because in the past they have had some minimal special things for V day. Having both on the same night would be a mess. Past things have included a flower for the ladies at dinner or heart shaped candies on the plates at dinner....don't fit well with Pirates.

I defer to your greater experience on this particular issue, but my hunch is that they probably wouldn't make any changes.

We sailed over V-day two years ago and, as you noted, other than the flower and some chocolates at dinner, there were no special activities or other recognition of the day, during the evening.

There were a few special presentations during the day (I remember the Master Chocolatier from ? company being onboard and doing a demonstration and tasting), but nothing special at night.

Either way, the good news is that the plans will be posted on the DCL web site. You'll be able to view it at the time of your on line check in. There is a page which will show everything you have booked as well as selected on board activities (usually pirate party and sail away party).

However, remember that anything scheduled is subject to change due to weather, ship issues, etc. Nothing on board is totally firm till it happens.

I've been on a ship on Valentine's Day for the past two years in a row. Pirate nights landed on Valentine's Day both days. Last year we were on the Dream and the only acknowledgement of V-day was a few little hearts on the Navigators (that's all I noticed) and this year we were on a 5-day Wonder trip got little hearts on the Navigators AND a card in our stateroom that said "The Captain, Officers and Crew wish you a HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY 2016 - Disney Cruise Line" and we had the swan heart towel guys. But if it weren't for that, I would have completely forgotten that it was Valentine's day... (both years). We even went to Palo the first year and there was no acknowledgement of Valentine's day...

I've been on a ship on Valentine's Day for the past two years in a row. Pirate nights landed on Valentine's Day both days. Last year we were on the Dream and the only acknowledgement of V-day was a few little hearts on the Navigators (that's all I noticed) and this year we were on a 5-day Wonder trip got little hearts on the Navigators AND a card in our stateroom that said "The Captain, Officers and Crew wish you a HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY 2016 - Disney Cruise Line" and we had the swan heart towel guys. But if it weren't for that, I would have completely forgotten that it was Valentine's day... (both years). We even went to Palo the first year and there was no acknowledgement of Valentine's day...

Wow! Your 2016 info is more up to date than mine. Really sad that they have eliminated the chocolates and flowers despite the increasing fares.

Oh, I forgot to mention...We scored Palo reservations as rookie DCL cruisers last year. So it is possible. Just be flexible as to the times, and you'll probably get in.

Note that we really don't "get" Pirate night (aren't pirates like a massive problem today? Why are we glorifying pirates????) so our flexibility with pirate night vs. Valentine's day vs. Palo reservations was a no brainer... although seriously, you have to really go looking for signs of Valentines day. It is very weird.

• 10 months later...
This will be our third year in a row on a ship on Valentine's Day. And I concur, it's barely acknowledged. If you want romance you'll have to come up with it yourself.

If you are on the Dream over Valentine's Day, my son is a photographer on the Dream, and it just happens to be his birthday on Valentine's Day. His name is Tyler, please don't hesitate to wish him a Happy Birthday, it is his first one away from home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk